Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 12:41 PM

34,091 posts, read 17,152,745 times

Advertisements

IMO 3 years is too short a window to buy - period. I assume your employer is already planning your next role, your next location, given your 3 year statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 12:45 PM

21,795 posts, read 28,174,061 times
First off, Fairfield is MUCH more expensive than West Hartford.

Hartford area economy is pretty stable. Not sure where you’re getting that from. West Hartford is one of the most desirable suburbs in that whole region. Prices are sustainable.

I don’t know what you mean by “Nice "center", but not much of restaurants towards beach area.” — why would you expect restaurants in the beach areas? They’re mostly residential areas. You have a few: Birdhouse, Bonfire, Dive Bar, Greek Spot, Villa Bistro, etc.

Lastly, New Heaven(sic) has nice areas that are not run down. Not sure what you are basing this off of. East Rock, Westville, Prospect Hill, Wooster Square, East Shore are especially nice residential areas. If you want a city with the most things to do, restaurants, walkable areas, and don’t mind the commute and don’t need good schools—New Haven is it. I’d recommend East Rock for access to the city and 91.

If only staying 3 years, just rent.

Last edited by Stylo; 10-11-2021 at 02:15 PM..

Old 10-11-2021, 01:03 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugtussle View Post
We are moving for work to CT. One spouse has to relocate. One spouse going to work from home.
Work is near Hartford. However, doesn't have to be every day. Access to "life" than work proximity is more important due to work from home aspect of at least one spouse. Major airport (New York, Boston area) proximity would be a plus

We have been all over CT (physically and Zillow) to look for a new home. We know at this point that CT is a very tough housing market.

Our initial conclusion:
West Hartford: a possibility with house with walking distance to restaurants

Pros: commute, restaurants, feels a bit to common life we are used to

Cons: house prices are through the roof, tough to imagine this is sustainable with the low to no job growth in Hartford area, also rather high property tax.
Frankly, so far we have not been outbid, just couldn't find a house to our liking yet. While we like older homes, the CT older style appears to be rather small/low ceiling

New Heaven
While we like the initial idea of a mini city we just don't feel comfortable. Has a bit of a run down feel

Milford:
Seems like a nice feel, with some areas with some beach town feel. Nice "center", but not much of restaurants towards beach area. Closer to NY area

Fairfield:
Getting pricier. But general good vibe. While prices are higher it seems price increase (%) is not as extreme as in West Hartford. Closest to NY.

We are ok to pay a bit more but concerned about house price increase vs location/desirability

Any thoughts, suggestions are more than welcome.
You're not really going to get major airport proximity anywhere in Connecticut, though the closest you can come is lower Fairfield County, which has stratospheric prices and is nowhere near the job in Hartford.

I think that if you are going to be working in Hartford and will need to travel into Hartford sometimes, and your spouse will be working from home, you might as well be near Hartford so you have ease of commute. There are a number of very nice towns around Hartford, of which West Hartford is one. West Hartford is probably the most "cosmopolitan" of the towns around Hartford, with a large and very nice downtown with good restaurants and shops. Other nice towns around Hartford might have more of a small town feel, so it's a matter of taste.

I'm not sure why you are looking down on the coast, unless you want relative ease of travel into New York sometimes. How often would you be going? If not very often, then it's not worth paying the higher prices to be on the coast.

You don't say whether schools are a concern. If they are, I would rule out New Haven, even though it has some nice residential sections.

Old 10-11-2021, 01:04 PM

34,983 posts, read 57,077,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You’re kind of all over the map, here. What’s your price range?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You’ve mentioned price several times but haven’t provided us with your maximum budget yet. That’s something that will very much determine what areas we recommend.

If you’re only planning to stay a few years, I’m not sure I’d buy even in a buyer’s market.
I agree but it’s not only price. The OP needs to tell us more about the type of town they want. Are schools important? What do they want/expect for their budget?

I also agree that they need to stop searching the state. They need to hone in on one area and concentrate on it to find an acceptable place to live. If their spouse will be working in Hartford three days a week, then they should concentrate on the greater Hartford area. Commuting to Hartford that often will be difficult and draining when you live more than 30 minutes away. Why subject them to a long commute weekly so you can be closer to a large international airport that you only use several times a year.

There are many great communities near Hartford that could work. I laughed at the comment that they thought West Hartford home prices were expensive and approaching Fairfield prices. I’ll concede that taxes in West Hartford are very high but home prices are no where near Fairfield. If having top schools are not important, maybe consider towns like Wethersfield, Middletown or Manchester.

Wethersfield has the wonderfully charming Old Wethersfield neighborhood. It’s an area of beautiful old homes surrounding a small group of shops and restaurants. It so charming at least two Hallmark movies were filmed there.

If you want a bigger business district and good schools are not important then consider Middletown. It has a great town center with lots of great shops and restaurants including a branch of a wonderful local bookstore, RJ Julia. It is also home to Wesleyan University so it has a great college town vibe to it.

Manchester also has a nice downtown though it’s not as lively as West Hartford. It’s also home to one of the states largest regional shopping districts, Buckland Hills, so shopping and restaurants are abundant.

As I said more information would help us help the OP find a town that works. I also agree that unless they are going to stay there for five yesrs, it’s foolish to buy. They should consider renting instead. Jay

Old 10-11-2021, 01:05 PM

7,932 posts, read 7,836,627 times
What would make you only stay in a place for 3 years? I think of you buy homes in most areas they'll probably ask you if you're going to be staying for a long-term. I mean if you buy a house and then sell it within 3 years are you willing to accept the fact you might break even or you looking to actually save money versus renting? I recently bought a house and I can tell you that it was just closer to my girlfriend and cheaper than renting as for the long-term. Before that when I moved I was renting in the shorts are in before I made a jump to buy the house. 3 years can go by pretty fast

Old 10-11-2021, 02:23 PM

34,091 posts, read 17,152,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
What would make you only stay in a place for 3 years?
If OP is an up and comer with his corp, many move those people around, multiple times, to expose them to all facets of a business. A fast track path upward.

Its quite common at large corporations.

Old 10-11-2021, 08:18 PM

11 posts, read 6,382 times
thanks for all your thoughts.

A couple of additional inputs

Yes, I did think about renting as well. But just could not find anything reasonable that is not "entry level" or "academic rental (Milford)".

Price range: target is $700k can go higher. But so far price wasn't really the limiting factor just yet.

Looking for 3 bedroom, 2000 isch sqft and 2 car garage. Reasonable sized bedroom also for the work from home.

Work is east of Hartford

Schools are not a factor.

Old 10-12-2021, 07:27 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Quote:

Yes, I did think about renting as well. But just could not find anything reasonable that is not "entry level" or "academic rental (Milford)".

Price range: target is $700k can go higher. But so far price wasn't really the limiting factor just yet.

Looking for 3 bedroom, 2000 isch sqft and 2 car garage. Reasonable sized bedroom also for the work from home.

Work is east of Hartford

How far from Hartford is your work? How often would you have to go into the office?

Old 10-12-2021, 09:33 AM

21,795 posts, read 28,174,061 times
Quote:

Work is east of Hartford

I just looked at rental sites and found a few units.

Old 10-12-2021, 10:40 AM

34,983 posts, read 57,077,795 times
Quote:

Work is east of Hartford

Your price range is pretty good for the greater Hartford area. I find it hard to believe you can’t find a nice home in a good town. In your price range I’d suggest looking in Glastonbury. It’s a highly desirable affluent community southeast of Hartford. It has a nice downtown with great stores and restaurants. The schools are excellent which helps when you go to sell. Plus commuting to a job east of Hartford will be a breeze since Route 2 takes you directly from Glastonbury to downtown Hartford and East Hartford. Pretty easy now.

The only problem I see is that there is a severe lack of inventory in your price range. I was shocked but be patient. More homes come on the market every week. As I said, I think you need to concentrate on one or two communities rather than looking all over the state. That just confuses things. Good luck with your search. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut