Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 07:59 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,667,655 times

Advertisements

My daughter is choosing between Trinity and Conn College, but Trinity is the one where she felt "this is the place I want to go."

The stats I've seen are that Trinity has the highest crime rate of the CT colleges/universities. The campus was lovely though. The tour guide informed us she never felt unsafe, and there is security on campus, like most schools.

I imagine that, like anywhere, the students should always be aware of their surroundings and walk with others at night.

Any input on whether she should reconsider her top choice? She'd be coming from a small suburb of Portland, ME, so Hartford would be a bit different. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 11:11 AM

6,122 posts, read 5,090,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
My daughter is choosing between Trinity and Conn College, but Trinity is the one where she felt "this is the place I want to go."

The stats I've seen are that Trinity has the highest crime rate of the CT colleges/universities. The campus was lovely though. The tour guide informed us she never felt unsafe, and there is security on campus, like most schools.

I imagine that, like anywhere, the students should always be aware of their surroundings and walk with others at night.

Any input on whether she should reconsider her top choice? She'd be coming from a small suburb of Portland, ME, so Hartford would be a bit different. Thanks!
^This.

The campus itself is safe. The issue would be--you don't want to go wandering off campus, especially after dark. The neighborhood just west of there has had a high crime rate including several homicides over the past few years. Getting to/from campus--you need to pretty much know where you're going, and not get lost.

If safety is your primary concern, you would have more peace of mind with Connecticut College for sure. I don't know that reputationally they're that different...both in the NESCAC conference.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:57 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Hartford is a large city and like any big city, it has its good and bad areas. The area around Trinity has some issues but it is not really bad. As long as she is careful she should be fine. Jay

Old 04-07-2018, 12:06 PM

6,122 posts, read 5,090,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Hartford is a large city and like any big city, it has its good and bad areas. The area around Trinity has some issues but it is not really bad. As long as she is careful she should be fine. Jay
Maybe compared to the North End, and Albany corridor. By no means is the Trinity neighborhood considered a "safe" area within Hartford (I would only say that for the West End, Downtown, and the area near Goodwin Park). Obviously there are hundreds of students who attend Trinity with no incident but let's paint a realistic picture with an out-of-state parent who is concerned for safety, and is comparing it vs. their hometown in Maine.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:28 PM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
17.95 square miles isn't a "large city". Just Manhattan is 22.82 square miles. It's also small by population at 123,000 and population density. 1/4 of the city is rated "food desert".

Old 04-07-2018, 12:34 PM

14,048 posts, read 13,923,200 times
Not the worst area in Hartford but it can be little sketchy sometimes compare to area north of interstate I-84 know as North End which is worst. The campus is safe itself but any large city you need street smarts.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:43 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,625,596 times
Definitely a sketchy area. I’d stay on campus, and I don’t know of any on-campus incidents..

Honestly I doubt you’d want to go off campus in that area even if it was safe.

Old 04-07-2018, 03:38 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,667,655 times
Thanks for the replies. It is our understanding that kids don't go off campus that much anyway, or at least that's her plan.

Old 04-07-2018, 03:40 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
17.95 square miles isn't a "large city". Just Manhattan is 22.82 square miles. It's also small by population at 123,000 and population density. 1/4 of the city is rated "food desert".
Metropolitan Hartford has a population of over 1.2 million and is the 37th largest in the country, so yes it is a large city. I am not sure what a part of the city being a food desert has to do with this. Again that is likely true of any city. Jay

Old 04-07-2018, 04:07 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,878,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
While it does not have the population density of Manhattan or even the full 5 boros of NYC, it's population density of around 7000 people per square mile is similar to many cities big enough to have major league sports teams and only a few very large cities like Chicago, Philly or San Francisco really have population densities over 10000/sq mile anyway. It definitely would be on border of being the larger end of a "mid-size city" or the smaller end of a "large city".

It's metro area population as later quoted by Jay compares with places like Buffalo, Milwaukee, Cincinnati and New Orleans to give a comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut