Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2021, 08:44 AM

816 posts, read 485,039 times

Advertisements

New Haven is experiencing a housing boom right now. The growth pattern is a bit different from Stamford given the Yale presence, but it's there. All three cities (Hartford, New Haven, and Stamford) are different. They also seem to be doing development that fits the needs of their communities. It helps that the mayors of these cities are pretty competent too and understand that you have to build new housing (+Bridgeport too although their mayor is....interesting). As for the affordable housing piece, yes that's needed, but I'd much rather see New Haven build a ton of new market rate housing to grow the tax base and add vibrancy to under developed spots, especially near the train stations. We already are the affordable housing center for the region and I'd rather see the towns pick up their fair share there or else CT needs to invest a ton via PILOT if folks want New Haven to take on ALL the affordable housing to "protect the character" of their towns.

https://www.newhavenindependent.org/...building_boom/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2021, 08:58 AM

4,531 posts, read 3,435,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
New Haven is experiencing a housing boom right now. The growth pattern is a bit different from Stamford given the Yale presence, but it's there. All three cities (Hartford, New Haven, and Stamford) are different. They also seem to be doing development that fits the needs of their communities. It helps that the mayors of these cities are pretty competent too and understand that you have to build new housing (+Bridgeport too although their mayor is....interesting). As for the affordable housing piece, yes that's needed, but I'd much rather see New Haven build a ton of new market rate housing to grow the tax base and add vibrancy to under developed spots, especially near the train stations. We already are the affordable housing center for the region and I'd rather see the towns pick up their fair share there or else CT needs to invest a ton via PILOT if folks want New Haven to take on ALL the affordable housing to "protect the character" of their towns.

https://www.newhavenindependent.org/...building_boom/

"We already are the affordable housing center for the region and I'd rather see the towns pick up their fair share there or else CT needs to invest a ton via PILOT if folks want New Haven to take on ALL the affordable housing to "protect the character" of their towns."

"I'd much rather see New Haven build a ton of new market rate housing to grow the tax base and add vibrancy to under developed spots, especially near the train stations."

Almost 1/3 of New Haven's housing is affordable housing and that is just too much. It's not fair. Stamford on the other hand has north Stamford where the wealhty live to balance out the town.

Old 08-21-2021, 09:06 AM

14,130 posts, read 14,107,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

"We already are the affordable housing center for the region and I'd rather see the towns pick up their fair share there or else CT needs to invest a ton via PILOT if folks want New Haven to take on ALL the affordable housing to "protect the character" of their towns."

"I'd much rather see New Haven build a ton of new market rate housing to grow the tax base and add vibrancy to under developed spots, especially near the train stations."

Almost 1/3 of New Haven's housing is affordable housing and that is just too much. It's not fair. Stamford on the other hand has north Stamford where the wealhty live to balance out the town.
They want Norwalk and Stamford for the rich South Norwalk is changing.

Old 08-21-2021, 12:12 PM

21,974 posts, read 28,431,049 times
Drove through New Haven yesterday and there’s so much new construction. A bunch between hospital and train station, where I think the ultimate goal is to fill in that whole area. The massive projects in Wooster Square are almost done. And another big phase on Audubon. There were other smaller ones too. That city will easily add another 5,000 residents. Most of these projects are market rate, and “luxury”.

Downtown had more commercial vacancies than I’d like to see, but Westville and East Rock/Upper State have good occupancy. I think post pandemic downtown will fill those vacancies. A new Warby Parker store was under construction, across from Lululemon and Patagonia. A sure sign of continued gentrification.

Old 08-21-2021, 06:41 PM

6,762 posts, read 6,804,303 times
Was recently in New Haven and couldn't believe the construction. I had a six week summer job there in college in the 90s and it was dead then. Visited periodically over the years, have some friends at Yale, and never seen it like this.

New Haven seems like a more interesting city than Stamford or Hartford but damn hard to get to. I flew in and out of Boston where I have family and took Amtrak each way. Few years back, I tried to get there from JFK and it took over three hours. I know there's new air service starting, but the inaccessibility is the biggest barrier to the city's growth.

Old 08-21-2021, 07:15 PM

816 posts, read 485,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Was recently in New Haven and couldn't believe the construction. I had a six week summer job there in college in the 90s and it was dead then. Visited periodically over the years, have some friends at Yale, and never seen it like this.

New Haven seems like a more interesting city than Stamford or Hartford but damn hard to get to. I flew in and out of Boston where I have family and took Amtrak each way. Few years back, I tried to get there from JFK and it took over three hours. I know there's new air service starting, but the inaccessibility is the biggest barrier to the city's growth.
I hear ya on airport accessibility, which is now starting to get some attention. BDL/Hartford have historically been a bit adversarial about New Haven expanding its airport (glad Lamont and Blumenthal are now giving the greenlight to Tweed expansion - political leadership was lacking in the past from the State/Feds). The East Side Access project in NYC will help better connect Metro North to LIRR --> JFK so hopeful things to come.

Otherwise, New Haven is very well connected from a freeway, commuter/regional rail perspective (one of the best in the country being along the NE corridor and connected to Amtrak + a NYC commuter rail namesake line - "New Haven Line" into the gorgeous Grand Central Terminal).

The transport connections along with the lower (but rising) cost of living between NY and Boston, very strong cultural sector, cheaper starting costs for biotech start ups, walkability, and Yale are fueling a lot of the growth Downtown and adjacent areas like East Rock and Wooster Square especially.

If the city and state make smart investments, I can see New Haven taking full advantage of this new distributed or hybrid/remote work world for knowledge workers.

Last edited by norcal2k19; 08-21-2021 at 07:57 PM..

Old 08-21-2021, 09:14 PM

7,304 posts, read 3,975,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Stamford is already putting apartments on the upper portion of High Ridge Road. Condos went in close to the Parkway in the area I lived in near Westhill HS on Long Ridge Road. Stamford's population can explode. The section between Bulls Head and the Parkway is seeing growth it never had. Every time I go to Stamford it seems there are condos going in OUTSIDE of downtown in the higher zoning. The areas in Stamford that have houses in 1/4 and 1/2 acre lots are seeing drastic change too....not just downtown.

The other cities in CT can't do that.....they don't have the space like Stamford and the bordering towns won't budge on their zoning......except for maybe Trumbull. We are putting the condos in near the mall and the entire mall area was changed to mixed-use so it can have apartments on top of businesses. Trumbull changed the zoning on and near lower Main Street too....not just at the mall.
Room to grow in Stamford? Everytime I'm in Stamford it feels like the world is closing in on it's so clausterphobic. People and structures are falling all over each other.
Stamford isn't bordered by towns, it's bordered by cities, congested ones like Darien. Overflowing. Why do you want population to explode? you can't move around as it is now. Forget what Yogi said, CT is crowded and everybody still wants to go there. Do yourself a favor up in Branford for retirement - stay there, don't go anywhere. Forget Sunday pasta down at cousin Vinny's in Stamford unless you want sit through snarls and standstills through 11 crowded cities on the SW coastline.

Old 08-21-2021, 09:34 PM

7,304 posts, read 3,975,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post

Tweed is the key component. You expand and upgrade that then sky's the limit for New Haven. It instantaneosly becomes CT's premier major city destination, there's no denying it.

Old 08-21-2021, 09:54 PM

34,277 posts, read 17,352,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Tweed is the key component. You expand and upgrade that then sky's the limit for New Haven. It instantaneosly becomes CT's premier major city destination, there's no denying it.
Tweed expansion talk has been around many decades now. It will not occur. You do not get anywhere trying to expand an airport that is too close to existing neighborhoods. In any state.

I do agree New Haven is limited by a lack of a true airport, but so be it. It can survive w/o one.

Old 08-22-2021, 05:55 AM

14,130 posts, read 14,107,208 times
Stamford is unofficial CT biggest city it will take title from Bridgeport between 2026 and 2028. New Haven will see population boom as well it might tie with Bridgeport for population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut