Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2017, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,057 times

Advertisements

We own the shared driveway, it's on our property, but 2 other neighbors have the right to use via easement to and from their property. The neighbor right across from me over the driveway has been running her piano lesson business from her home, the cars in and out are endless 5-6 days a week, my car has been backed into 2x already and countless near misses, because these lots are less then. 27 acres each, theres not alot of room for this, parking for 2 cars per lot, and she's got 4-5 coming in at a time and parking them on her lawn. Does this easement allow her access for her clients to come in and out? This is crazy we didn't buy a home to live next to a business, she bought her house after us and knew it was a shared driveway!
This is zoned residential in a very rural area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 06:26 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,087,107 times
I'd file a complaint with the town...

Old 09-18-2017, 06:40 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,229,094 times
Yes - contact someone in your town's Zoning Department. Your neighbor should have filed some sort of application to operate a client-based home office. If they didn't, they should cease immediately. If they want to go through the proper channels to operate one, then you can fight/oppose it at the zoning hearing, especially in light of the fact of the easement over your property and the fact that it would adversely affect you personally. After all, that was not the original intent of the right of way which was granted. It was granted to give them access to their HOME. Period. Not to give access to a commercial business

Old 09-18-2017, 07:38 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Yes - contact someone in your town's Zoning Department. Your neighbor should have filed some sort of application to operate a client-based home office. If they didn't, they should cease immediately. If they want to go through the proper channels to operate one, then you can fight/oppose it at the zoning hearing, especially in light of the fact of the easement over your property and the fact that it would adversely affect you personally. After all, that was not the original intent of the right of way which was granted. It was granted to give them access to their HOME. Period. Not to give access to a commercial business
I agree the OP should contact their towns zoning office but I am not sure they will get the answer they want. In most towns a home business like giving piano lessons is allowed. And that easement likely gives them full access to their house without any limits. Also what is the OP's definition of "heavy traffic"? Two or three cars an hour is not heavy by any stretch. Still I hope they can resolve this. Jay

Old 09-18-2017, 08:12 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,454,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree the OP should contact their towns zoning office but I am not sure they will get the answer they want. In most towns a home business like giving piano lessons is allowed. And that easement likely gives them full access to their house without any limits. Also what is the OP's definition of "heavy traffic"? Two or three cars an hour is not heavy by any stretch. Still I hope they can resolve this. Jay
Have to agree with Jay. Depends on the town. Rural zoning in most towns is very forgiving of home business. But it varies alot town by town. A friend of my wife ran a similar business in South Windsor. The town did say they were limited to two customer cars at a time.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:30 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Any town I've lived in is fine allowing people to run a business out of their home in single family home residential zoning. The usual rule where I've lived is that they can only have one employee. Doctor. Dentist. Attorney. Accountant. Hairdresser. Architect. They all typically have a couple customers per hour and some have more like 5 or 6. It could be worse. It could be a daycare business where 10 cars show up every morning at 7:30 to dump their kids.

As you say, the easement on the deed likely has no restrictions. That's pretty easily answered by reading your deed. I have an easement on mine. I own 100 feet of the private lane I live on. My neighbor next to me has a right of way across the first 20 feet of my land. There's also an easement for their utility service. Their water, sewer, and natural gas line runs under my land. Their electric, cable, and telephone runs over it.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:00 AM

830 posts, read 1,092,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanslybo View Post
We own the shared driveway, it's on our property, but 2 other neighbors have the right to use via easement to and from their property. The neighbor right across from me over the driveway has been running her piano lesson business from her home, the cars in and out are endless 5-6 days a week, my car has been backed into 2x already and countless near misses, because these lots are less then. 27 acres each, theres not alot of room for this, parking for 2 cars per lot, and she's got 4-5 coming in at a time and parking them on her lawn. Does this easement allow her access for her clients to come in and out? This is crazy we didn't buy a home to live next to a business, she bought her house after us and knew it was a shared driveway!
This is zoned residential in a very rural area.
Have you tried talking to your neighbor yet about your concerns?

Old 09-19-2017, 08:33 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,964,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It could be a daycare business where 10 cars show up every morning at 7:30 to dump their kids.
7:30? Try 5:30 - AM and PM. Luckily no shared driveway .

Can't she have her clients park on the street?

Is there a place you can park your car where it's a little more out of the way or do they have to pass your house/car to get to hers?

Can you put up signs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut