Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2022, 10:56 AM

5 posts, read 10,506 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to move from Northern NJ to CT. We have family moving to Norwalk in July and want to be closer to them. We don't need to be in Norwalk but just want to get an idea of towns in that area. We are targeting a move in less than a year. I currently commute 1-2 days a week into Manhattan so it would need to be in an area that makes the commute feasible. My current commute in NJ is a 15 minute drive to a train station and then 1 hour 24 minute train into Penn Station so I'm used to a long commute. With where my office is either Penn Station or Grand Central Station are doable for me. We do need to sell our NJ house (3 bed, 2 bath) before buying but I don't think we'd have a problem with that. We did get pre-approved last month for 475K while we were looking for a new NJ home (with NJ property taxes factored in) so I think we can possibly go above 500K if needed. Our daughter is entering 2nd grade in the fall so public schools are important. Any help with areas would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions or comments. Thank you. Have a blessed day.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2022, 11:38 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,628,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbfan0321 View Post
My wife and I are looking to move from Northern NJ to CT. We have family moving to Norwalk in July and want to be closer to them. We don't need to be in Norwalk but just want to get an idea of towns in that area.
Could you give an idea of how close to Norwalk you would want to be? I think your price range may limit your options in Fairfield county towns with good schools. Maybe start by looking at Trumbull. Prices are probably still inflated, so looking a bit further from Norwalk might help you.

Old 06-28-2022, 11:47 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,720,395 times
I don't mean to sound discouraging, but with prices still inflated and Fairfield County being ever-more popular for transplants from NYC, Westchester, LI and north NJ, it's going to be difficult to find a home within your budget close to NYC. Even if there's a home listed within your price range, be prepared to fight like hell for it. I would suggest the town of Fairfield since the eastern side of town tends to have more modest-sized houses, but even this area has had above-average real estate and it's only ballooned in the last 2 years. East of Fairfield are Stratford and Milford. Both are nice, middle-class suburbs within your price range with decent public schools. Both have Metro North access to Grand Central, though it will be a bit longer of a commute. These might be what you're looking for, but again, be patient and as always, please research these towns on your own when you have a chance. Best of luck!

Old 06-28-2022, 12:02 PM

21,737 posts, read 28,065,714 times
As MikefromCT mentioned, your money will barely register in the Norwalk area. Add in good schools, and forget about it.

I'd look in Trumbull, Shelton, Milford area. Pretty easy access to Norwalk outside rush hour. You MIGHT be able to squeeze into a modest place in east Fairfield, but it'll be tough.

I would skip Stratford. The public schools have issues. I have a friend that just pulled his kid out recently and into private school.

I live in Milford and used to commute to an office near GCT about 3-4 times a week. It was a 5 minute drive to train, and then a ~90 minute express. It wasn't terrible.

You can also drive to Fairfield Metro from any of the aforementioned towns, as traffic doesn't start to build up until that area.

You could push to Orange, or northern FFC town like Bethel, but that will make the commute pretty long.

Old 06-28-2022, 12:44 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
I would eye Ridgefield (commute from Katonah NY). You’ll get a small starter home, but it puts you within easy driving distance to Norwalk and close to the Metro North line in Katonah.

Old 06-28-2022, 01:57 PM

366 posts, read 780,173 times
Take a look at Bethel, CT. Really cute small town in the northern part of Fairfield County. It has it's own metro north train station with trains that connect in Stamford. Right now on Realtor.com there isn't a lot in your price range that are available, but there are a few that look nice. Many of the best ones are already contingent, which shows that you would need to be ready and able to jump on a listing right away. Good luck!

Old 06-28-2022, 02:12 PM

6,892 posts, read 3,736,068 times
It wasn't that long ago you could get a nice colonial in Weston/Wilton in the 5s. See the Current Real Estate Trend thread. You don't even have to scroll through all 16,000 pages, just go to the very first post. Keep scrolling back, all the way to page 1.
Now you won't find anything worth even half it's weight in salt in the 5s, not even in the more affordable rich but not as rich CT towns Stamford, Norwalk, and Fairfield. After Fairfield, life as you once knew it ends for NYC commuters, it's over. To this very day NYers are still hellbent on CT. Nothing will stop them and there isn't anything anyone can do about it.

Best

Old 06-28-2022, 02:47 PM

34,921 posts, read 56,918,061 times
You do not say what you expect for your budget. Unfortunately it is modest for a home within commuting distance of New York City. You might find a modest home in need of some work in Fairfield at that price. Trumbull, Milford or Stratford are also good suggestions.

If schools are important Fairfield or Trumbull are the best with Milford third. Stratford schools however struggle. They aren’t bad but are just not in the same league as the others. Good luck, Jay

Old 06-28-2022, 02:54 PM

21,737 posts, read 28,065,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTlibrarian View Post
Take a look at Bethel, CT. Really cute small town in the northern part of Fairfield County. It has it's own metro north train station with trains that connect in Stamford. Right now on Realtor.com there isn't a lot in your price range that are available, but there are a few that look nice. Many of the best ones are already contingent, which shows that you would need to be ready and able to jump on a listing right away. Good luck!
Bethel to GCT is a LONG ride. The fastest train is over 120 minutes, it's slower than and not as frequent as New Haven Line. Or, honestly, as comfortable.

Most people drive to Southeast from there to commute. Unfortunately, it's about a 30 minute drive without traffic. Could be up to 45 minutes with traffic. I suppose you could also drive to South Norwalk to grab the train. That would also be 45+ minutes. That's why it's tough for me to recommend for an NYC commute.

It is a really nice town, though.

Old 06-28-2022, 06:08 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,345,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
As MikefromCT mentioned, your money will barely register in the Norwalk area. Add in good schools, and forget about it.

I'd look in Trumbull, Shelton, Milford area. Pretty easy access to Norwalk outside rush hour. You MIGHT be able to squeeze into a modest place in east Fairfield, but it'll be tough.

I would skip Stratford. The public schools have issues. I have a friend that just pulled his kid out recently and into private school.

I live in Milford and used to commute to an office near GCT about 3-4 times a week. It was a 5 minute drive to train, and then a ~90 minute express. It wasn't terrible.

You can also drive to Fairfield Metro from any of the aforementioned towns, as traffic doesn't start to build up until that area.

You could push to Orange, or northern FFC town like Bethel, but that will make the commute pretty long.
"I'd look in Trumbull, Shelton, Milford area"

OP, I live in Trumbull. I am a Music Therapist so I am traveling in the Bridgeport/Norwalk area. It takes me about 20 minutes (out of rush hour) to get to northern East Avenue in Norwalk. That area is close to Stew Leonard's near the border of Westport.

Trumbull has the best schools out of the three towns and it is closest to Norwalk. Having said that Shelton and Milford schools are very good too. Shelton has the best (lowest) taxes of the three towns. Also in Shelton you will get the biggest bang for your buck. The biggest house/land for the least amount of taxes compared to Trumbull and Milford. But Milford has awesome beaches.

If you only need to get into Manhattan two times a week Trumbull, Shelton and Milford should all be no problem. I went to Pratt Manhattan (14th Street) and I would go in two days a week out of the Fairfield train station and I felt fine, the commute was no problem.

.......................Median House...........Price Per Square Foot
Trumbull...........$590,000.................$256
Milford..............$450,000.................$304
Shelton.............$495,000.................$230
https://www.williampitt.com/communit.../market-report

If you look at a map you will understand why Milford price per square foot is high. In most parts of town you are within 10/15 minutes to a beach.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I almost forgot. Trumbull is divided just about in two when it comes to zoning. My area of Long Hill is 1/2 acre zoning and the rest of Trumbull is 1+ acre. Long Hill is in your budget but the lots are smaller. So don't look at $590,000 and say "It's too high" if you don't mind 1/2 acre Trumbull Long Hill is good.

Here are nice houses in your budget in Long Hill on 1/2 acre.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...d/pid_47850979
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...r/pid_47503825
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...t/pid_46851966

Last edited by CTartist; 06-28-2022 at 06:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut