Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2018, 08:52 AM

7 posts, read 5,676 times

Advertisements

We are planning a move from Massachusetts to CT. Husband works in Hartford and we have been looking at homes in the Farmington valley and Glastonbury. There is a house in Avon that we are considering. I have a daughter going to high school and we were looking at houses here since we had heard good things about the school district. But I have been hearing from some and reading reviews that there AHS has been on a decline and has a lack of resources and technology and a lack of communication. There is no 1:1 iPad or chromebook program like most high schools seem to have. And that the school rating is because of the students efforts and performance than the school itself.

I wanted to know if there is anyone who has kids in AHS and can tell us about the school. I have a younger daughter in elementary too. Thanks!

Last edited by Iris77; 07-12-2018 at 09:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 04:51 PM

464 posts, read 312,568 times
I don’t have kids in Avon schools but I can tell you it’s a wonderful town with great schools. Trying to nitpick Avon vs Simsbury vs Glastonbury is really splitting hairs. All have great schools, pick the town that works for you from a lifestyle standpoint and commuting and schools in any of those won’t be a concern

Old 07-12-2018, 06:02 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Avon is one of the most affluent towns in greater Hartford. It’s schools continually perform well above the state averages on standardized tests. I am not sure where you are reading these reviews but there are always going to be a few disgruntled parents complaining about something. I would take them with a grain of salt. I agree with Reilly to find a home that works for your family best. Avon is a wonderful town. If you find a home there that you like, I would not hesitate to buy it.

I do know that Glastonbury high school students have iPads but am not sure about other towns. I personally do not see the importance of this in the quality of education. It is the future and where all schools are going but School ratings are all about student efforts and performance and little to do with have an iPad. Jay

Old 07-12-2018, 07:45 PM

Thank you for your replies. Glastonbury is obviously the closest as far as commute is concerned but we have been unable to find a house we like yet, and we wanted to move in before the start of the school year.
I read the reviews on couple of sites from parents as well as students and what concerned me was some(not all) saying that schools are declining and technology and a lack of communication from school were just some examples people gave. I am not really concerned about the iPads part but yes, we are in a school system now where the ratings are not as good as Avon but the communication from school is strong with very good teachers.
I am sure I may be just overly concerned but a move and home purchase is a big thing for me and I always find this forum very helpful and thought this is the best place to ask.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:06 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Put Avon side by side with a Boston leafy inner suburb of similar size. I used to live in Winchester so I'll use that.

Winchester is now up to 22,000. Avon population is flat at 18,000.
Winchester is a bit more of a baby factory. More children. Less age 65+.
Avon is a bit less Asian but the demographics are otherwise similar.
Winchester is a bit higher in percent college educated since soaring housing costs have chased out the townies.
Winchester median household income is $150K vs $125K for Avon. The higher pay scale.

Both towns have poverty rates in the 2% range.

The demographics of Avon would give it a top-20 school system in metro Boston. Maybe top-10. It's the parents that matter, not the brick & mortar school or the teachers.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:04 AM

6,132 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Not to belittle the OP's inquiry...but in the 11 years that I've been reading/posting in this forum, this is the first time I've heard anyone express a concern about the Avon schools.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:54 PM

Thank you all again. As I said maybe just overthinking the whole thing. And we decided to go with the house.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:17 PM

6,132 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris77 View Post
Thank you all again. As I said maybe just overthinking the whole thing. And we decided to go with the house.
Good luck with the move. You'll love the area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut