Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 11:17 AM

66 posts, read 24,194 times

Advertisements

Westport is best for me because it has the river walk and bridge along with a nice mix of shops and restaurants. It also has a nice church in the back if you walk the full circle.

Ridgefield downtown is really cute with all the historical houses with the big nice lawns around downtown area, a variety of shops and restaurants, the art museum and park in the downtown area also adds to the charm.

Fairfield/West Hartford/new Canaan/Greenwich are nice to walk around but lack the unique charming/scenic factor.

Essex and Chester are charming but too small and lack shops.

Wilton/Darion: didn’t realize they have downtown, thought just shopping plaza

Milford: the only time we visited it seems a little bit dirty and rundown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2024, 11:31 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,635,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reslinal View Post

Milford: the only time we visited it seems a little bit dirty and rundown.
??? You sure you’re in the actual downtown of Milford? I’ve never heard this before ever.

Old 03-06-2024, 11:36 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
??? You sure you’re in the actual downtown of Milford? I’ve never heard this before ever.
Yeah that's a first!

It's got the unique mix of the waterfalls/duck ponds, harbor, and green. Not sure any other town has all that, plus a train station.

Also Essex and Chester absolutely have shops. And several restaurants.

Old 03-06-2024, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Maybe we went to the wrong one? Is that the one with a restaurant that has a small pond/waterfall view?

Old 03-06-2024, 11:58 AM

6,878 posts, read 3,729,789 times
Quote:
Maybe we went to the wrong one? Is that the one with a restaurant that has a small pond/waterfall view?
Probably thinking the Stonebridge in Milford. That area is not rundown.
All CT towns/cities centers are tremendous. This is where CT really shines.

Old 03-06-2024, 12:00 PM

6,878 posts, read 3,729,789 times
Quote:
As for Downtowns: Milford and Guilford are my favorites by far!

Then I'd say Essex, Chester, Litchfield, Stonington Borough (if that counts as Downtown Stonington), Old Saybrook, Madison, and Branford.

Fairfield and West Hartford also have some really nice downtowns but they're pretty busy and can be quite crowded, which is why I wouldn't call them my top.
You sound like you just go by the Town Tournament 101 playbook for downtowns

Old 03-06-2024, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Probably thinking the Stonebridge in Milford. That area is not rundown.
All CT towns/cities centers are tremendous. This is where CT really shines.
Yeah I think rundown is the wrong word to use. We went in a windy/cloudy day and the streets were a little bit dirty, probably that’s why it left a bad impression on us.

Old 03-06-2024, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1615 View Post
if you like westport & ridgefield downtowns, you will probably enjoy New Canaan as well
Yes New Canaan is nice. It feels better than Fairfield but just doesn’t have the water views of westport or the houses/greens of ridgefield.

Old 03-06-2024, 01:48 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
Quote:
Yeah I think rundown is the wrong word to use. We went in a windy/cloudy day and the streets were a little bit dirty, probably that’s why it left a bad impression on us.
In winter? The streets around there are typically immaculate. Next time visit the harbor, green, and northern duck pond area above city hall

Old 03-06-2024, 02:25 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
I can’t believe that no one recently mentioned one of the best downtowns in the state, if not New England: Middletown. It has a ton of great restaurants and bars plus some great stores and shops including the iconic Amato’s Toy & Hobby and the wonderful Wesleyan RJ Julia Bookstore. Thats hard to beat.

https://www.amatosmiddletown.com/

https://www.wesleyanrjjulia.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut