Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 12:15 PM

9 posts, read 14,602 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I know similar iterations of this question have probably been asked before, but I was hoping to receive some feedback and advice directed to my specific circumstances. I will be starting fellowship at Yale in July (moving from out of state, not too familiar with the area), while my S/O starts second year of residency at UCONN. She has a house in W Hartford, and although I will be spending time there, I will also have to rent a place in New Haven to be close to the hospital for call days/nights. I was wondering which areas I should be looking in that are close to the hospital but also an easy(ier) commute to West Hartford? In a perfect world, I'd like to keep the budget to $1500 but will pay more if it's worth it (convenience, good restaurants in walking distance, etc.) up to $2,000.

Any additional advice or opinions are welcome.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 12:58 PM

21,634 posts, read 31,237,489 times
If you have to get an apartment in New Haven for access to on call days and nights, I’d suggest you just look in New Haven itself. Specifically look in the East Rock section, which allows easy access to both Yale and 91, so you can hop right on the highway to head to West Hartford if you need to. While downtown and Westville are nice sections, you won’t have the easy access to both [hospital and highway].

Old 12-21-2020, 03:42 PM

167 posts, read 176,118 times
If you're looking for a smaller 1 BR apartment your budget will be fine for almost anything downtown. Even 360 State Street or College & Crown have 1 BR/1 BA units starting around $1,800. I'm sure you can find plenty of less swanky places for $1,500. New Haven is a small and charming city that has its share of bad sections. Make sure you find an apartment that's not right on the edge of a less-than-desirable neighborhood. In general, downtown, East Rock, and Wooster Square are considered the best neighborhoods, as well as Westville, which is on the opposite side of the city and can be an annoying drive during rush hour.

East Rock is nice but more of a walk to get downtown as far as social activities. A huge portion of Yale grad students live in East Rock as it's quieter and has more of a residential neighborhood feel than downtown. There is a nice stretch of restaurants on upper State Street but it's nothing like the choices you'll have downtown. I-91 access is easy from downtown or East Rock, though the 34 connector that runs through downtown can get quite congested at times.

As someone who rented in the city for nearly a decade but always with street parking, I would strongly advise that you find a unit with off-street parking. New Haven is terrible with snow removal (making street parking a nightmare during the winter) and the meter maids are ruthless (and the city impounds first, asks questions later). I once had my car impounded over a purported $12 in outstanding car taxes. That was not a pleasant experience.

Separately, it's UConn, not UCONN. It's not an acronym.

Old 12-21-2020, 03:43 PM

1,330 posts, read 2,632,595 times
The New Haven rental market has usually been fiercely competitive, but you might find something good during the pandemic.

If you want to pay less (potentially) and be a few miles closer to West Hartford, look in Hamden. You might also find something in North Haven, which is a more suburban town.

Old 12-21-2020, 03:49 PM

167 posts, read 176,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
The New Haven rental market has usually been fiercely competitive, but you might find something good during the pandemic.
From College and Crown...

Quote:
2 months free when you sign your lease within 72 hours of your tour! 1.5 months free if signed after 72 hours.

*13-month lease or longer. PLUS next 4 applicants will get their $250 admin fee waived for move-in!
I'd say they're desperate!

Old 12-21-2020, 04:32 PM

21,779 posts, read 28,124,156 times
East Rock area, easy access to 91 and YNHH.

Audubon and Corsair are 2 new larger apartment complexes in that area.

Old 12-21-2020, 05:04 PM

6,931 posts, read 3,766,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnvol12 View Post
Hi all,

I know similar iterations of this question have probably been asked before, but I was hoping to receive some feedback and advice directed to my specific circumstances. I will be starting fellowship at Yale in July (moving from out of state, not too familiar with the area), while my S/O starts second year of residency at UCONN. She has a house in W Hartford, and although I will be spending time there, I will also have to rent a place in New Haven to be close to the hospital for call days/nights. I was wondering which areas I should be looking in that are close to the hospital but also an easy(ier) commute to West Hartford? In a perfect world, I'd like to keep the budget to $1500 but will pay more if it's worth it (convenience, good restaurants in walking distance, etc.) up to $2,000.

Any additional advice or opinions are welcome.

Thanks!
Are you hungry? get ready to eat because DT New Haven and West Hartford are all about the food. It's THAT great! You're waistlines not going to like it but you're taste buds will.

You seriously cannot go wrong DT, it's active 24/7. I91 is right around the corner for an easy ride up to WH.

Best

Old 12-21-2020, 06:37 PM

34,956 posts, read 57,005,315 times
I always recommend living as close to your job as possible. Why drive a longer distance five days a week so you have a lesser drive once or twice. The suggestions in New Haven are all great. East Rock is a beautiful popular neighborhood that is convenient to I-91 and Hartford. Wooster Square is another. You could start there or downtown.

If New Haven is too far from West Hartford, then consider any of the towns along the I-91 corridor would work. It’s just how far you want to be from New Haven verses West Hartford. Wallingford is a nice town about 15 minutes from New Haven and 30 minutes from West Hartford. There are a lot of nice apartments in your price range there plus it has great shopping, dining and entertainment options.

If you want to be even closer to West Hartford, Middletown’s Westfield neighborhood has a lot of apartments very near I-91. Its about 30 minutes to New Haven and 15 to 20 minutes to West Hartford. It would be a good option if you ever decide to move in together. Middletown has a wonderful downtown with great shops and dining. Goo$ luck, Jay

Last edited by JayCT; 12-21-2020 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: Added text

Old 12-21-2020, 07:24 PM

847 posts, read 510,861 times
One more vote for East Rock for all the reasons listed. I love that neighborhood. My favorite coffee shop is there. I was talking with the owner this weekend about rents in the neighborhood, and from what he told me, you can get a great unit in that neighborhood in your price range.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:37 AM

989 posts, read 602,765 times
If the OP isn't too familiar with the area we shouldn't forget to mention the most notable thing about the East Rock neighborhood: East Rock!

Seriously, it's a massive geologic formation located in a beautiful park. There are points almost 400 feet above sea level that give stunning views of the city.

https://ak.picdn.net/shutterstock/vi...48/thumb/1.jpg

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.town...ize=1200%2C807
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut