Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 10:03 AM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Collinsville is not even a town. It's an area part of Canton. However, the center of Collinsville has a few good shops but I wouldn't say its that special.
I'd agree but it's aesthetically pretty cool and unique. Almost reminds me of older towns out West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2024, 10:04 AM

6,901 posts, read 3,742,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1615 View Post
Isn't that most downtowns now a days? A few places like New Canaan and Wesport have several chain stores but most have maybe two or three local shops/boutiques that are still in business followed by some restaurants and then the local chain pizza place, a subway, a dunkin, and maybe if your in luck a coffee/tea shop.
Fairfield, Westport, Darien and New Canaan are for all intents and purposes these days glorified outdoor malls. Nice still, don't get me wrong, but glorified sugarcoated outdoor malls, make no mistake.
I like Sono's maritime features and character which stand out as a little different. There are no Abercrombies or Chicos.

Downtowns and centers are the heart, soul and passion of CT. People go ballistic over them.

Old 03-07-2024, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I like the chester downtown, it's like a mini version of New Hope, PA but it's definitely more for a couple than a family with kids.
Hmm, I always see families there when we visit (and lots of dogs). Hitting restaurants/shops and Honeycone.

Old 03-07-2024, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Isn't that most downtowns now a days? A few places like New Canaan and Wesport have several chain stores but most have maybe two or three local shops/boutiques that are still in business followed by some restaurants and then the local chain pizza place, a subway, a dunkin, and maybe if your in luck a coffee/tea shop.
No, I don't think so. Most of my favorite downtowns have no/few chains. You won't find a chain in Milford, Guilford, Essex, Chester, Stonington Borough, Litchfield, Bethel, etc. All local.

One I'd add to this thread that maybe hasn't been mentioned is Westville in New Haven. It has the appearance/charm of a small town downtown and has had an increasingly great mix of businesses open. With a rustic view of West Rock.

Old 03-07-2024, 10:27 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,721,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Collinsville is not even a town. It's an area part of Canton. However, the center of Collinsville has a few good shops but I wouldn't say its that special.
The town hosts special events in downtown Collinsville, and that area comes alive. In October, they host a large Halloween party where they close the streets to cars and hundreds of pedestrians roam the downtown area. Kids get dressed up in costumes (as do some adults) while their parents grab beer from the bar at LaSalle Market and walk around outside and enjoy the camaraderie. Then in December you have the Champagne Walk right before Christmas where downtown is lit up. For a small area, it's a nice little treat. The commercial district is small I agree, but that's just part of the area's downtown charm. They have many recreational activities, and IMO that's where much of the appeal lies. There's a canoe and kayak rental shop where you can paddle on the river, or you can rent a bicycle and ride the rail trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo
I'd agree but it's aesthetically pretty cool and unique. Almost reminds me of older towns out West.
I could see that. It also reminds me of one of the small downtowns you see in Cape Cod like in Orleans or Wellfleet (where the CC Rail Trail bisects these towns.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo
One I'd add to this thread that maybe hasn't been mentioned is Westville in New Haven. It has the appearance of a small town downtown and has had an increasingly great mix of businesses open.
Westville is great. IMO it's similar to Park Road in West Hartford: a suburban area on the outskirts of a city with its own separate Main Street, so it feels like a mini city. Westville has lots of cool little spots that I enjoy visiting (Pistachio, Camacho Garage, Westville General Store, etc.) and the residential streets are filled with big, beautiful old homes. I have a few friends who live there and they love it. Westville actually used to be a separate municipality until it was annexed by New Haven. I believe the Amity neighborhood also was, but I'm not positive about that.

Old 03-07-2024, 01:40 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,026 times
I don't think it's the best downtown but I will again throw out Manchester for the really good downtown. There are two breweries within walking distance (Urban Lodge and Labyrinth). There are also two ice cream shops multiple pizza places and restaurants (more opening this year). As well as a higher end restaurant with Auroa. There are antique, jewelry, hardware store and gift shops, You even have Firestone art cafe for something more to do.

Old 03-07-2024, 01:50 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
I don't think it's the best downtown but I will again throw out Manchester for the really good downtown. There are two breweries within walking distance (Urban Lodge and Labyrinth). There are also two ice cream shops multiple pizza places and restaurants (more opening this year). As well as a higher end restaurant with Auroa. There are antique, jewelry, hardware store and gift shops, You even have Firestone art cafe for something more to do.
Mulberry Street Pizza in Manchester is great. Worth a trip.

Old 03-07-2024, 02:34 PM

66 posts, read 24,301 times
How is Simsbury’s downtown? I have never visited but heard some good things about it, yet did not see it mentioned here.

Old 03-07-2024, 07:20 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reslinal View Post
How is Simsbury’s downtown? I have never visited but heard some good things about it, yet did not see it mentioned here.
It’s small. It has a small walkable section but the quickly changes to the typical suburban strip centers. I don’t think it’s worth a special trip.

Old 03-11-2024, 10:40 PM

4,422 posts, read 5,152,830 times
Loved New Canaan, Westport and Greenwich. Would like to see Madison, Essex and Wallingford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut