Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 09:41 PM

3 posts, read 1,587 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I’m moving to Stamford, CT this fall for work. I’m looking for a 1/1 or a studio apartment. My work would be in downtown Stamford and I’d be willing to commute a bit if the area was nice to live in. Does anybody have any advice for good neighborhoods to live in or those to avoid as well as price expectations?

My budget is max $2,000 but if I could get a good place for less, like $1,500 ish I’d much prefer that haha. Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 08:05 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
There’s a lot of apartments downtown within your budget. Any of them should work. Living there would allow you to walk to work which would be nice. Plus you would be close to all the entertainment and dining options that downtown offers. Can’t ask for more than that.

You might also want to check out Harborpointe for apartments too. It’s a bit further from downtown downtown but it’s closer to Long Island Sound and is a bit quieter than downtown. Your choice which would suit you better. Good luck, Jay

Old 04-14-2021, 08:12 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
There’s a lot of apartments downtown within your budget. Any of them should work. Living there would allow you to walk to work which would be nice. Plus you would be close to all the entertainment and dining options that downtown offers. Can’t ask for more than that.

You might also want to check out Harborpointe for apartments too. It’s a bit further from downtown downtown but it’s closer to Long Island Sound and is a bit quieter than downtown. Your choice which would suit you better. Good luck, Jay
I agree with all of this. The nice part about living downtown is that you would be much less car dependent. You could walk to work and the train station is right there.

Old 04-14-2021, 10:41 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay145 View Post
Hello everyone, I’m moving to Stamford, CT this fall for work. I’m looking for a 1/1 or a studio apartment. My work would be in downtown Stamford and I’d be willing to commute a bit if the area was nice to live in. Does anybody have any advice for good neighborhoods to live in or those to avoid as well as price expectations?

My budget is max $2,000 but if I could get a good place for less, like $1,500 ish I’d much prefer that haha. Thanks for the help!
I was born and raised in Stamford but now I live about 30 minutes away in Trumbull. My husband and I commuted for years to Stamford.

The traffic is horrible to go to Stamford in the rush hour. You can afford Stamford and it's safe. The downtown would be great but you might also like Glenbrook/Springdale which is becoming a nice little community within Stamford too. Glenbrook/Springdale would be a little cheaper and you could get closer to your $1500 wish.

Old 04-14-2021, 01:17 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
I know plenty of people live in downtown, but I just walked from the train to Landmark Square for a meeting. Plenty of bums, garbage, etc. Not a pleasant walk. And this was during the day. In the last 6 months since I moved to Stamford from NYC, I picked up food a few times also downtown. Besides Bedford St, every other street feels like a dump.

If you drive into your garage and drive out, then there are some nice newer buildings downtown with amenities.

2k might be tight for Harborpoint, but you might get with some buildings away from water.

Old 04-14-2021, 07:18 PM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
I know plenty of people live in downtown, but I just walked from the train to Landmark Square for a meeting. Plenty of bums, garbage, etc. Not a pleasant walk. And this was during the day. In the last 6 months since I moved to Stamford from NYC, I picked up food a few times also downtown. Besides Bedford St, every other street feels like a dump.

If you drive into your garage and drive out, then there are some nice newer buildings downtown with amenities.

2k might be tight for Harborpoint, but you might get with some buildings away from water.
There are some characters near Route 1 and the train station I'll give you that. If you walked up Washington Blvd. you walked past the YMCA and hence the characters. You might have seen the prostitutes in Columbus Park too lol. Well that is where they used to be when I lived in Stamford.

Once you get north of Route 1 it's good......it's not Manhattan but Stamford and Danbury are the safest cities in CT.

"Besides Bedford St, every other street feels like a dump."

Where did you live in NYC?

That is why I also recommended Glenbrook/Springdale.

Old 04-14-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Where did you live in NYC?
As customary with you, fellow commenters have to provide you with social security number, credit card, address, birthday, etc. And you still always create the wrong stereotype.

But I will oblige — born and raised in East New York(Brooklyn) / Ridgewood Queens. Did stints in other areas in Queens. Raised my own family in West Harlem and UES.

Due to my line of work (re, constr finance) I am familiar with a million other bad areas.

If one wants to go for a walk, Downtown Stamford is not the place. But If I can drive, park in a garage, and drive out again, then ok.

Next time you are in my town’s downtown, go look for yourself. I would characterize it as “seedy”

Last edited by Henry10; 04-14-2021 at 08:01 PM..

Old 04-14-2021, 08:04 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
You could definitely afford Stamford. There’s nice new apartments in the harbor area, but it’s a little antiseptic. That would be my complaint with most of urban Stamford. A bit “blah”. Never been a fan, but it does offer great work opportunities. And it’s safe.

Norwalk would be one alternative if you don’t mind hopping on a short train ride. South Norwalk offers more character. Great food, bars, and overall feel to the area.

I’d stick close to the job and then explore the area and get a feel for it. You can always move further up the train line someday if you want more bang for buck or to buy property. The areas around Fairfield Metro (Black Rock) and Milford train station are especially nice, but now you’re looking at a substantial commute.

Old 04-14-2021, 08:04 PM

6,876 posts, read 3,726,277 times
For a minute I thought JayCT was looking for an apt in Stamford.
Dowmtown is fine to live and walk to work and restaurants around Bedford. 2K for 1 bedroom sounds good. Upper Shippan would be great. Further north as you get into the forest neighborhoods up the Rigde roads. Springdale-Glenbrook-Hope St, not bad, not great. Avoid the lower west side.

Best

Old 04-14-2021, 08:05 PM

It's important to make the distinction between downtown, and not downtown / or the suburbs. Both Stamford and Danbury have good to excellent suburbs, but when it comes to their downtowns, they both are seedy. I haven't been in downtown Danbury for over a year, and the reason is that the few last times I was there, it left a bad taste in my mouth, so no reason to go back.

But OP can take a drive out for himself / herself and draw their own conclusions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut