Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 06:35 AM

11,316 posts, read 18,927,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Room to grow in Stamford? Everytime I'm in Stamford it feels like the world is closing in on it's so clausterphobic. People and structures are falling all over each other.
Stamford isn't bordered by towns, it's bordered by cities, congested ones like Darien. Overflowing. Why do you want population to explode? you can't move around as it is now. Forget what Yogi said, CT is crowded and everybody still wants to go there. Do yourself a favor up in Branford for retirement - stay there, don't go anywhere. Forget Sunday pasta down at cousin Vinny's in Stamford unless you want sit through snarls and standstills through 11 crowded cities on the SW coastline.
With it's sprawl and traffic I sometimes think of coastal CT from Greenwich to New Haven (or Long Island for that matter) as being a smaller version of L.A. or a similar north-south sprawl from Miami to West Palm Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2021, 06:51 AM

6,969 posts, read 3,796,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Tweed expansion talk has been around many decades now. It will not occur. You do not get anywhere trying to expand an airport that is too close to existing neighborhoods. In any state.
and the decades of talks are nearing completion with action now in place. They've just begun.
San Diego International is right in the middle of the city. Myrtle Beach international is surrounded on 3 sides by neighborhoods and a golf course including the new popular upscale live,work, play district Market Common built over the old airforce base. Literally a stones throw right next door. It's been done and successfully so. New Haven is primed and ready to take it to the next level. The possibilities are endless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
With it's sprawl and traffic I sometimes think of coastal CT from Greenwich to New Haven (or Long Island for that matter) as being a smaller version of L.A. or a similar north-south sprawl from Miami to West Palm Beach.
More linear like Miami, but yes, in a nutshell

Old 08-22-2021, 07:11 AM

4,473 posts, read 3,371,311 times
Quote:
Room to grow in Stamford? Everytime I'm in Stamford it feels like the world is closing in on it's so clausterphobic. People and structures are falling all over each other.
Stamford isn't bordered by towns, it's bordered by cities, congested ones like Darien. Overflowing. Why do you want population to explode? you can't move around as it is now. Forget what Yogi said, CT is crowded and everybody still wants to go there. Do yourself a favor up in Branford for retirement - stay there, don't go anywhere. Forget Sunday pasta down at cousin Vinny's in Stamford unless you want sit through snarls and standstills through 11 crowded cities on the SW coastline.

Don't worry.................the "city that works" has been growing since my great grandparents moved been there. And if Stamford growing means that CT gets a bigger city like Boston an economic power house all the more better. I think CT needs at least "one Boston" in CT. Or even 1/2 Boston would be good/nice. I would rather see it be New Haven but I don't think that will happen.

Population Density Per Square Mile............Land in Square Miles......Population......Growth in 10 Years
Boston.............12,792......................... ......48.28........................675,647........ .12.1%
Cambridge........16,469........................... .... 6.39........................118,443..........13.1%
I am sure there is another city bordering Boston I just don't now it. I know where Harvard is so I put down Cambridge.

Stamford..........3,258........................... .....37.64.........................135,470........ ..5.7%
Greenwich........1284............................. .....47.62.........................65,518......... ..2.7%
Darien..............1638.......................... .......12.66.........................21,499....... .....4.9%
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...etts/PST045219

Young adults and minorities that are growing this country want to live in cities (or it seems like that). Stamford, New Haven and Hartford need to pick up the pace.

I know I am always complaining about the traffic in FFC (which can be alleviated) but it is important for our major cites to keep up and they are not.

Old 08-22-2021, 07:16 AM

14,066 posts, read 13,983,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Don't worry.................the "city that works" has been growing since my great grandparents moved been there. And if Stamford growing means that CT gets a bigger city like Boston an economic power house all the more better. I think CT needs at least "one Boston" in CT. Or even 1/2 Boston would be good/nice. I would rather see it be New Haven but I don't think that will happen.

Population Density Per Square Mile............Land in Square Miles......Population......Growth in 10 Years
Boston.............12,792......................... ......48.28........................675,647........ .12.1%
Cambridge........16,469........................... .... 6.39........................118,443..........13.1%
I am sure there is another city bordering Boston I just don't now it. I know where Harvard is so I put down Cambridge.

Stamford..........3,258........................... .....37.64.........................135,470........ ..5.7%
Greenwich........1284............................. .....47.62.........................65,518......... ..2.7%
Darien..............1638.......................... .......12.66.........................21,499....... .....4.9%

Young adults and minorities that are growing this country want to live in cities (or it seems like that). Stamford, New Haven and Hartford need to pick up the pace.

I know I am always complaining about the traffic in FFC (which can be alleviated) but it is important for our major cites to keep up and they are not.

Stamford and New Haven have best urban downtown areas in the state.

Old 08-22-2021, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

They're out of room in Stamford. There's nowhere to go. Long Island Sound on one end and another State on the other end. That's it. It's bursting at the seams. So are Greenwich and Darien. You open a door in Stamford, any door, and hundreds of people just spill out all over the place tumbling over each other. Jack in the Box with a thousand Jacks popping out. Its unbelievable!

Old 08-22-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
The mid-majors are all better than Stamford, without question.

Old 08-22-2021, 08:15 AM

14,066 posts, read 13,983,704 times
Quote:
They're out of room in Stamford. There's nowhere to go. Long Island Sound on one end and another State on the other end. That's it. It's bursting at the seams. So are Greenwich and Darien. You open a door in Stamford, any door, and hundreds of people just spill out all over the place tumbling over each other. Jack in the Box with a thousand Jacks popping out. Its unbelievable!
Miami land area is 36 sq mi
Stamford land area is 37 sq my

Stamford most southern point to most north point of the city is 12.5 miles while Miami it is 13.5 so close enough. Stamford is bigger than Manhattan by land area but Manhattan feel bigger because it dense area. Manhattan land area is 22 compare to 37 in Stamford.

Technically Stamford bigger than Miami by land area and even Greenwich is almost same size of Boston by land area. Miami feel bigger because it dense city and all the high rises so Stamford can have bigger population by building more high rise buildings and denser areas.

Last edited by BPt111; 08-22-2021 at 08:29 AM..

Old 08-22-2021, 08:42 AM

21,799 posts, read 28,179,019 times
Quote:
Stamford downtown is meh.

Old 08-22-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Stamford downtown is meh.
Maybe that's good. Keep all the people in their office buildings making more money, more money, more money.

Old 08-22-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Miami land area is 36 sq mi
Stamford land area is 37 sq my

Stamford most southern point to most north point of the city is 12.5 miles while Miami it is 13.5 so close enough. Stamford is bigger than Manhattan by land area but Manhattan feel bigger because it dense area. Manhattan land area is 22 compare to 37 in Stamford.

Technically Stamford bigger than Miami by land area and even Greenwich is almost same size of Boston by land area. Miami feel bigger because it dense city and all the high rises so Stamford can have bigger population by building more high rise buildings and denser areas.

GO STAMFORD GO!.....GROW STAMFORD GROW!
Somebody has to make major money in this state. I am counting on it in my retirement lol.

Miami Population 442,421
Stamford Population 135, 470

That's it....Miami's population is like a little Boston. I would have though Miami would have 2X the land as Stamford. Plenty of room for Stamford to grow. And maybe New Haven and Hartford with 200,000 to 250,000 would be good too. I would love to see New Haven and Stamford little Boston's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut