Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 05:31 AM

464 posts, read 313,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That’s not what I said. What was said is there are *some* [white] families in Glastonbury that are needy, not the entire town. And even aside from the poverty rate, there are more than just quite a few families that are keeping their head above water, but are a few missed paychecks from losing their home. It’s important to not paint with a broad brush.

You don’t have to be missing sewer or septic to be considered “struggling”.
You take everything so literal. Are there people in Glastonbury that struggle? Sure.

If we cannot even agree that as a whole, in general, Glastonbury is not a town I would consider to have a lot of “struggling people”, then I guess we cannot agree on anything.

“Next on Dateline, a CT town where the struggle is real…Glastonbury” … give me a break
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2021, 05:57 AM

6,949 posts, read 3,777,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Well, one thing I do know is that they did a study some years ago regarding the "controversy" of the team name Washington Redskins, and guess what? 9 out of 10 actual Native Americans did not care. It was white liberals (surprise, surprise) who presumed to know what was in everyone else's best interest.
No, it was actually the National Congress of American Indians who first brought up the Redskins controversy.
Maybe some white libs hopped on board for attention. "Skin" is an actual human physical trait, if 1 out 10 Natives don't like it, maybe that's enough, I don't know. I have no say and I have no right to get upset about it. Far left white libs hate me, I'm public enemy #1 - GenX, white, identify as male, likes women, owns multiple motors that harm the environment, all that, but I do have empathy. Some groups have been getting the shaft from The Man for too long and starting to have a voice about it and some members of The Man don't like it and view it as an assault on their livelihood.

Old 12-21-2021, 06:06 AM

1,241 posts, read 905,385 times
How do you feel when they try to erase Columbus’ name and history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
No, it was actually the National Congress of American Indians who first brought up the Redskins controversy.
Maybe some white libs hopped on board for attention. "Skin" is an actual human physical trait, if 1 out 10 Natives don't like it, maybe that's enough, I don't know. I have no say and I have no right to get upset about it. Far left white libs hate me, I'm public enemy #1 - GenX, white, identify as male, likes women, owns multiple motors that harm the environment, all that, but I do have empathy. Some groups have been getting the shaft from The Man for too long and starting to have a voice about it and some members of The Man don't like it and view it as an assault on their livelihood.

Old 12-21-2021, 06:31 AM

464 posts, read 313,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
Doesn’t matter, it’s two different things

Old 12-21-2021, 06:36 AM

6,949 posts, read 3,777,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
Your'e assuming I'm Italian. I just speak some of the language and love the culture. Best in the world.
Columbus and Myles Standish represent The Man. In charge.

Old 12-21-2021, 06:56 AM

I did assume that. That’s a microagression on my part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Your'e assuming I'm Italian. I just speak some of the language and love the culture. Best in the world.
Columbus and Myles Standish represent The Man. In charge.

Old 12-21-2021, 06:57 AM

Sure it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1017 View Post
Doesn’t matter, it’s two different things

Old 12-21-2021, 07:22 AM

6,594 posts, read 4,992,771 times
I've seen posts in other places about this. One of the things they were really upset about was there was virtually no discussion, everything was done behind closed doors due to covid. I guess they didn't have zooms setup yet.

Best part is, there was a petition to change the name, by a woman who no longer lives in town. Here is the initial petition. She is on FB so feel free to look her up and decide if you think she is woke or not. https://sign.moveon.org/petitions/dr...-the-tomahawks

In addition I think there was federal funding to be lost if they didn't make the name change.

But it sounds to me that many were upset it didn't go through the regular process.

Old 12-21-2021, 07:40 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,952,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I've seen posts in other places about this. One of the things they were really upset about was there was virtually no discussion, everything was done behind closed doors due to covid. I guess they didn't have zooms setup yet.

Best part is, there was a petition to change the name, by a woman who no longer lives in town. Here is the initial petition. She is on FB so feel free to look her up and decide if you think she is woke or not. https://sign.moveon.org/petitions/dr...-the-tomahawks

In addition I think there was federal funding to be lost if they didn't make the name change.

But it sounds to me that many were upset it didn't go through the regular process.
I think its state education funding that's at risk. However, for a wealthy town like Glastonbury, they likely receive little to no state education funding, so its unlikely to have played a part in the decision making.

In Wilton, there was a claim that the Warriors mascot is offensive b/c the spear that's used as the symbol has feathers on it. Had BOE meetings about the feathers. It was decided to remove the feathers. But there are so many instances of the feathered spear across the town on signs, on uniforms, on clothing etc. that it will be years till its gone.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:22 AM

6,594 posts, read 4,992,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
I think its state education funding that's at risk. However, for a wealthy town like Glastonbury, they likely receive little to no state education funding, so its unlikely to have played a part in the decision making.

In Wilton, there was a claim that the Warriors mascot is offensive b/c the spear that's used as the symbol has feathers on it. Had BOE meetings about the feathers. It was decided to remove the feathers. But there are so many instances of the feathered spear across the town on signs, on uniforms, on clothing etc. that it will be years till its gone.

Sorry, I think you're right on the state funding.

Feathers? That takes the cake! Personally I feel the name "warrior" depicts strength which should not be offensive to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut