Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 12:34 PM

7,921 posts, read 7,811,466 times

Advertisements

The other issue I see with this is if trash and recycling is not tightly packed when picked up. Most places now have a fork and if literally dumps it into a compactor. But where I am now isn't the case
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2021, 01:59 PM

184 posts, read 106,509 times
I have actually found that since the plastic bag ban happened, I see basically none on walking paths, flying around parking lots, or in my front pond/trees area.

Still see the same amount of "typical" type trash along highways and parking lots.

Old 08-30-2021, 06:44 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,184,400 times
Not sure if getting worse, but it's certainly not getting better!
So here is my takeaway....

With so many believing in climate change, we must stop big oil, eliminate plastic everything, etc...

Everyone loves to talk, but that's about it.... Everything is a good idea for how someone else should live their life...
Virtue signaling doesn't work....
Just saw a picture from yesterday after an event......trash everywhere....

Littering is a pet peeve of mine.....

Old 09-09-2021, 07:48 PM

21,741 posts, read 28,070,632 times
I contacted our state rep about this. They're concerned too and are going to do ask around.

Old 01-10-2023, 12:20 PM

Coming back to this, it’s still really a big problem. Still noticing a ton of litter. A lot of this is people throwing fast food, water bottles, nips, etc out the window. Total disregard for any local pride. Selfish trash.

But also it seems like cities and the state aren’t keeping up with cleanup at all.

It’s not bad in my local neighborhood. I do trash walks still. But most of what I’m seeing is on high traffic roads. It’s REALLY bad in parts of West Haven.

Old 01-10-2023, 01:21 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,184,400 times
Out driving with my kids the other day. At every traffic light you see people running the red light. Now years ago if you witnessed this, you would be surprised. Nowadays we’re numb to it.
It’s the norm.

Old 01-10-2023, 01:24 PM

6,895 posts, read 3,738,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Out driving with my kids the other day. At every traffic light you see people running the red light. Now years ago if you witnessed this, you would be surprised. Nowadays we’re numb to it.
It’s the norm.
Yes, it is the norm, that is correct. Shoplifting, traffic infractions and littering are now accepted forms of practice in several certain states.

Old 01-29-2023, 01:10 PM

Bringing this back, the problem seems to be worse than ever this winter.

I met a family member at the Exit 41 park and ride in Westport. The whole bank next to Merrritt was covered in trash. An obscene amount. I see it on highways, ramps, main roads. Many numbered state routes.

So, serious question: does the state not allocate funds for regular trash pickup? It seems like they do very little. Have people simply gotten worse with littering since Covid, or has the state just not had as many cleanups since pre-pandemic? Anyone know?

Old 01-29-2023, 01:43 PM

6,586 posts, read 4,970,443 times
Maybe they should actually fine people for littering. Like the signs say.

People still just throw things out of their windows.

Less than a week after you originally posted this, I was away and driving with my windows and sunroof open. I dipped into a valley and caught a gust of wind and lost a full sheet of paper out the sunroof. I watched it come down in someones yard so I turned around the first place I could, drove back to pick it up and apologized to the guy next door who was mowing his own lawn. I mean it was a total accident and I still felt bad. I would love to know what goes on in the minds of people who throw a McDonalds bag out their window on purpose.

Or how about those jerks who dump their coffee on the ground while getting gas, so the next person gets it all over their shoes? It's not like there aren't pails *right there*

Old 01-29-2023, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Maybe they should actually fine people for littering. Like the signs say.

People still just throw things out of their windows.

Less than a week after you originally posted this, I was away and driving with my windows and sunroof open. I dipped into a valley and caught a gust of wind and lost a full sheet of paper out the sunroof. I watched it come down in someones yard so I turned around the first place I could, drove back to pick it up and apologized to the guy next door who was mowing his own lawn. I mean it was a total accident and I still felt bad. I would love to know what goes on in the minds of people who throw a McDonalds bag out their window on purpose.

Or how about those jerks who dump their coffee on the ground while getting gas, so the next person gets it all over their shoes? It's not like there aren't pails *right there*
Main character syndrome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: