Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 08:49 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Correct. Macys has been bleeding cash a long time, and covid made it worse. Same thing expediting the demise of retail..cash flow.
Oh stop with all the doom and gloom already. Macy’s is NOT going out of business yet. The Connecticut Post Mall is not closing. Neither is Trumbull. The world is not ending. For 13 years I’ve heard this stuff and virtually NONE of it has come true.

The fact is Macy’s, like EVERY brick and mortar retailer, is having financial problems due to the pandemic but that does NOT mean it is going out of business. Macy’s is our country’s largest chain of department store with over 600 stores. It’s name is synonymous with retailing. It’s iconic. Macy’s is located in just about every major shopping mall in the country including many that are still doing well. It serves no one if this company goes out of business and everyone including its creditors if it survives.

As anyone who knows anything about the US Bankruptcy laws knows, bankruptcy does not mean the end. Bankruptcy allows companies to breath during bad times while they sort out their finances. It has been used by MANY companies who have survived and gone on to bigger and better things in the future. There is nothing to show Macy’s is any different. The link below explains this. Jay

https://fortune.com/2020/05/10/bankr...tore-closings/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2020, 08:56 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Lord and Taylor and now Macys?
No, Macy’s has not filed for bankruptcy or said it is going out of business. This is purely speculation on the part of a few naysayers here who always cry “The sky is falling, the sky is falling” when it is not. Relax, the Trumbull mall is not closing either. There’s nothing to say it cannot survive, if not thrive, as retail continues to evolve like it has since the dawn of time. Jay

Old 10-08-2020, 09:59 AM

161 posts, read 128,965 times
I was in the Norwalk mall a few weeks ago. Walked all around. There were maybe ten shoppers at most, including my wife and I. We walked throughout Bloomingdales, and they had about 20 employees that we could see. My wife and I were the only customers in the entire store. We didn't buy anything. Very sad. Stamford mall, which lost Cheesecake Factory, H&M, and Apple, is beyond toast at this point. It boggles my mind that Barnes and Noble is still there.

Old 10-08-2020, 10:01 AM

2,637 posts, read 7,427,019 times
I believe they are looking to add 2 outbuildings, including a restaurant in front of the Danbury Mall over by the Macy's store in overflow parking area.

Old 10-08-2020, 12:08 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,037,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
I believe they are looking to add 2 outbuildings, including a restaurant in front of the Danbury Mall over by the Macy's store in overflow parking area.
I have heard the same thing. Shake Shack was one of the proposed tenants. The other was one of the chain steak places - I think Longhorn?

Old 10-08-2020, 01:28 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I live in Trumbull and I go to a lot of zoning meetings. I can speak to the Trumbull Mall area but not other malls. The apartments near the Trumbull mall are just the first step in an overhaul of the entire mall area.

Not only were the apartments given the OK the entire mall area is rezoned for mixed-use. The new mall owners showed pictures of what they want the mall area to become. It looks more like a mini-city with stores on the bottom and apartments on the top. They were showing other places around the country and they looked nice to me. The closest thing in Fairfield County would be like SONO in Norwalk. From what I am seeing and hearing from the new owners essentially in years to come no more mall. The new mall owners are builders. They bought the mall to remake it into something else.

There is a master plan for Trumbull and the whole area south of the Merritt Parkway in and around Main Street will be all commercial and mixed-use. All of this rezoning on Main Street and the mall area dovetails onto on another. Houses are already being town down on Main Street and commercial buildings going up.

Lord and Taylors in our Trumbull mall is of course going out of business. I have a hunch some sort of higher end grocery store will go in it's spot. I am praying for a Whole Foods.
No Wegman's?

I still can't believe people bother with malls.......as has been repeated in this thread everything is mixed use.

(I do not live in the area, state)

Old 10-08-2020, 01:35 PM

848 posts, read 1,119,392 times
Here's what Connecticut malls need to become:

https://visitnorthhills.com/

https://carolinayards.com/

Two former malls in the Raleigh-Durham area. One, North Hills, is a booming mixture of residential units, senior housing, corporate offices, hotels, shops, restaurants, public event spaces, grocery stores, etc.. Connecticut malls are located in places that are just as conducive for this intensity of development if your town zoning rules would allow for more mixtures of uses and better design standards.

Old 10-08-2020, 01:44 PM

848 posts, read 1,119,392 times
Here's a video...

https://visitnorthhills.com/director...trict-project/

Why do I care? I'm Connecticut born and raised. Connecticut Proud!

Old 10-08-2020, 06:57 PM

34,003 posts, read 17,035,093 times
I stand by my post, and the Milford mall owners also question their future solely in the shape they are in.

Many analysts are expecting Macy's demise.

This PZB move was a tragic error.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/macys...165317077.html

Old 10-08-2020, 07:02 PM

34,003 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsek View Post
I was in the Norwalk mall a few weeks ago. Walked all around. There were maybe ten shoppers at most, including my wife and I. We walked throughout Bloomingdales, and they had about 20 employees that we could see. My wife and I were the only customers in the entire store. We didn't buy anything. Very sad. Stamford mall, which lost Cheesecake Factory, H&M, and Apple, is beyond toast at this point. It boggles my mind that Barnes and Noble is still there.
I have seen the same dismal crowds in Milford, even before covid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut