Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 01:07 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Hartford lost 3,700

https://ctnewsjunkie.com/2021/08/13/...-demographics/

No it isn't a bias either its census data

2010 Population

2020 Population

Meanwhile across the border mass has grow, including Springfield. Hartford lost 3,000 and Springfield gained 3,000.so the gap keeps growing.

https://www.masslive.com/boston/2021...0000-mark.html

Rents are also increasing due to the foundation issue. You can't sell a house let alone rent it out if the foundation is falling apart.

Jobs aren't tied to Hartford anymore or any other urban area for administrative office professionals. Covid is global and things won't really be back until it is gone globally. If you know simple algebra see this

https://medium.com/@EpiEllie/what-do...sk-d98df830376

Hartford has potential but it's going to probably need a redesign of their city government going beyond finances. Make it a place to live, not visit.
You are right Hartford lost 3,724, not just 724. My bad for not checking my typing. But that changes nothing I said so it doesn’t matter. Hartford is still the center of a metro area of about 1.2 million and it’s still the second largest employment center in New England. Hartford’s population loss is apparently a trend across the country since many cities lost population.

https://therealdeal.com/2021/05/05/m...ation-in-2020/

You are also correct that Springfield grew but you neglect to mention that many western Massachusetts cities lost population like Holyoke, Pittsfield, North Adams, and Westfield. In fact Berkshire County lost 1.7% of its population since 2010.

https://www.wwlp.com/news/state-poli...massachusetts/

https://www.berkshireeagle.com/news/...9ca396768.html

What “foundation issue”? If you are talking about the foundation problems in north central Connecticut due to one contractor using stone from a particular quarry, I am not aware of an issues with foundations in Hartford, let alone any apartments. And I am not sure why you think this affects rents. Hartford has one of the tightest rental markets in the country. That means getting more for rents , not less.

I will also like to point out that your comment on jobs not being tied to Hartford anymore could be said about any city across the country, even Boston. As bad as Connecticut rents can be, they can’t compare to the insanity of rentals in Boston. If anything you should be more concerned about there than Hartford. Just saying, Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 01:52 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You are right Hartford lost 3,724, not just 724. My bad for not checking my typing. But that changes nothing I said so it doesn’t matter. Hartford is still the center of a metro area of about 1.2 million and it’s still the second largest employment center in New England. Hartford’s population loss is apparently a trend across the country since many cities lost population.

https://therealdeal.com/2021/05/05/m...ation-in-2020/

Yes and no.

Most cities in the Northeast Hartford's size or bigger actually increased though, including some surprises like Buffalo, Rochester, Albany and Syracuse in upstate NY who had their first (small) gains since the 1950 Census (with Buffalo leading them at a 6% gain). I believe the biggest gain in the Northeast was the 14.1% that Worcester gained. And of course there was the huge surprise with New York City.

Pittsburgh and Baltimore are the only two other significant Northeast cities I can think of that lost population (I'm not counting anything smaller than Hartford that lost pop).

But there are cases of losses in other parts of the US. Detroit continued it's population slide for example as did Cleveland and St. Louis. A lot of the cities and urban areas that lost pop were in the Midwest.

Old 08-15-2021, 02:23 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Default 2020 official Census crowns...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I saw this yesterday about NYC. I would have never though NYC grew like this. I assumed they lost population, especially with a lot of the prognosticators on this site.

2020 Census shows NYC’s diverse population grew to unexpected 8.8M.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...YCs-population

When NYC grows in population it makes sense that towns and cities along Metro North and Fairfield County will grow too. My mom's family was from Brooklyn and moved to the Stamford area, NJ and Long Island. In the neighborhood where I grew up in Stamford I would say about 20% to 25% of the people moved there from NYC/Westchester by the time I was 18.

This is surprising especially since we see posters* (from other states) all the time on here that EVERYONE from the north is leaving and moving down south lol. I was starting to believe it so this below is good news.

"Leading a decade of rapid growth and increasing diversity in metro areas from coast to coast, the city (NYC) grew by a healthy 7%, or about 630,000 people, defying predictions about lackluster growth in the five boroughs..........Out of the nation’s 10 biggest cities, only a handful of Sun Belt burgs grew faster than Gotham in the past decade."

All of those people who moved to Fairfield County during Covid would have eventually made it here anyway eventually. Covid just made the decision faster for them.

**Especially my friend "Beach" from FL in the CT economic thread. She keeps insisting that CT will fall into the crapper because we are tied to NYC and they are doing do bad because everyone is leaving......SURPRISE lol.
I almost feel as thought I could have written your post here because what you wrote is absolutely on target and true and also then also dovetails with my opinions!
There is such a huge naysaying, anti-city and anti-north contingent on this site and in the general U.S. population that it's a delight seeing them caught flatfooted when their dire predictions are smashed into oblivion by actual facts and data such as the new census count. For example, how many jaws fell and broke upon hitting the floor when the new 2020 data revealed that New York City's gain of 630,000 in population was by far the largest numerical increase recorded by any city in the U.S. and that Connecticut did not fall into the toilet and lose population.
I'm calling for a pity party for your florida friend "Beach" that you mentioned late in your post. She must be unhappy at the turn of events in the Census count.
To top it off, she lives in a swamp, i.e. florida!

Old 08-15-2021, 02:29 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Yes and no.

Most cities in the Northeast Hartford's size or bigger actually increased though, including some surprises like Buffalo, Rochester, Albany and Syracuse in upstate NY who had their first (small) gains since the 1950 Census (with Buffalo leading them at a 6% gain). I believe the biggest gain in the Northeast was the 14.1% that Worcester gained. And of course there was the huge surprise with New York City.

Pittsburgh and Baltimore are the only two other significant Northeast cities I can think of that lost population (I'm not counting anything smaller than Hartford that lost pop).

But there are cases of losses in other parts of the US. Detroit continued it's population slide for example as did Cleveland and St. Louis. A lot of the cities and urban areas that lost pop were in the Midwest.
Even Waterbury saw population increase

Old 08-15-2021, 02:35 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I almost feel as thought I could have written your post here because what you wrote is absolutely on target and true and also then also dovetails with my opinions!
There is such a huge naysaying, anti-city and anti-north contingent on this site and in the general U.S. population that it's a delight seeing them caught flatfooted when their dire predictions are smashed into oblivion by actual facts and data such as the new census count. For example, how many jaws fell and broke upon hitting the floor when the new 2020 data revealed that New York City's gain of 630,000 in population was by far the largest numerical increase recorded by any city in the U.S. and that Connecticut did not fall into the toilet and lose population.
I'm calling for a pity party for your florida friend "Beach" that you mentioned late in your post. She must be unhappy at the turn of events in the Census count.
To top it off, she lives in a swamp, i.e. florida!

The way everyone was talking on here I though we were going to see NYC go down by 500,000 or more. I really did.

Maybe some posters can tell me about this.

Doesn't NYC and the states themselves count the populations in between the Census? How could it be possible that no one knew the population of NYC was increasing so much and get such a big surprise at the 10 year Census point?

Old 08-15-2021, 02:38 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
There is such a huge naysaying, anti-city and anti-north contingent on this site and in the general U.S. population that it's a delight seeing them caught flatfooted when their dire predictions are smashed into oblivion by actual facts and data such as the new census count.
I don't read the topics in other states on here only CT that I live in. Do you mean there are these kind of negative posts in the other northern states too? I mean from people who live outside of that particular state?

Old 08-15-2021, 02:50 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
I don't read the topics in other states on here only CT that I live in. Do you mean there are these kind of negative posts in the other northern states too? I mean from people who live outside of that particular state?
yeah. esp on city vs city. Worcester hitting 206k (Was est at 184k), all major NJ cities being undercounted by atleast 20k caused a change in tone. NY NJ CT MA RI were all significantly undercounted. Since the release more folk have become less doomsday on the NE region.

Old 08-15-2021, 04:17 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:

The way everyone was talking on here I though we were going to see NYC go down by 500,000 or more. I really did.

Maybe some posters can tell me about this.

Doesn't NYC and the states themselves count the populations in between the Census? How could it be possible that no one knew the population of NYC was increasing so much and get such a big surprise at the 10 year Census point?
The census was done too early to reflect population changes due to Covid.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:01 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
The census was done too early to reflect population changes due to Covid.

Yes and no.

It technically reflects April 1, in which some of the supposed "move outs" already occurred, but not all of them. But people started submitting Census forms earlier, so there's still something to what you're saying.

But if we started out 600,000 up, it still doesn't mean NYC would've had 500K less than in 2010. I do think some of the population gain backslided over the last year (but there are signs it has stopped and may be increasing again), but that would mean over a million moved out, which I don't think happened. Probably 250-500K

To answer another question here, annual Census estimates are based on started with the Census year and seeing how many more births vs. deaths occurred. Since that doesn't account for immigration or moving in/out, they also compare the number of tax forms (and dependents, etc.) to the previous year.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:29 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Yes and no.

It technically reflects April 1, in which some of the supposed "move outs" already occurred, but not all of them. But people started submitting Census forms earlier, so there's still something to what you're saying.

But if we started out 600,000 up, it still doesn't mean NYC would've had 500K less than in 2010. I do think some of the population gain backslided over the last year (but there are signs it has stopped and may be increasing again), but that would mean over a million moved out, which I don't think happened. Probably 250-500K

To answer another question here, annual Census estimates are based on started with the Census year and seeing how many more births vs. deaths occurred. Since that doesn't account for immigration or moving in/out, they also compare the number of tax forms (and dependents, etc.) to the previous year.
Wasn’t April 1 the deadline? Meaning most people had already submitted weeks or months before. I recall submitting mine much earlier.

I don’t think the exodus started in March anyway. People were still waiting to see how it would play out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut