Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 06:56 AM

6,918 posts, read 3,754,471 times

Advertisements

The CT page photo is group of suburban wine moms holding what else, a glass of wine. Talk about nailing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2022, 07:32 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
While that certainly is true it is by no means even close to the preservation and events that are in Mass and Virginia. In Lexington for example the coffee shops open up around 4AM to anticipate the reenactment, it's huge. Some parts of history do overshadow others, I get that. Charlestown is known much more for the bombardment of Ft Sumpter than the revolutionary war.

Old 10-24-2022, 07:50 AM

506 posts, read 478,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
While that certainly is true it is by no means even close to the preservation and events that are in Mass and Virginia. In Lexington for example the coffee shops open up around 4AM to anticipate the reenactment, it's huge. Some parts of history do overshadow others, I get that. Charlestown is known much more for the bombardment of Ft Sumpter than the revolutionary war.
George Washington called Connecticut the "provisions state" because it supplied so much for the war effort. Maybe CT didn't host many battles, but none of the battles in Massachusetts, Virginia, and elsewhere would have been won without Connecticut.

Old 10-24-2022, 10:11 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,353,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Quiet_One View Post
George Washington called Connecticut the "provisions state" because it supplied so much for the war effort. Maybe CT didn't host many battles, but none of the battles in Massachusetts, Virginia, and elsewhere would have been won without Connecticut.

There is a statue of John Trumbull in front of the Trumbull town hall. When I first moved to Trumbull I wanted to know who he was and why my town was named for him.

My town of Trumbull was named for John Trumbull Sr.* who was the head of CT in the Revolutionary war and then the first Govenor of CT. I think I remember reading somewhere that John Trumbull was a big contributor $$ in the Revolutionary was effort. Here it is below.......
https://museumofcthistory.org/2015/08/jonathan-trumbull

"As a close friend and advisor to George Washington, perhaps his (Trumbull Sr.) greatest contribution to the American cause was supplying about 60 percent of the manpower, food, clothing, shoes, and munitions for the Continental Army. This feat helped earn Connecticut the unofficial nickname of “The Provisions State”. "

"According to legend, Trumbull became known as “Brother Jonathan” because at meetings George Washington was reported to have said, “Let us hear what Brother Jonathan has to say about this.” The nickname came to represent the steady and reliable people of Connecticut, and ultimately, the American public."

This is how CT got the nick name of the "land of steady habits".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*His son was the painter.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declar...ence_(painting)

Old 10-24-2022, 11:09 AM

661 posts, read 2,897,260 times
Once a year I fly home to Connecticut and I never run out of places I want to go. One day is Stonington, Mystic, and Noank (so I can finish up with a lobster roll). Another day is that beautiful Rt. 169 ride, going through Pomfret and Woodstock (there's an amazing castle off the beaten path), ending up in Putnam for antiquing and lunch. I always have to go to the UCONN dairy barn. Another day is the northwest corner. Gotta hit Logee's Greenhouse in Danielson. There are places I visit in the older mill towns and also in the rarified air of NW Connecticut. It's a terrific mix.

Want to see somewhere with all too much grit and hardly any history? Come to Augusta, GA, a lively showplace one week out of the year.

Old 10-24-2022, 12:54 PM

366 posts, read 780,875 times
Totally agree with Stylo that the writing is juvenile; lacks any in depth knowledge or savvy. Her summaries of various states are completely predictable, awash in generalities with no specifics to give verity to her drivel. Then there is this:

Quote:
I've visited every state in the US multiple times — and some are simply too overhyped.
Connecticut is overhyped? As a tourist destination? Um, not that I've ever seen.

Old 10-24-2022, 05:17 PM

710 posts, read 403,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C28067302 View Post
Lol I often think that we are the most forgotten state in the entire country
I once met a pretty well off guy on vacation out west who owned his own construction company and had no clue that CT was even a state. He guessed we were near Michigan lol. I told him basically over by NYC. He then said it must get cold sometimes. I told him yes. Yes it does

Point being, while some people may dislike our state, there are people who don't even think we even exist.

Also, why are we caring about some person's opinion of CT? Is this a person of influence or importance?

Old 10-24-2022, 08:36 PM

57 posts, read 47,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
There sure were! In Ridgefield we still had cannonballs lodged in a couple buildings on Main Street to prove it!

Old 10-25-2022, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundTableKnight View Post
I once met a pretty well off guy on vacation out west who owned his own construction company and had no clue that CT was even a state. He guessed we were near Michigan lol. I told him basically over by NYC. He then said it must get cold sometimes. I told him yes. Yes it does

Point being, while some people may dislike our state, there are people who don't even think we even exist.

Also, why are we caring about some person's opinion of CT? Is this a person of influence or importance?
Well because if the population isn't growing it ages out. It's like the private sector, attention is the new oil.

Old 10-25-2022, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C28067302 View Post
Hahah sounds about right! I think I've mentioned this here before, but my bf went to college down south. Most people he met had an idea of where we were, up in new england somewhere, but more than a couple people thought we were over by wisconsin/michigan too!!
It gets worse with foreigners. It's to the point where I just say three hours from NY two from Boston. I thought maybe Sneaky Peat might have helped with bridgeport but not really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut