Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2021, 06:12 PM
ch1 ch1 started this thread

109 posts, read 131,738 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to have a decent life on $100k annual salary in Farmington CT? (count in 30k Fed tax not cut plus 20k for putting away in retirement & take home abt 4k/month). Farmington seems cozy as a campus town, not overpopulated. Please educate me. Does it get too cold. Well I have enjoyed cold places such as, SD & MI! & DC for abt a dozen yrs. Well I was younger then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2021, 06:27 PM

464 posts, read 311,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1 View Post
Is it possible to have a decent life on $100k annual salary in Farmington CT? (count in 30k Fed tax not cut plus 20k for putting away in retirement & take home abt 4k/month). Farmington seems cozy as a campus town, not overpopulated. Please educate me. Does it get too cold. Well I have enjoyed cold places such as, SD & MI! & DC for abt a dozen yrs. Well I was younger then.
Cold is a relative word. Compared to most areas of MI, probably not, compared to DC, sure it’s colder. Compared to northern VT, no. I would suggest you look up weather for Hartford CT and decide for yourself what cold is.

As far as can you live off $100K, sure, why not. Spending $2K on housing leaves you with $45K a year after taxes. Seems like you would be fine on that. So much of “is income enough” depends on what you do. Do you have debt? Do you have/want a $200 cable bill or do you just need internet and Netflix? Do you buy groceries and cook or eat out every meal and get $5 Starbucks daily? Do you drive a huge gas guzzling SUV or have a gas friendly sedan?

To answer your question directly, yes, typically $100K is fine. But everyone is different on what their own budget is and how they spend money. For me personally, no, $100K isn’t “enough” in the sense that I would have to compromise on various things but for you not might be different.

Old 12-18-2021, 08:35 PM

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1017 View Post
Cold is a relative word. Compared to most areas of MI, probably not, compared to DC, sure it’s colder. Compared to northern VT, no. I would suggest you look up weather for Hartford CT and decide for yourself what cold is.

As far as can you live off $100K, sure, why not. Spending $2K on housing leaves you with $45K a year after taxes. Seems like you would be fine on that. So much of “is income enough” depends on what you do. Do you have debt? Do you have/want a $200 cable bill or do you just need internet and Netflix? Do you buy groceries and cook or eat out every meal and get $5 Starbucks daily? Do you drive a huge gas guzzling SUV or have a gas friendly sedan?

To answer your question directly, yes, typically $100K is fine. But everyone is different on what their own budget is and how they spend money. For me personally, no, $100K isn’t “enough” in the sense that I would have to compromise on various things but for you not might be different.

Grateful thanks for you prompt response. I am a frugal Scientist. No debts, with 1 kid in College!!

Old 12-19-2021, 06:44 AM

708 posts, read 401,090 times
According to the 2020 census, Farmington's population increased 5% since 2010 which I believe is one of the highest increases for a non-city in CT. I only mention that because you said it seems cozy and not over populated. And it's not, just know that the town is growing, and at a faster rate than other burbs.

As for the climate, it depends. CT has been trending warmer like everywhere else on the globe. The coldest months are January/February. Most days will have highs in the 30s and lows in the teens/20s during these months. One year November can be 50 every day and the next year November can be 30 every day. CT's weather is unpredictable. We can have 3 days of snow in a row in early March and the next couple days could be in the mid 50s.

That said, it's a very nice town. One of the nicest with quick highway access that's not down by the shoreline in my opinion. I do believe you can live comfortably on $100k a year as long as you're not some crazy, impulsive spender.

Old 12-19-2021, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundTableKnight View Post
According to the 2020 census, Farmington's population increased 5% since 2010 which I believe is one of the highest increases for a non-city in CT. I only mention that because you said it seems cozy and not over populated. And it's not, just know that the town is growing, and at a faster rate than other burbs.

As for the climate, it depends. CT has been trending warmer like everywhere else on the globe. The coldest months are January/February. Most days will have highs in the 30s and lows in the teens/20s during these months. One year November can be 50 every day and the next year November can be 30 every day. CT's weather is unpredictable. We can have 3 days of snow in a row in early March and the next couple days could be in the mid 50s.

That said, it's a very nice town. One of the nicest with quick highway access that's not down by the shoreline in my opinion. I do believe you can live comfortably on $100k a year as long as you're not some crazy, impulsive spender.

Thank you very much.

Old 12-19-2021, 03:14 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
The traffic on route 4 in Farmington is a nightmare. I'd avoid living there if I had to drive that route on a daily basis.

Old 12-19-2021, 05:07 PM

^ this is true

Old 12-21-2021, 04:48 PM

34,916 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Are you married? Do you have children? Do you have a car?

Farmington is a beautiful suburban community with good schools and a lot of nice amenities. You certainly can live there on a $100,000 salary as long as you are not extravagant or have a lot of heavy debt. I think you will do fine. Jay

Old 12-21-2021, 07:28 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
You can definitely live comfortably in Farmington for the aforementioned salary. It won't be a high-end, luxury lifestyle, but it can be done. As others have pointed out, the town has definitely grown in population over the years, but at the same time, there's been a longstanding push for preservation and open space, and some parts of town have a less dense feel, though not quite rural (if you want that, I'd suggest Canton which is less accessible as there are no highways here, which some would say is it's appeal.) I have friends who live there for less than that, both in houses and condos, and they are doing fine. It's what Jay said earlier, as long as you're not seeking an extravagant lifestyle, it will be fine. Avoid Route 4 whenever possible during peak commute times, as others suggested - this is a nightmare.

Old 12-26-2021, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Avoid Route 4 whenever possible during peak commute times, as others suggested - this is a nightmare.
3/4 years ago they did about a year long construction project over there which I thought would have helped the rt 4 catastrophe but after it was finished, same thing. Still awful, awful traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut