Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 06:17 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Jay - you live in Glastonbury, so would not hit traffic going north on 91 from Middletown during rush hour most likely.

The only times I ran into longer than a 5-10 minute delay was when there was an accident. You just need to learn the right areas to avoid - stay to the left to avoid the traffic exiting to Glastonbury/Putnam Bridge/Rte 3 around Exit 25/26 and then move back to the right hand lanes after the exit 29A to the Charter Oak Bridge to avoid people exiting into Hartford.
I’ve sat in that traffic many times. It is not a 5-10 minute delay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 09:49 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Jay - you live in Glastonbury, so would not hit traffic going north on 91 from Middletown during rush hour most likely.

The only times I ran into longer than a 5-10 minute delay was when there was an accident. You just need to learn the right areas to avoid - stay to the left to avoid the traffic exiting to Glastonbury/Putnam Bridge/Rte 3 around Exit 25/26 and then move back to the right hand lanes after the exit 29A to the Charter Oak Bridge to avoid people exiting into Hartford.
NewJeff - Exit 29 on I-91 NB is notorious for major backups. There is normally a 1 1/2 mile backup of cars in the right lane of I-91 northbound waiting to get off at that exit which goes to the Charter Oak Bridge. There are a lot of drivers that bypass that line of cars and then try to cut into it closer to the exit. This blocks the middle lane of I-91 NB and causes a lot of accidents every day. It is so bad the state is spending $200 million to reconstruct that interchange. They would not spend that much money there if it only caused drivers a few minute delay. This is one of Malloy's so called legacy projects and he is pushing to have it under construction before he leaves office in November. Jay

Old 02-08-2018, 07:47 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
A few points...

Hartford is 104 miles to Boston and about 107 miles to NYC, so Boston is not closer and it's about 1hr 45 mins to each...

Second point... highway traffic congestion is a joke in Providence compared to Hartford's 95/91/2..
I wasn't talking about living in Hartford. I was talking about living closer to BDL, where he intends to work. And yes, traffic in Providence area can be horrible. If you live near BDL, and work there, you'll never have to deal with traffic, unless you poorly time driving to recreation.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:28 AM

413 posts, read 317,752 times
From Clemens Place in the West End of Hartford to BDL is about a half hour ride (back way, no I-91). Pretty much the same time from West Hartford Center.

It is a reverse commute.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:37 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,961,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
NewJeff - Exit 29 on I-91 NB is notorious for major backups. There is normally a 1 1/2 mile backup of cars in the right lane of I-91 northbound waiting to get off at that exit which goes to the Charter Oak Bridge. There are a lot of drivers that bypass that line of cars and then try to cut into it closer to the exit. This blocks the middle lane of I-91 NB and causes a lot of accidents every day. It is so bad the state is spending $200 million to reconstruct that interchange. They would not spend that much money there if it only caused drivers a few minute delay. This is one of Malloy's so called legacy projects and he is pushing to have it under construction before he leaves office in November. Jay
The backup is in the right lane, and there is some backup in the middle lane because jerks try to cut into the exit lane right before the exit. if you know it's coming, it's easily avoidable by going into the left lane.

From Exit 24 in Rocky Hill to Exit 29A in Hartford is only about 5 miles in distance and 6 miles to getting past Exit 32/33 - there are rarely backups or slowdowns before that on 91 North in the morning unless there is an accident.

If traffic is slowed to half speed , that 5 mile stretch takes 10 minutes instead of 5. If it's really backed up and is 1/3 of normal speed, then that 5 mile stretch takes 15 minutes instead of 5.

My backups on 9 North at the Middletown lights were often 10 to 15 minutes each morning.

I would think the traffic on 84 both ways through Hartford is worse (isn't that the busiest stretch in the state?) and also on 95 between New Haven and NY.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:52 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
The backup is in the right lane, and there is some backup in the middle lane because jerks try to cut into the exit lane right before the exit. if you know it's coming, it's easily avoidable by going into the left lane.

From Exit 24 in Rocky Hill to Exit 29A in Hartford is only about 5 miles in distance and 6 miles to getting past Exit 32/33 - there are rarely backups or slowdowns before that on 91 North in the morning unless there is an accident.

If traffic is slowed to half speed , that 5 mile stretch takes 10 minutes instead of 5. If it's really backed up and is 1/3 of normal speed, then that 5 mile stretch takes 15 minutes instead of 5.

My backups on 9 North at the Middletown lights were often 10 to 15 minutes each morning.

I would think the traffic on 84 both ways through Hartford is worse (isn't that the busiest stretch in the state?) and also on 95 between New Haven and NY.
That section of I-91 has been identified by CTDOT as having one of the highest rates of accidents (an average of 250 accidents each year) in the state which is why the Exit 29 project is such a high priority. Again I would not recommend commuting through that area unless they have to. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut