Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2020, 10:41 PM

830 posts, read 684,916 times

Advertisements

My employer (UConn) mandated that I do a two-week self-quarantine from work after coming back from Japan and Friday marks the end of that. Now, UConn's moving to online classes starting March 23rd (after Spring break for students) and asking employees who can telecommute to do so starting March 14th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2020, 05:55 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
Yes because it is EXPONENTIAL. I really don't know how else to say this. Even assuming the number of cases jumps only 10% each day (so far we're way outpacing this but let's say we have more preventative measures) that only takes 92 days to achieve. 3 months from now.
I don’t think arguing back and forth is effective here. However you feel, whether you think “a million Americans will die” or that this is an overblown flu, CDC recommendations don’t change. Wash your hands. Avoid cruises and large gatherings. If you’re sick, isolate yourself. These are all things that should be done anyway during peak flu season. But don’t freak out. Don’t panic. Cut out the hysterical claims that 1 in 300 Americans will die. That does zero good here.

One thing I want to stress is gyms. As someone who works out at a public gym on a daily basis, people’s hygiene there is abysmal. After touching every weight, I’ve been using hand sanitizer. I wash my hands thoroughly after each workout and take a Lysol wipe to my phone. The primary gym I go to has been decent about sanitizing equipment but the secondary one I use hasn’t done a thing - nobody cleaning equipment, soap dispensers and sanitizing dispensers empty. I made my concerns known yesterday.

Old 03-12-2020, 06:06 AM

6,918 posts, read 3,750,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
And someone in Wilton is sick too.
Yes, he was on life support. Has newborn twins.
Contracted from a recent business trip out west.
I'd like someone here to tell his wife its just an overeaction. I'd like to see her reaction to said individual with a rolling pin upside the head. That would be an undereaction.

Old 03-12-2020, 06:12 AM

6,918 posts, read 3,750,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I think KidYankee & Bob said this earlier in the thread and what I've been saying on Twitter since the weekend:

The Media created this monstrosity, and they are growing the monster. Election year, an absolute boring winter with nothing AT ALL to hype storm wise, so they see this (along with the measles/mumps case[s] from late last year) and they are going to run with the story to make a news story seem 500 times worse than it really is. If people stopped watching the news and paying attention to the news there would be none of this.
Just like every winter when WC pumps up these winter storms days and days ahead people freak out and clear out shelves and when reckoning day arrives you walk outside and find out it's 60 degrees. It's dumb!! Stop paying attention to to these people! The population of Connecticut is about 3.6 million. There have been 3 (4?? 2??) reported cases. Out of 3.6 million!! More people will die of the regular flu this week then people will die total of this corona virus. Where was the outrage & mass hysteria over the flu outbreak in January??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
yeah, tell me about it.
Here's two more

The media is doing it's job. If you don't like it, don't watch CNN. Some here are concerned over the bias coverage, I get it. The US market indexes have 7 months to recover before November. Tick tock, tick tock.

Everyone knows the stats are low now, we get it. Its the exponential potential that the media and everyone should be guarding against, and rightly so.

Old 03-12-2020, 06:36 AM

Schools affected: Cheshire, Darien, Greenwich, New Canaan, Oxford, Wilton, Westport - some closing. Some purposely having early dismissals and delays to prepare for the possibility of closing after residents have been exposed. More private, including Nathan Hale, have closed.

Regionally, many in Westchester have closed also (including the district my cousin teaches, Scarsdale).

Old 03-12-2020, 07:37 AM

987 posts, read 600,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I don’t think arguing back and forth is effective here. However you feel, whether you think “a million Americans will die” or that this is an overblown flu, CDC recommendations don’t change. Wash your hands. Avoid cruises and large gatherings. If you’re sick, isolate yourself. These are all things that should be done anyway during peak flu season. But don’t freak out. Don’t panic. Cut out the hysterical claims that 1 in 300 Americans will die. That does zero good here.

One thing I want to stress is gyms. As someone who works out at a public gym on a daily basis, people’s hygiene there is abysmal. After touching every weight, I’ve been using hand sanitizer. I wash my hands thoroughly after each workout and take a Lysol wipe to my phone. The primary gym I go to has been decent about sanitizing equipment but the secondary one I use hasn’t done a thing - nobody cleaning equipment, soap dispensers and sanitizing dispensers empty. I made my concerns known yesterday.
I only say that to show the potential severity IF we don't do anything. It's entirely possible (and actually a smaller percentage of the population than 500,000[American deaths] was during the Spanish Flu).

Again I only say this because we need to take severe measures to stop this. Luckily in the last couple days we've started to do that.

Old 03-12-2020, 07:40 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
I only say that to show the potential severity IF we don't do anything. It's entirely possible (and actually a smaller percentage of the population than 500,000[American deaths] was during the Spanish Flu).

Again I only say this because we need to take severe measures to stop this. Luckily in the last couple days we've started to do that.
Panic is much preferred to inaction. Once hospitals are overloaded we will all wish there was more concern.

That said, irrational behavior like hoarding TP and dust masks is not helpful.

Old 03-12-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:

We’re way ahead of the game than Europe was at this time. We’re being obsessively proactive. Not a bad thing to take measures for protection, but a bad thing to panic.

Old 03-12-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Panic is much preferred to inaction. Once hospitals are overloaded we will all wish there was more concern.

That said, irrational behavior like hoarding TP and dust masks is not helpful.
Yeah I am not doing either. Nothing I said was irrational nor do I endorse anything irrational. Everyone should PLEASE follow the advice of health care professionals during this time.

Old 03-12-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
We’re way ahead of the game than Europe was at this time. We’re being obsessively proactive. Not a bad thing to take measures for protection, but a bad thing to panic.
Are we? We are severely lagging in testing. Judging by test rate per capita we are dead last in the developed nations. Doesn't sound like "way ahead of the game" to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut