Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 12:09 PM

21,732 posts, read 28,059,998 times

Advertisements

I’ve observed in the past year or so an increase in littering almost everywhere.

It’s always been somewhat of an issue in more populated areas but seems to have gotten so much worse. It’s gotten to the point where we decided to do something about it and do occasional “trash walks” where we pick up.

Where it seems to be the worst is on highway on and off ramps.

This is one of those things that I believe the “broken windows” theory applies to. The worse it looks, the more likely people are to contribute to it.

Seems like the state should be doing more, or it’ll never get better.

I understand it’s difficult to do cleanup on highways, but it should not be difficult on on/off ramps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2021, 02:13 PM

332 posts, read 217,680 times
They're raising the bottle deposit from 5 cents to 10 cents and will be expanding more types of bottles to have the bottle deposit. They said it's because they too noticed an increase in littering in CT and decreasing participation in bottle redemption.

Old 08-21-2021, 02:34 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,628,700 times
Nips. Everywhere on the side of the street. There are all kinds of reasons to ban them. If people want to "try" a small quantity of something, they can go buy a shot at the bar.

Old 08-21-2021, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
Nips. Everywhere on the side of the street. There are all kinds of reasons to ban them. If people want to "try" a small quantity of something, they can go buy a shot at the bar.
Oh yeah. We pick up a lot of those on our walks. Garbage people.

Old 08-21-2021, 06:24 PM

27 posts, read 20,526 times
I agree, you can’t seem to go anywhere anymore without seeing Dunkin trash. Like not an accidental blow away napkin but full bags of trash. When I walk my dog (yorkie) I used to put in a few pieces of trash. Now I’m putting in like 3 nippers (new stop sign on our walk), and so much fast food trash. The hardest part for me, not seeing other folks with bags pitching in to pick up (and this was before covid).

Old 08-21-2021, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobinj25 View Post
I agree, you can’t seem to go anywhere anymore without seeing Dunkin trash. Like not an accidental blow away napkin but full bags of trash. When I walk my dog (yorkie) I used to put in a few pieces of trash. Now I’m putting in like 3 nippers (new stop sign on our walk), and so much fast food trash. The hardest part for me, not seeing other folks with bags pitching in to pick up (and this was before covid).
We do get a lot of people thanking us when we do it. I’ve only seen one other couple doing a garbage pickup walk, once.

Old 08-21-2021, 07:22 PM

6,578 posts, read 4,966,508 times
Yes and it's worse since covid because now masks are on the ground too. And water bottles. Because no one can walk 3.7 minutes without their water bottle (until they put it down and forget it)

But I gotta know, what's up with those plastic flossing things? I swear people buy them, try one in the car and say "nope, this is awkward" and out the window it goes.

I hate the nipper bottles. Most of them hide in the weeds till the lawnmower finds them.

Old 08-21-2021, 07:22 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,810,469 times
I get nips in my front yard. There's a liquor store near me but I can't really blame them. Urban areas can treat bushes like trash cans bug this is straight out tossing it. Lower populated rural areas have less reinforcement. Just like some come to quiet areas for the quiet and some come to be loud.

Old 08-22-2021, 08:26 AM

89 posts, read 123,152 times
It's horrible. I live in a very rural area and my road is covered in nips, beer cans/bottles and cigarette wrappers. I pick up a trash bags worth every few months in just my 2 mile walk. Whats wrong with people?

Old 08-22-2021, 12:32 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,783,946 times
NYC residents who have moved to CT, still think they are in NYC it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: