Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2018, 04:30 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,510,896 times

Advertisements

Ill take weeks of rain over this...

My wife is in Austin, TX for work...

No thanks...

Old 07-21-2018, 06:42 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
4:30-8:30pm Radar & Wind Gust loop centered on D.C where it's been heavy rain for pretty much past 8hrs setting some records and flooding.

Those little homes are flooding reports. Temps in the 60s out there. Even in Richmond at this hour.

Winds are constant here. Love this weather!!! Rain close now. Windows open for now.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:46 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,785,035 times
Really can't complain about the weather, this summer has been AWESOME, lets just hope this thing gets out of here after a stormy night. Was out on the water all day and the wind was intense, but fun!

Old 07-22-2018, 05:59 AM

Some precip totals past 24hrs

3:40-7:40am loop. Precip moving north over North Carolina while south over Indiana. Upper Low spinning over the Ohio Valley. Impressive for Mid Summer.

Looks like rain is done for us...for now. Will stay cloudy though with more chances this evening and tonight.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:31 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times
Cambium - sorry about your tree!

Are you going to get it cut down?

Old 07-22-2018, 07:46 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Wow, Cam. Looks like an old tree! I hope it survives.
I was working on a flightline and we always shut down operations during lightning. One time a plane taxied in but the line guys couldn't go out and park them. They sat for a long time complaining. Then lightning hit the acft right below the pilot's side window. They shut up and parked themselves.
All this to say there was minimal visible damage. The electrical might have traveled straight to ground through your tree. Hopefully.

And about today. Feels mighty muggy with the windows open!

Old 07-22-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Ill take weeks of rain over this...
My wife is in Austin, TX for work...

No thanks...
Yeah, its been nuts with that SouthWest Ridge. 100s up to Colorado and 90s up to Canada. It was 106F at 3500' in Texas. Elevation didn't help. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN_224 View Post
Me and a friend road through pockets of this heavy rain, off and on. We went up to Troy, NY for the Brooklyn vs Tri-City baseball game at Joseph L. Bruno Stadium. The sun actually poked out a time or two before sunset. Of course we went north and west to greater Albany, knowing the line would almost certainly end there first. Here's the weird part...our routing from the WestFarms Mall area:

I-84 West>>CT 4 West>>CT/MA 8 North>>US Route 20 West>>I-90 West into greater Albany

Very scenic change of pace...despite the rain. Hadn't been in a couple of those towns since like 1989? First time in Litchfield County and the city of Torrington in nearly 25 years. I was in Winchester, the village of Winsted and then Colebrook for the first time.

Tough to tell with all the rain...but this was CT/MA Route 8, crossing from Colebrook, CT to Sandisfield, MA.

Soon after getting into the stadium. Picture was 6:08 PM.

Looking above the beginning of the third base line. Picture was at 8:01 PM.

The "fun" part was the patchy fog coming back on I-90/Massachusetts Turnpike. First noticed it going from the "free" part of I-90 southeast of Albany to the Berkshire Spur toll section. A bit of fog after the MA border, cleared up a lot at the Turnpike high point of 1,724 feet ASL near mile marker 20...then quite thick later before the runaway truck ramp (eastbound) and the Westfield River area.

The rapid cloud movement in Springfield along I-91 South was a bit freaky. It definitely still rained later from this area southward back into Connecticut!

Nice story and pics! We need more of this in this thread.. change of pace a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
Cambium - sorry about your tree!

Are you going to get it cut down?

I'd love for wind to take it down so I don't have to pay anyone. But it might be on city property so I may get lucky and have the city take it down for me. But I am waiting and staring everyday at it watching for signs and I THINK I see something already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Wow, Cam. Looks like an old tree! I hope it survives.
I was working on a flightline and we always shut down operations during lightning. One time a plane taxied in but the line guys couldn't go out and park them. They sat for a long time complaining. Then lightning hit the acft right below the pilot's side window. They shut up and parked themselves.
All this to say there was minimal visible damage. The electrical might have traveled straight to ground through your tree. Hopefully.

And about today. Feels mighty muggy with the windows open!

1 minute before the strike I was in my yard about 50 feet away, I wouldn't be here right now if something didn't tell me to turn around and go back in. Voltage travels along the ground. Those taxi guys or whoever makes decisions was 1000% right.

If a Thunderstorm is close, get off the ground!

Watch what happens to these soccer players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNJRPOltifI

Old 07-22-2018, 06:14 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
1 minute before the strike I was in my yard about 50 feet away, I wouldn't be here right now if something didn't tell me to turn around and go back in. Voltage travels along the ground. Those taxi guys or whoever makes decisions was 1000% right.
I've heard that there's a static in the air right before lightning strikes - like your hair standing up. Did you feel any of that? Thank GOD you went in. How very scary!!

AND btw, it's showering very nicely here in Clinton. Keep it coming!

Old 07-22-2018, 06:43 PM

4:30-8:30pm Radar and Satellite loop.

Even though those small specs are scattered about, it's dropping some heavy rain in spots.

Only 0.05" today but looks like we got some incoming now off the Atlantic.

Moisture moving North over NC and South over KY. #Spinning

Old 07-22-2018, 08:00 PM

1,572 posts, read 1,561,204 times
I went to the New Britain Bees game today (Sunday, July 22nd). It started on time. We had a hefty wind-blown drizzle shower, from right to left field in the 6th inning. The game was delayed in the middle of the 7th inning. I left then. It turned out that it was a rain-shortened 14-1 win for New Britain. Yes...14-1 over the Road Warriors. They used to be the Bridgeport Bluefish. Next year, they become the High Point (NC) Rockers.

The Atlantic League called THIS 2,922 fans. Total B.S.!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut