Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 12:09 PM

215 posts, read 148,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I'll address these 1 by 1.

Sorry but she did the right thing. It's called neighborhood watching. I hope you do the same one day and report someone just sitting there on the street.
Noting it for later should something happen is much different from REPORTING it like you're saying.

Do you really report any cars on the street? who do you report them to?

If someone pulls over to talk on their phone, or reply to an email, following the law, you report those people?

Old 01-16-2019, 12:20 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,797 times
We have had some horrendous experiences with tenants in our neighborhood (not Fairfield - but we live in a neighborhood with a pretty broad spectrum of house sizes and affordability). I can understand being a concerned neighbor regarding a tenant if I had been burned previously. I have been too. Specifically on noise and on inappropriate storage of large items on the property.

IMO what you describe is a bit much.

The newspaper scenario is a straight overreaction and I would be pretty miffed at the neighbor who did that - it is a boundary stomp.

I can sort of get the concern about the trash - but more so in that it attracts animals than anything else.

But honestly beyond that, I am a little sad at the lack of empathy for a family with young kids. I remember how hard it was to have my stuff together when mine was a toddler and it sounds like your neighbors are very far removed from that time in their lives, or have no regard for personal circumstances.

I would get out of that neighborhood and not look back.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:20 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000fc View Post
Noting it for later should something happen is much different from REPORTING it like you're saying.

Do you really report any cars on the street? who do you report them to?

If someone pulls over to talk on their phone, or reply to an email, following the law, you report those people?
You’re taking this to a whole new level.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:22 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I think th OP needs to understand something. So since she acknowledged that there were issue with previous tenants the neighbors want to be sure the same people sues don’t happen again. Things like neglect usually start slow. A couple newspapers in the driveway, then the garbage pails, then the lawn, and so on. Before you know it the place is an eyesore. I am not saying the neighbor is right and could not have handled it better but the OP needs to understand and see the neighbors sided it.

Also I do need not see why she thinks the neighbors are wrong to look at her when she is parked on the street. It does not matter if she is dress d nice, in a new very car and has a baby. Criminals have lost N.Y. figured ways to fit into a neighborhood when casing the area. She should be glad and feel safer for the man looking at her closely. He is being watchful. Would you rather he and others ignor you and other people randomly in your neighborhood? I wouldn’t.

As Kidyankee noted that area is close to Bridgeport and crime there does spill over into Fairfield. This is the same in any inner suburbs across the country. Neighbors look out for odd behavior to stop crime. It’s the only way to do that. Again it will s a sign of caring neighbors, not meanness. Jay
If the neighbors are vigilantly watching her, they know what she drives. They are being purposely difficult IMO.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:43 PM

31 posts, read 21,497 times
Black rock is cool. True, not good for schools, unfortunately. Do enjoy its more laid back and bohemian sensibility. Seeing Fairfield from my attic would probably be the perfect way to experience it...it’s beautiful to look at but not necessarily as beautiful to live in lol

Old 01-16-2019, 12:52 PM

1000fc and hvexpat thanks for understanding why I felt creeped out! I don’t know if that man ever reported me but I do know now that I feel too uncomfortable to ever park on the street again for any reason. I guess I will have to stick to just haunting my own driveway or maybe creepily parking at the library or maybe in front of the old navy, if I’m feeling really bold

Old 01-16-2019, 12:58 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Some residents Fairfield are judgement base on income levels not bad as Darien or Westport

Old 01-16-2019, 01:03 PM

Yes, classism has crossed my mind. This seems silly to me as I have a higher education, am on one income temporarily and by choice and grew up a part of the Gold Coast myself but I guess some people don’t care to imagine the possibility of something outside of a stereotype. I do wonder if maybe our newspaper-crazy neighbor just dislikes sharing her space with “renters” as she and her husband are the only ones on our block who own their home. That thought makes me sad.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:06 PM

We invited an acquaintance from Westport once to our house and she was almost angry to see that we did not have a garage. She almost seemed to not be able to comprehend it. It was alarming. I have other stories as well but I will spare everyone

Last edited by Madamj; 01-16-2019 at 01:15 PM..

Old 01-16-2019, 02:00 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
It sounds like they are over-reacting and maybe they have nothing better to do.

That woman who called and cancelled your newspaper subscription sounds crazy. I think it must be illegal to cancel someone else's subscription anyway.

I've lived in rich towns and had nice neighbors but in a rich town one time someone called the police because a neighbor had parked their camper in the driveway for a few days. Yes, there was a town ordnance against doing that but the rest of us didn't mind it. We did resent the nosy neighbor who called the police and got everybody upset over nothing.

I've pulled over to the side of the road to answer my phone or to input a search into google and no one ever took down my license plate or stared at me.

Yet when I rented a beach house for a few years, the man who owned the land that all the houses were sitting on acted like the people you describe. He was a real low class lowlife type but he had money. Money does not buy class.

Your neighbors shouldn't be yelling at you. That's rude. If they have a problem (and parking in front of their house in a blizzard does sound like a problem) they should tell you nicely. I don't think I've ever let a newspaper or a package sit out but that's because it would look messy to me. But if someone else does, who cares? Now a PILE of newspapers would look suspicious, as if no one has been there for days.

As others have said, I think the problem is that people who lived there before you must have caused trouble. Also, you have a few neighbors who are just plain rude and have no manners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut