Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2019, 07:36 PM

6,590 posts, read 4,982,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
and have expired coupons, and pay cash but count out the the pennies one at a time for a little coin purse.
Oh geez!!!! Cashier "Your total is $11.99"
Customer "Hold on, I know I have change for that!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Luckily most only require the customer to sign the check and the cashier runs it through their little printer/scanner that fills in everything and converts it into an electronic payment. They then hand you back the check as a receipt.
I tried that exactly once and it was such a process I never did it again. It must've been their first day with it. Now I just use my phone which is even easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
It seems like a cash grab by business. Banana Republic in Stamford charged me a bag fee. Am I supposed to wear clothes home? The biggest sleaze operation is Target. If you order via online pickup then they automatically add $1 to order for reusable bag. If you don't use a bag, then it is your job to tell them to refund it. If not they take $1 anyway..scam
You're kidding! I always order online from them but get it shipped for free - looks like that's down to $25 now so not very bad.

I have seen that some of the stuff I used to order from them is now "pickup only" so I suspect I'll be switching some of my Target products to Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I don't believe your estimate is realistic. But even if you are right, if there are 15 people in line, an extra 30 seconds for each will add 7.5 minutes to the wait time in line. The big problem though is that Walmart will never add more cashiers to deal with the increased time to check each customer out. So the lines will just get longer and longer.
When I bring my bag into Petco, I put all the cans of food in it. Then I walk up to the register and the cashier dumps it all out to scan it in (first time they literally dumped it and then had to rearrange everything, so now I pull them out in order). Then they scan and put back in the bag. It does take longer that way. I suppose I could go back to using the basket but it seems silly to carry two things around the store.

Quote:
From what I have seen, not great. But I can only imagine it being much worse without the carousels. I have never actually shopped in a Walmart that didn't give out plastic bags. So I'm not sure what Walmarts solution to the problem is. I have shopped at other stores that were banned from giving out free and plastic bags. More upscale supermarkets seemed to deal with it best. They have a lot of staff on hand, and usually have checkout stands set up with a checker who takes the items out of the customers cart, and a bagger who bags them. In that case if the customer brings their own bags, or buys bags the bagger can usually bag them without much problem. If the customer, doesn't bring bags and doesn't buy them either, the bagger just waits for the checker to finish ringing up the order, then the bagger and the checker dump all of the items back in the cart lose. I just don't see how that could work well with Walmarts system.
I thought Whole Foods and Trader Joes were always paper before this happened? Same with the Heath Shoppe in the Manchester Parkade. But get this - as soon as the bag tax started, they started asking if I wanted a bag and then would reach for a plastic one! What?! For years you would only hand me a small paper bag and now you want sell me plastic? They seem to have finally figured it out, I haven't been asked about a plastic bag there for awhile.

CVS had the carousel too, I'll have to look and see if it's still there next time I'm there.

Last edited by JayCT; 11-19-2019 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: Removed response to personal attack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 08:45 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I thought Whole Foods and Trader Joes were always paper before this happened? Same with the Heath Shoppe in the Manchester Parkade. But get this - as soon as the bag tax started, they started asking if I wanted a bag and then would reach for a plastic one! What?! For years you would only hand me a small paper bag and now you want sell me plastic? They seem to have finally figured it out, I haven't been asked about a plastic bag there for awhile.

CVS had the carousel too, I'll have to look and see if it's still there next time I'm there.
I'm pretty sure that Trader Joe's offers both plastic and paper bags where they are allowed to. But from what I have seen, most of Trader Joe's customers buy the expensive Trader Joe's shopping bags, to show everyone they are one of the cool ones who shop at Trader Joe's. LOL.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:10 PM

215 posts, read 148,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
The cash grab is by the state. They forced businesses to charge 10 cents per bag as a tax to be paid to the state. Plastic bags are much cheaper than paper.
Again, it is NOT a cash grab by the state.
Its a method to reduce usage of plastic bags. Making money from it is a side benefit.

Old 11-20-2019, 06:28 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,186,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
It seems like a cash grab by business. Banana Republic in Stamford charged me a bag fee. Am I supposed to wear clothes home? The biggest sleaze operation is Target. If you order via online pickup then they automatically add $1 to order for reusable bag. If you don't use a bag, then it is your job to tell them to refund it. If not they take $1 anyway..scam
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000fc View Post
Its a method to reduce usage of plastic bags. Making money from it is a side benefit.
Get the bigger picture thanks. But following the money it's going to the state.

Old 11-20-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that Trader Joe's offers both plastic and paper bags where they are allowed to. But from what I have seen, most of Trader Joe's customers buy the expensive Trader Joe's shopping bags, to show everyone they are one of the cool ones who shop at Trader Joe's. LOL.
I've only been there a few times, I'm not sure on the plastic. I am happy to use the sturdy paper bag with handles though. Guess I am not cool lol

Old 11-20-2019, 06:38 AM

6,921 posts, read 3,757,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Get the bigger picture thanks. But following the money it's going to the state.
I thought the state banned PLASTIC bags. Why are stores charging for paper bags then?
Initialy I was behind the effort of getting consumers in the habit of reusables, but I agree with CT Yank.
It's now morphed into a two-headed monster. A joint grab by both the state and the greedy corps like Banana Republic and their sh#tty clothing manufactured overseas by slave labour in Indonesia or God knows where.
Why are they charging for PAPER!

Old 11-20-2019, 08:48 AM

442 posts, read 456,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000fc View Post
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but an interesting article from NPR about how banning plastic bags from grocery stores actually adds to the amount of plastic people use. Basically, people who reused shopping bags for trash can liners or picking up dog poop are now buying bags to do the same thing, except these bags are a lot thicker than the flimsy grocery store bags.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2...g-bans-garbage

If it's already been posted/discussed, sorry.

Old 11-20-2019, 09:23 AM

5,955 posts, read 2,883,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
and have expired coupons, and pay cash but count out the the pennies one at a time for a little coin purse.
Yes I do that and then ask for a pen to write the check.Then rewrite the check because I put in the wrong date

Old 11-20-2019, 09:28 AM

5,955 posts, read 2,883,450 times
Quote:
Exactly, and the cost will ultimately just be passed on to consumers. It's just a tax on the poor. Meanwhile we will ignore all the other plastics around us. These bag laws are so superficial. Sure they will probably eliminate the occasional plastic bag blowing down the highway, which nobody likes to see. But the other 99% of plastic will continue to be dumped in landfills. Then there will be the issues of all the trees that will have to be cut down to make all these replacement paper bags. Which considering what is happening with our climate could be catastrophic.
I have two and a half Sections of land with trees .My property quota of pine[paper ]has gone up 2%.

Old 11-20-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
I thought the state banned PLASTIC bags. Why are stores charging for paper bags then?
Initialy I was behind the effort of getting consumers in the habit of reusables, but I agree with CT Yank.
It's now morphed into a two-headed monster. A joint grab by both the state and the greedy corps like Banana Republic and their sh#tty clothing manufactured overseas by slave labour in Indonesia or God knows where.
Why are they charging for PAPER!
I assume paper bags cost more than the cheap plastic ones stores have been using in more recent years? It's always been difficult to find paper bags in Shop Rite and Stop & Shop, self checkouts never have them and not all the regular lanes seem to either.

So I'm guessing the stores figured that if plastic was banned, everyone would take more paper bags and it would affect their bottom line, so they started charging for them. That's a deterrent as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but an interesting article from NPR about how banning plastic bags from grocery stores actually adds to the amount of plastic people use. Basically, people who reused shopping bags for trash can liners or picking up dog poop are now buying bags to do the same thing, except these bags are a lot thicker than the flimsy grocery store bags.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2...g-bans-garbage

If it's already been posted/discussed, sorry.
I believe that. There was nothing fun about scooping a litter box and leaving a trail of dirty litter out to the trash due to a hole. So why not buy a better bag if you need to buy them?

Someone said upthread the thinner ones were biodegradable anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut