Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 02:28 PM

88 posts, read 171,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
I'm baffled, this type of advice is wrong on so many levels.
Living paycheck to paycheck for an "experience" and coming away with nothing but accumulated and debilitating debt is not something I would recommend to individuals who already expressed shock over rents in Sono let alone Manhattan.
Thanks for your response. I think you're misinterpreting my shock. It baffles me for what's offered in the area, compared to Chicago. I understand having higher rent in NYC given the lifestyle and that it's a massive city with a ton of opportunity. It has nothing to do with the rent price itself, but what's offered in the area for that cost. That was my point. We wouldn't be living paycheck to paycheck or accumulating debilitating debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
Hi! I'm the regular Jay mentioned.

So. I LOVE Chicago! We (my husband and I) are going to visit our friends that just moved from Lakeview into Wrigleyville, this weekend, actually. We both say if we ever moved (I moved out to LA for work...and neither of us are sure it is forever, for us) Chicago and NYC (my heart of hearts) are our top two big cities.

Anyhow--I lived in Sono for a while...and I also lived in New Haven. I'm going to say the opposite of a lot of people, especially as you seem to have very similar interests as I do....don't do New Haven. I would say go with SoNo or NYC outright. SoNo is definitely urban light, but there is A LOT to do--and the community is really great. You can make friends just hanging out on Washington, checking out shops and bars. There is a great food selection, too. Hop the train up to Westport and you can go paddleboarding right down the river into the sound. There are lots of great running paths and hiking paths, as well (I was a 5am runner, all over Norwalk--you get to know your fellow runners.) The city is a very easy train ride....I often hopped in for dinner and drinks, with friends or by myself. Winters obviously won't be an issue for you--CT cleans up quickly, too, and the trains are pretty good about running into the city. There is something extra magical about NYC after a snowstorm.

I did something similar to what you are considering...I uprooted myself to CA, not knowing a single soul. My then BF (now husband--hey guys, I got married!) did what you are thinking of and followed me out a year later. We were a slow burn for a long time (6 years together in November...with some on and off) but neither of us regrets our move, no matter what happened (and we had LOTS of talks) since it was the experience itself. I mean..when else will you do something like that? Also...it's not like you can't move back, if you hate it (or even move somewhere completely different!)

I personally don't know if we would ever move back to CT, but IF we did, it would be the SoNo area (or straight to NYC.) I like to say Chicago is kind of NYC light....so maybe think of SoNo as Chicago ultra light?

ETA--ditto the facility in Southport with rock climbing, hubby and I used to use it. You can take the train up from SoNo and walk over. If you are a regular Uber user and just want to stick to the shoreline towns and NYC you do NOT need a car.
Thanks for your input! Lots to think about. SoNo definitely had some great restaurants. Those couple of streets did have plenty of options. It would be a big lifestyle change, which is tough in itself. Living in the city, is just a very different lifestyle than living in non-urban areas. It would take some getting used to, for sure.

Old 09-23-2019, 02:34 PM

21,795 posts, read 28,174,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowitskristin View Post
Thanks for your response. I think you're misinterpreting my shock. It baffles me for what's offered in the area, compared to Chicago. I understand having higher rent in NYC given the lifestyle and that it's a massive city with a ton of opportunity. It has nothing to do with the rent price itself, but what's offered in the area for that cost. That was my point. We wouldn't be living paycheck to paycheck or accumulating debilitating debt.
I think you’ll like it a lot more once you start spending time in the area. There’s plenty to do and something to keep in mind is that this area is near an unbelievable amount of things to do within a day’s drive. That is one way that it absolutely beats Chicago.

Old 09-23-2019, 02:41 PM

6,969 posts, read 3,793,544 times
Quote:
No I interpreted correctly. A 2 bed/2 bath cost in Chicago only nets a 1 bed/1bath in Sono. Sono has a higher per sq ft price, I get it. Manhattan per sq ft is on a whole 'nother level.

Old 09-23-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
No I interpreted correctly. A 2 bed/2 bath cost in Chicago only nets a 1 bed/1bath in Sono. Sono has a higher per sq ft price, I get it. Manhattan per sq ft is on a whole 'nother level.
Got it. Thanks!

Old 09-23-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I think you’ll like it a lot more once you start spending time in the area. There’s plenty to do and something to keep in mind is that this area is near an unbelievable amount of things to do within a day’s drive. That is one way that it absolutely beats Chicago.
Yeah, my BF has a car and we both love to camp and had already checked out places that we would want to explore, mainly in NY. Some beautiful spots within a couple of hour drive or so!

Old 09-23-2019, 02:53 PM

21,795 posts, read 28,174,061 times
Quote:
Yeah, my BF has a car and we both love to camp and had already checked out places that we would want to explore, mainly in NY. Some beautiful spots within a couple of hour drive or so!
NY State is the tip of the iceberg. New England is an incredibly diverse area, both natural beauty and historic charm to explore. Not to mention DC, Philly, Montreal, Quebec City, etc.

Old 09-23-2019, 03:37 PM

1,930 posts, read 2,045,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanny13 View Post
I would say move to NYC Upper upper west side, like somewhere near Columbia University, where your boyfriend can still get to 125th and commute by train reverse commute to Southport, and you can enjoy real city life and be walking distance to Central Park and Riverside park. It will be expensive, and his commute will be tough, but you can't replicate that kind of city life anywhere else. Then, when you guys felt like you got the full experience and are ready to have kids in a few years, if you want to, make the move out to FFC.
I agree with this - the UWS that far up is a great place for someone with an active lifestyle who also loves city life. Move out to CT if/when you decide to settle down for the longer haul.

Old 09-23-2019, 03:57 PM

21,657 posts, read 31,280,569 times
Quote:
I'm baffled, this type of advice is wrong on so many levels.
Living paycheck to paycheck for an "experience" and coming away with nothing but accumulated and debilitating debt is not something I would recommend to individuals who already expressed shock over rents in Sono let alone Manhattan.
I’m not sure where you got the OP would be living “paycheck to paycheck” by renting a 1br in upper Manhattan.

The 1br prices in Harlem/125th street area are not that much different than Norwalk or Stamford, and would offer them, for their needs, a much better quality of life.

Old 09-23-2019, 04:00 PM

21,657 posts, read 31,280,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
NY State is the tip of the iceberg. New England is an incredibly diverse area, both natural beauty and historic charm to explore. Not to mention DC, Philly, Montreal, Quebec City, etc.
You’re now talking 6-10 hours, point A to B, driving. That’s a bit much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut