Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2018, 05:01 PM

856 posts, read 2,015,197 times

Advertisements

Washed the car this morning...over 40 feels nice for us but also activates that chem crap all over the roads.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:37 AM

845 posts, read 680,304 times

It's still chilly out there, but it's not horrible. I walked into work without my parka zipped up. These temps feel refreshing compared to what we had before. Looking ahead...

Looks A-ok to me. Beach party on Friday anyone?

Old 01-10-2018, 09:03 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
You are welcome. I owe you one (or five) on the rep. The 1960-1 event I only remember from music and history. I have a picture of myself playing in snow after the March 3, 1960 with a snowman I must have just helped make. The sky was deep blue. I was a bundled up child just a month short of turning three. I would never be that bundled up at any age I have control over my garb; I am pretty resistant to cold.

Do you have the date on that storm. We had only 3-4" storms in my area that winter, at least counting the ones that didn't turn to rain.

I was up at Cornell even further west. The best we could do was about 1" from snow showers.

If the very similar though not identical winter of 1960-1 is any guide (this one is a La Niña and that one was neutral) we have one or two sieges of cold and/or snow. That winter we had a major storm around December 11, and the ones I mentioned on January 20 and February 3-4. The latter two events featured the longest cold wave in modern history. It ain't over yet.
The 1960-1 storm, I have no idea of the date. But my town never called school off. They actually called school off that day! And it was probably the next day that I had to walk to school down the middle of the street. There were hardly any cars out so it wasn't dangerous. It was a foot of heavy type snow and this was in the upper CT River Valley.

It could have been the same winter that we had the record breaking cold. May have been the year my dad built a big igloo in the back yard. I wasn't keeping track of years back then but I was writing in my diary--which I have thrown away! But the diary turned to a weather diary for a while so there must have been a lot of winter weather going on in that year. I had a new expression that I used in my diary that I copied from what I heard on tv, "snow, sleet, and rain." It was a pretty dire mixture! The weather people were hysterically excited, lol. Could well have been early March with the heavy (wet) snow and then the snow, sleet, and rain mixture.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:31 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The 1960-1 storm, I have no idea of the date.
The date was probably February 3, 1961. As far as asking the date I was confused by your post. It referred to a "1967-8 storm" which to my memory didn't happen. It's not outside the realm of possibility that a 1967-8 storm was mostly rain near New York City but there would be a sharp cut-off between rain and snow. There was a storm on or about March 3, 1971 and other one the following week that matched that description. The last time I went skiing with my father before his untimely death was after one of those two storms, at Butternut Basin, in Great Barrington, Massachusetts.

Quote:
But my town never called school off. They actually called school off that day! And it was probably the next day that I had to walk to school down the middle of the street. There were hardly any cars out so it wasn't dangerous. It was a foot of heavy type snow and this was in the upper CT River Valley.
That would point towards the February 3 storm. The other big storms that winter, December 11-12, 1960 and January 19-20, 1961 were low temperature, blowing and drifting events.

Quote:
It could have been the same winter that we had the record breaking cold. May have been the year my dad built a big igloo in the back yard. I wasn't keeping track of years back then but I was writing in my diary--which I have thrown away! But the diary turned to a weather diary for a while so there must have been a lot of winter weather going on in that year. I had a new expression that I used in my diary that I copied from what I heard on tv, "snow, sleet, and rain." It was a pretty dire mixture! The weather people were hysterically excited, lol. Could well have been early March with the heavy (wet) snow and then the snow, sleet, and rain mixture.
That would point to 1960-1. One of my weather buddies mentioned there was an "event" during the 1960-1 winter, after February 3, 1961, of which I was unaware.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:46 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The date was probably February 3, 1961. As far as asking the date I was confused by your post. It referred to a "1967-8 storm" which to my memory didn't happen. It's not outside the realm of possibility that a 1967-8 storm was mostly rain near New York City but there would be a sharp cut-off between rain and snow. There was a storm on or about March 3, 1971 and other one the following week that matched that description. The last time I went skiing with my father before his untimely death was after one of those two storms, at Butternut Basin, in Great Barrington, Massachusetts.

That would point towards the February 3 storm. The other big storms that winter, December 11-12, 1960 and January 19-20, 1961 were low temperature, blowing and drifting events.

That would point to 1960-1. One of my weather buddies mentioned there was an "event" during the 1960-1 winter, after February 3, 1961, of which I was unaware.
Speaking of 1971, there is a famous Thanksgiving storm that is like what you describe on March 3 as well. In NYC it was rain with a little snow mixed in that was non-sticking (though combined with the wind it is the only year to date in the history of the Macy's parade they completely pulled the balloons), but massives snows not too far inland.....2 feet of snow as close as Poughkeepsie (I'm willing to bet significant snow in Danbury and Hartford as well). I do not remember it at all as I had just turned 4 but I read about it.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Speaking of 1971, there is a famous Thanksgiving storm that is like what you describe on March 3 as well. In NYC it was rain with a little snow mixed in that was non-sticking (though combined with the wind it is the only year to date in the history of the Macy's parade they completely pulled the balloons), but massives snows not too far inland.....2 feet of snow as close as Poughkeepsie (I'm willing to bet significant snow in Danbury and Hartford as well). I do not remember it at all as I had just turned 4 but I read about it.
I actually remember it. We were eating Thanksgiving dinner and watching large, wind-whipped snowflakes outside our window. I was set for a Christmas break trip to a ski camp near Jiminy Peak and was overjoyed. The joy was not to last; the next three-four weeks were warm and it all melted. The second or third day of the trip it snowed. Combined with fierce snowmaking it helped but it was not consolation. Only 6-8" fell.

That wasn't the only thing miserable about the trip but that's a topic for a bullying thread.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I actually remember it. We were eating Thanksgiving dinner and watching large, wind-whipped snowflakes outside our window. I was set for a Christmas break trip to a ski camp near Jiminy Peak and was overjoyed. The joy was not to last; the next three-four weeks were warm and it all melted. Typical La Niña crip.

The second or third day of the trip it snowed. Combined with fierce snowmaking it helped but it was not consolation. Only 6-8" fell.

That wasn't the only thing miserable about the trip but that's a topic for a bullying thread.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:33 PM

845 posts, read 680,304 times

3 PM temps. Was just outside for a bit, a lot of the snow is melting and the sun felt pretty good.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:57 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
You guys ready for warmth, tropical , heavy rain, fog and snow melt?

Rain starts Friday 7am ends Saturday 11am. Might change to ice for some on Saturday

Old 01-10-2018, 05:03 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Hmmm. Another 50 mile shift south and we could be looking at a big ice threat Saturday.

To be honest... i dont think the surface will be below freezing before the upper level is. Which means I think it would be sleet or snow, not freezing rain

https://twitter.com/weatherbell/stat...35212171710464
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut