Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2023, 07:44 PM

6,934 posts, read 3,766,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonusa3 View Post
Exactly.

It’s like appreciating art, two people can look at the same thing – one sees inspiration the other sees nothing.

…and don’t get me wrong, I don’t dislike the New England coast. My biggest grip with the New England coast is really that I wish there were places that one could drive and the see the sky/sand/ocean. Look at coastal Connecticut, really there are only a few places, maybe Milford, West Haven, Saybrook Point, that a person can drive along the coast and actually see ocean and sand. It’s hard to want to feel the power and awe of the ocean, when you can’t even see ikr to look at a beach. Get out there and get on it, don’t just look at it.

As a side note, if you (or any other travelers on city data) like that old school charm and character that one finds in coastal New England (and I admit some of it does have a cool look to it), try Cape May, NJ. I finally went there this past June not expecting much, and was blown away. Victorian era architecture, court yards, gardens...etc....about 4 hrs from New Haven area. Not really my style but it was interesting to see:
When I’m out on the boat around the islands and in the coves of CT I can’t tell where the earth ends and heaven starts. Charm and character galore. You have no idea. I challenge anyone to beat it.
Who cares about driving on the nations worst transportation infrastructure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2023, 08:22 PM

1,732 posts, read 1,152,559 times
A lot of people are answering this question with recency bias. Yes, it's been milder the last week or two but many years it's scorching in late August.

Old 08-24-2023, 06:48 AM

6,934 posts, read 3,766,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
A lot of people are answering this question with recency bias. Yes, it's been milder the last week or two but many years it's scorching in late August.
Scorching might be a little dramatic for CT. Heat waves are short lived. They'll come and go. We don't get the sustained long stretches.
I find CT weather from mid-August to October or sometimes even November as ideal. The December and Christmas season feels cozy. You really feel that cozy Christmas season spirit here that you don't get in warmer climates. Christmas lights wrapped around a palm tree doesn't work for me. It's just not the same.
Sorry to go off on a tangent.

Old 08-24-2023, 07:42 AM

1,007 posts, read 332,125 times
Quote:

While this year late August has been cooler than normal, generally, it does start to cool down somewhat by late August (fewer days above 85 F ). However, you are right, some years late August can be hot!. The most recent scorcher was just a few years back in 2018. NWS Bridgeport hit 88 F of Aug 27th, 93 F on Aug 28th, and 94 F on Aug 29-30th. NWS Bradley was 95 F and had 105 F heat index.

LOL….and remember, September can still be downright tropical: The record high for almost every single day of the month in September is in the 90’s F – even in coastal Connecticut. Add in some dew point temps of even 70 F and it can easily feel close to 100 F in September as well. We never know what the tide will bring in. LOL.

Attached Thumbnails
Coastal Connecticut Weather in Late August?-mtb.jpg  

Old 08-24-2023, 10:17 AM

10,127 posts, read 15,005,385 times
Quote:
The OP isn't asking about how has been the weather in CT during late Augusts since records have been kept nor of the years to come. He (or she) is thinking of going to coastal CT in late August of 2023. Why would anyone explain what late August weather was like in say the 1800's or in the 1950's or how anyone thinks it will be in the 2040's (I would not be surprised if by then it might be able to grow some species of palmettos in southwestern CT, lol)?

Old 08-24-2023, 10:31 AM

1,007 posts, read 332,125 times
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs2w4Rf11vc
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
(I would not be surprised if by then it might be able to grow some species of palmettos in southwestern CT, lol)? :dubious:
I saw this on TV a few weeks ago. You don't have to wait to 2040...they are growing palmettos in southwest Connecticut already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs2w4Rf11vc

Old 08-24-2023, 05:46 PM

1,732 posts, read 1,152,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Scorching might be a little dramatic for CT. Heat waves are short lived. They'll come and go. We don't get the sustained long stretches.
I find CT weather from mid-August to October or sometimes even November as ideal. The December and Christmas season feels cozy. You really feel that cozy Christmas season spirit here that you don't get in warmer climates. Christmas lights wrapped around a palm tree doesn't work for me. It's just not the same.
Sorry to go off on a tangent.
You have a short memory . A few times in the last few years we've had mid to upper 90's in late August. Remember the debates that happen some years when kids go back and it's still oppressively hot and everyone debates if they should start so early and if all schools should have AC?

It's not showing signs of that this year so people forget this isn't always what happens. Same thing holds true with spring. It will be 42 in April and people say with genuine surprise, "Where is spring!!!?, forgetting that it's often still cold in April.

Old 08-26-2023, 03:27 PM

83,550 posts, read 75,428,957 times
Here's a look at the Max temp for the last week in August

Note: Only 11 years out of 74 had max temp ABOVE 90°.

Typically its Mid 80s end of August and humid.
Rarely just 70s although happened in 1987, 2006, & 1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The OP isn't asking about how has been the weather in CT during late Augusts since records have been kept nor of the years to come. Why would anyone explain what late August weather was like in say the 1800's or in the 1950's
?? That's exactly what the OP is asking. And how can we have an answer without looking at how its been? Would we tell them it's usually in the 30s? So you have to look back and see how it's been

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam86 View Post
What's the weather like in Coastal CT in late August?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut