Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 08:52 AM

4,461 posts, read 3,356,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Like I said, I live here now (you don't) and I have to look past the shiny glass buildings. Downtown Stamford is fine to drive to the garage and drive out. But hanging out on the street, walking the dog, walking the kids, etc -- I see very few people doing that. The entire area from the train station to the Public Library. It's not seedy, it's very seedy.

To compare downtown Stamford with UES is so silly. Including personal safety. It's not even worth addressing it. But you can try it. Walk around 30 minutes (if you can last that long) by yourself at 9 pm downtown stamford, and then UES. Anywhere below 96th St. Then report back.

Like I said I was born and raised in Stamford and have walked downtown thousands of times. All of my doctors and surgeons are at Mount Sinai Hospital (100 to 102 streets) and I have walked the upper east side of Manhattan hundreds of times. When my husband and I go in we park at the Metropolitan Museum of Art and walk up to Mount Sinai. We walk all over the Upper East Side because Mount Sinai has locations all over the UES. The UES isn't only 5th, Park and Madison you know.

Here are two crime maps of Downtown Stamford and the Upper East Side of Manhattan. Look at all the dark in the upper east side. The maps are from Trulia. Stamford is the top map.
Moving to Stamford, Apartment search advice?-stamford.jpg

Last edited by CTartist; 04-15-2021 at 09:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2021, 09:17 AM

21,772 posts, read 28,115,027 times
Maybe we can just agree we all have different definitions of seedy?

OP is free to check these places out and draw their own conclusion.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:34 AM

328 posts, read 426,196 times
There are many options in Stamford. The OP needs to check them out. Can be done in a day.

I lived in Downtown Stamford for years and was never accosted, much less approached by any bums, prostitutes, or undesirables ( and to get to my workplace I passed by Columbus Park the closest spot for sketchy downtown.)

There's live music, excellent restaurants, theater, movies (including the best art house in the state), shopping and great looking young women and men. An exciting town to be starting a career and a life.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:45 AM

34,951 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Like I said, I live here now (you don't) and I have to look past the shiny glass buildings. Downtown Stamford is fine to drive to the garage and drive out. But hanging out on the street, walking the dog, walking the kids, etc -- I see very few people doing that. The entire area from the train station to the Public Library. It's not seedy, it's very seedy.

To compare downtown Stamford with UES is so silly. Including personal safety. It's not even worth addressing it. But you can try it. Walk around 30 minutes (if you can last that long) by yourself at 9 pm downtown stamford, and then UES. Anywhere below 96th St. Then report back.

Before I moved to HP, I checked out buildings on Tresser. For example I noticed that 75 Tresser was getting some bum foot traffic. I don't know why. Maybe because the back of 75 Tresser is next to the bridge and dirty small park? I didn't continue my forensics because I wasn't interested.
You do not know my knowledge of Stamford or how much I am there. The area you described has many of the city’s most prominent offices and businesses in it. I’m sure the WWE would not choose to move their headquarters there if it was as seedy as you describe.

Also in that area are the Rich Forum and the Stamford Center for the Arts which draw thousands of people. The Residence Inn and Bobby V’s Sports Bar are there as are a number of great little shops and restaurants. That’s not seedy in my book. We either have VERY different definitions of seedy or you are seeing the affects of reduced foot traffic because of the Covid-19 crisis. Im guessing it’s a bit of both. Jay

Old 04-15-2021, 11:40 AM

143 posts, read 120,882 times
I lived on Forest St in downtown Stamford and LOOOOOOVED the location. Beautiful window views of the old UU church, a quarter block walk to all the great Bedford st/downtown restaurants and bars, all the summer street events like the art walk and alive at five. I lived above the CVS so not a large property but I was very happy in that apartment. Clean and safe. That whole area is clean, well kept and safe.

Old 04-15-2021, 12:04 PM

21,772 posts, read 28,115,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lginlg View Post
There's live music, excellent restaurants, theater, movies (including the best art house in the state), shopping and great looking young women and men. An exciting town to be starting a career and a life.
Where's the live music and theater? Always found Stamford lacking in that regard. Of course NYC was always a 45 minute train away.

Old 04-15-2021, 12:09 PM

6,923 posts, read 3,760,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Where's the live music and theater? Always found Stamford lacking in that regard. Of course NYC was always a 45 minute train away.
The Palace and Rich Forum

Old 04-16-2021, 08:17 AM

4,461 posts, read 3,356,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetgirl2014 View Post
I lived on Forest St in downtown Stamford and LOOOOOOVED the location. Beautiful window views of the old UU church, a quarter block walk to all the great Bedford st/downtown restaurants and bars, all the summer street events like the art walk and alive at five. I lived above the CVS so not a large property but I was very happy in that apartment. Clean and safe. That whole area is clean, well kept and safe.

I am afraid of everything....even my own shadow lol. When ever I have to go someplace I check those Trulia crime maps and I study them.

OP.....DOWNTOWN STAMFORD IS SAFE. I would love to retire to downtown Stamford but I can't afford it. And my husband doesn't want to move back to Stamford. I would not want to move back to Stamford if the downtown was not safe.

"UU church"
Do you mean the "fish church"? I think that is now a national landmark.

OP Stamford is amazingly safe for a city and I will try to prove it with these stats from CityData.

CT City Crime (the lower the better) The US average is 270.
New Haven..................431
Bridgeport...................290
Hartford......................379
Stamford.....................131 (it's awesome for a city!)

Some Fairfield County Towns
Trumbull.....................136 (my town...we have a mall where a lot of theft at the stores occur)
Fairfield.......................86
Greenwich....................48 (super wealthy)
Westport......................35 (super wealthy)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut