Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 11:27 AM

4,455 posts, read 3,349,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowitskristin View Post
Thanks for your response. I think you're misinterpreting my shock. It baffles me for what's offered in the area, compared to Chicago. I understand having higher rent in NYC given the lifestyle and that it's a massive city with a ton of opportunity. It has nothing to do with the rent price itself, but what's offered in the area for that cost. That was my point. We wouldn't be living paycheck to paycheck or accumulating debilitating debt.

If you could afford Manhattan and your boyfriend doesn't mind the commute I would do NYC.

As another woman I would not want to see you live above 100-105 street and up. It's not as safe an area in Manhattan south of 100th Street.

Here is what I did for you. As a woman myself I would not want to see a young woman move to an unsafe area.....especially an area they are new to. I am one of the few woman on here. The guys on here will all say "those places with the higher crime are fine". They could say that because they are men......when did you ever hear of a man getting raped or worse. The site where I could pin point the crime in a specific part of a city is not on the City Data website and I can not put the link. I will send you the name of the link in private message.

I will not apologize to anyone for keeping another woman safe....sorry City-Data guys.

Chicago to SoNo, CT - Possible relocation-harlem.jpg

So many posters on here will say "this section or that section of New Haven is fine". Great...when they give me a specific area of New Haven I will do the same thing as the pic above showing the crime in the different areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 11:39 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
As another woman I would not want to see you live above 100-105 street and up. It's not as safe an area in Manhattan south of 100th Street.
That's a broad generalization. Morningside Heights is very safe.

I had a friend in the 100's on the west side and they lived in a VERY nice and expensive building. She walked her dog alone at night constantly for 5+ years with no issue.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:44 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

I had a friend in the 100's on the west side and they lived in a VERY nice and expensive building. She walked her dog alone at night constantly for 5+ years with no issue.
This.

Old 09-24-2019, 12:03 PM

712 posts, read 542,637 times
I feel NYC is more suitable with OP given the fact that urban life is more familiar. uptown
near Harlem is reasonable choice but OP needs to be street smart and do more research on NYC area.

I worked in uptown for a year using Harlem 125 street station to commute back to New Haven area. The fear I had (male) initially largely reduced after this one year experience. Sure, Harlem near the 125 station is challenged, but just to be street smart, always use Uber/lyft after 7 pm or dark, and maybe even going to Grand Central Germinal when office had late party. Everything worked out fine.

West harlem is a lot safer. Somewhere below Mt Sinai 108 st. area is safe too. So Harlem and NYC in general is reasonable choice and reverse commute back to CT is doable.

Last edited by jxzz; 09-24-2019 at 12:26 PM..

Old 09-24-2019, 03:41 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanny13 View Post
When I said expensive, I meant that you will get a smaller/older space for a comparable rent in the city vs Stamford/Norwalk. I did not suggest living paycheck to paycheck, or "debilitating debt." And I suggested doing this for only a few years. Although we now love Connecticut for our family, I don't think we would trade our city years for anything. Some people couldn't care less about that kind of experience, whereas others (like the OP) seem to place high value on it.
I'm sticking to my guns, Alan. Unless they have tons of disposable income (which indeed they may), and given the age range, I don't advise unnecesarry tack on costs that are better invested elsewhere. A 401k, a Roth, a 529 for future childrens' college, a home purchase, or general wealth building and I'm not a financial advisor, just use common sense. Folks in that age range are generally reluctant to give up a car.

I understand you build fond memories and you only live once, I get it.

Old 09-24-2019, 03:41 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

As another woman, ditto this!

Old 09-24-2019, 04:01 PM

4,455 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
As another woman, ditto this!
You said this: "I had a friend in the 100's on the west side and they lived in a VERY nice and expensive building. She walked her dog alone at night constantly for 5+ years with no issue."

Was it near the Central Park and what is the exact location?

You said it was an "expensive building" so I sure that the area would be safer.

If you had a daughter wouldn't you want her to be in the safest area possible upon arriving to a new area/city (even if it is a smaller apartment) AND THEN after a while let her figure out if she wants to be in the "iffy" areas of that city.

I do agree that close to the Central Park above 100th street is better but once you go even higher and start fanning out....well.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:27 PM

712 posts, read 542,637 times
Quote:
You said this: "I had a friend in the 100's on the west side and they lived in a VERY nice and expensive building. She walked her dog alone at night constantly for 5+ years with no issue."

If you had a daughter wouldn't you want her to be in the safest area possible upon arriving to a new area/city (even if it is a smaller apartment) AND THEN after a while let her figure out if she wants to be in the "iffy" areas of that city.

I do agree that close to the Central Park above 100th street is better but once you go even higher and start fanning out....well.

Lots of people do not consider "Morningside Heights" as part of Harlem. The commute from that district to Harlem 125 stations sucks. I would rather consider Mid town Manhattan in stead of that and reverse directly from GCT to CT. Let's not forget that on Metro North train, GCT is only 10 minutes away from Harlem 125 station.

One thing I do agree, the reputation of Morningside heights is better than Harlem.

Sure, Mid town Manhattan aprtments cost more money. If money is an issue, OP should not consider NYC as an option, should just rent a place in Fairfield county instead to be closer to the job. The saved money can be spent on weekend trips to NYC for whatever events and entertainment.

Last edited by jxzz; 09-24-2019 at 05:39 PM..

Old 09-25-2019, 09:27 AM

88 posts, read 171,374 times
Thanks, everyone!

Old 09-25-2019, 10:20 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,803 times
Quote:

I actually wasn't the person who posted that. Please check when you post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut