Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 06:34 PM

8 posts, read 5,031 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to the Greenwich area later this year with our three children. Can anyone recommend any elementary and/or middle schools in the area that do NOT have DEI (diversity, equity and inclusion) initiatives? We are looking for a school that does not embrace woke politics or activism.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Loreleibear; 01-29-2022 at 07:26 PM..

Old 01-29-2022, 07:45 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loreleibear View Post
My husband and I are relocating to the Greenwich area later this year with our three children. Can anyone recommend any elementary and/or middle schools in the area that do NOT have DEI (diversity, equity and inclusion) initiatives? We are looking for a school that does not embrace woke politics or activism.

Thanks in advance!
I don’t know the curriculum of each school/district but I can’t imagine Greenwich would embrace woke-ism.

Old 01-29-2022, 07:51 PM

8 posts, read 5,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I don’t know the curriculum of each school/district but I can’t imagine Greenwich would embrace woke-ism.
That’s what I would hope but every private school website I’ve checked so far has a DEI page. I don’t know, maybe they’re just virtue signaling.

Old 01-29-2022, 08:49 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,351,974 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
New Canaan might have what you are looking for. Fairfield County is pretty liberal for the most part but New Canaan can be a little more on the conservative side. Frankly I don't think you will find what you are looking for even in New Canaan.

Old 01-29-2022, 10:23 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
That’s what I would hope but every private school website I’ve checked so far has a DEI page. I don’t know, maybe they’re just virtue signaling.
Every school has this because it is an important part of children’s education today.

Why are you so against your kids being exposed to diversity? Whether you like it or not, the world is changing and it’s a parent's duty to prepare them for that world. By attempting to shield them from diversity prepares them for nothing. It just postpones their entrance into the real world. That will not serve them well in the future. I would suggest you stop worrying and reconsider your position on this. Good luck. Jay

Old 01-30-2022, 05:42 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,797 times
would suggest living in a town that leans more politically conservative, like New Canaan

Regardless of where you live in CT you will likely find that DEI is presented with a strong focus on kindness, inclusion, and social emotional learning

Old 01-30-2022, 06:10 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Every school has this because it is an important part of children’s education today.

Why are you so against your kids being exposed to diversity? Whether you like it or not, the world is changing and it’s a parent's duty to prepare them for that world. By attempting to shield them from diversity prepares them for nothing. It just postpones their entrance into the real world. That will not serve them well in the future. I would suggest you stop worrying and reconsider your position on this. Good luck. Jay

Of course it says I have to spread around before I rep you....

Quote:
As someone else said, Greenwich is a lot more liberal than people think. And the town, especially the school system is much more diverse than it's "reputation". Go to the Byram neighborhood next to Port Chester, NY and you won't think you are in "stereotypical" Greenwich (they even have a very nice looking public housing project...again I am not saying it's the South Bronx or anything even remotely that but considering what people normally think about when they hear "Greenwich"). Walk through Greenwich HS and while it will hardly look "urban" or "ghetto" it won't look like a HS in New Canaan or even Westport for that matter. And the middle schools kind of reflect this too.....Western MS (the one Byram is in, in fact the school is in Byram) is very very diverse, Central MS somewhat (but not completely) less so, and Eastern MS has the look and feel of a private school or something you would see in New Canaan or Weston.

In fact, the two elementary schools in Byram, Hamilton Ave school and New Lebanon elementary are close to if not "majority minority" and the district was even sued for "segregation" of their elementary schools and have to do a small level of busing (while I'm for it in certain circumstances in this case I agree with the district it's simply neighborhood demographics).

So I can very much imagine it and applaud them for it. Greenwich is a great town (if you have the money of course) and an A+ school district, but it's very different (and I say that positively) than people think.

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 01-30-2022 at 06:18 AM..

Old 01-30-2022, 06:20 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
For some posters here, the OP wasn’t asking for your opinions on DEI, or for any of us to judge them for theirs. They simply want to know what schools have it, and which do not. That is it.

Old 01-30-2022, 06:20 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,818,729 times
DEI isn't "woke", it isn't anywhere close. Regardless woke came from one song on one track and the album also dealt with other topics.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:19 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
For some posters here, the OP wasn’t asking for your opinions on DEI, or for any of us to judge them for theirs. They simply want to know what schools have it, and which do not. That is it.
A poster who comes to a social media website and asks such a question should expect commentary, just like you have given in many of your comments. It would be hard to answer the post without comment. Unfortunately it’s a fact that a school that does not have DEI does not exist and for a very good reason. No one is being disrespectful in their response but in 2022 this is the way our world is today. Maybe it deserves questioning. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut