Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 01:12 PM

6,941 posts, read 3,771,152 times

Advertisements

CT and RI beaches are not better than NJ

I like South Beach on MV. Mattituck on ACK is great too. Don't love any of the Cape beaches, sorry MA peeps.

Forget CT beaches for Aug 26-29. Just take it off the list. It will be dead low tide at prime mid afternoon beach times on those days. CT Long Island Sound beach days at low tide are not ideal.
Low tide at open ocean beaches are hardly noticeable

Have a great stay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2023, 01:59 PM

21,782 posts, read 28,131,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
CT and RI beaches are not better than NJ

I like South Beach on MV. Mattituck on ACK is great too. Don't love any of the Cape beaches, sorry MA peeps.

Forget CT beaches for Aug 26-29. Just take it off the list. It will be dead low tide at prime mid afternoon beach times on those days. CT Long Island Sound beach days at low tide are not ideal.
Low tide at open ocean beaches are hardly noticeable

Have a great stay
I didn’t say better, just different from NC OBX. Which looks like NJ. Not everyone wants straight sandy beaches for miles, all the time.

My uncle from NJ shore loves our coast. It’s interesting to him.

There are amazing beaches in Cape Cod. Maybe you haven’t found them.

Old 05-31-2023, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I didn’t say better, just different from NC OBX. Which looks like NJ. Not everyone wants straight sandy beaches for miles, all the time.

My uncle from NJ shore loves our coast. It’s interesting to him.

There are amazing beaches in Cape Cod. Maybe you haven’t found them.
Not you, the other guy said it

CT coast is very interesting no question, and versatile, you know I know this. Not many here if any at all are out offshore more than I am.

For a strictly beach going day, high tide is a must.

Old 05-31-2023, 02:38 PM

209 posts, read 248,246 times
Newport ri lots to see and do beautiful mansions lots of shopping downtown pretty bed and breakfast places

Old 05-31-2023, 08:36 PM

6,594 posts, read 4,989,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam86 View Post

Hehe! Maine is on the list as well!
Go on a hot day lol!! I went to Ogunquit during a heat wave in August and the water temp was only 63 degrees. But it was gorgeous! I've been there a few times (Ogunquit/Derry area)

Cape Cod is really nice too.

Also Watch Hill or Misquamicut - I haven't been to those in quite a few years so I'm not sure how busy they get these days.

Old 05-31-2023, 08:50 PM

395 posts, read 165,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Go on a hot day lol!! I went to Ogunquit during a heat wave in August and the water temp was only 63 degrees. But it was gorgeous! I've been there a few times (Ogunquit/Derry area)

Cape Cod is really nice too.

Also Watch Hill or Misquamicut - I haven't been to those in quite a few years so I'm not sure how busy they get these days.
I’m always amazed how few people in New England are actually familiar with southern Maine beaches. Wells/ogunquit at low tide is incredible. So much Sandy beach you don’t need to be near anybody if you don’t want to be. Much different from CT public beaches with rocky sand and cigarette butts.

Old 05-31-2023, 10:19 PM

21,782 posts, read 28,131,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW2436 View Post
I’m always amazed how few people in New England are actually familiar with southern Maine beaches. Wells/ogunquit at low tide is incredible. So much Sandy beach you don’t need to be near anybody if you don’t want to be. Much different from CT public beaches with rocky sand and cigarette butts.
I guess I could say the same about your post.

Plenty of CT beaches have nice sand and no cigarette butts.

Just like Wells/Ogunquit, Fort Trumbull in Milford has a massive expanse of perfectly sandy bottom.

Old 06-01-2023, 05:13 AM

395 posts, read 165,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I guess I could say the same about your post.

Plenty of CT beaches have nice sand and no cigarette butts.

Just like Wells/Ogunquit, Fort Trumbull in Milford has a massive expanse of perfectly sandy bottom.
I should have specifically stated Hammonasset , my bad

Old 06-01-2023, 07:44 AM

Wide expanses of sandy smooth bottoms are a pink unicorn in CT. Most are rocky, it's factual mother nature and science from millions of years of formation, but for a simple day at the beach, Milford is hands down the beach going capital of western CT there's just no doubt about it.

Old 06-01-2023, 08:28 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,039,057 times
I'm gonna throw in here. Any New England beaches will be cooler than NC. The farther north the more so. Where to go depends entirely on what you're looking for, as others have noted. To add to that, unlike Cape Cod, RI and Maine coast, Martha's Vineyard, etc, CT isn't typically someplace people go for a "beach vacation." Yes, of course, there ARE beaches, beach houses and certain sort of beach culture on eastern shore. CT also has quaint, lovely new englandy towns etc.

That said, if you're looking for a truely beachy beach vacation start with Cape Cod. You have miles of open beaches (similar to OBX), cute towns, close-packed beach cottages and all that. Also the most varied bodies of water. There's ocean facing (cold, waves, sharks), the bay (warm, shallow, kid friendly) and the sound (south facing, intermediate between bay and ocean wave temp etc, most built up). Won't comment on MV or Nantucket, if you're that sort you probably wouldn't be posting on CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut