Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 10:11 AM

6,941 posts, read 3,771,152 times

Advertisements

I did the big house-big yard thing once.
NEV-VER A-GAIN! No way no how.

All the best in the move, enjoy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2024, 12:58 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,966,665 times
Nearly half of Americans in the private sector work in small businesses, so most Americans will NOT end up clicking mice in cubicles for corporate America if you consider the millions more that work in the public sector in local, county, state & federal government & government related jobs (over 7m in public schools alone). Most of the small businesses I've known don't have a lot of room for mouse clickers in cubicles, either, - taxes are outsourced to a local CPA and they might have 1 or 2 people internally doing Accounts Payable & Receivable.

Old 02-08-2024, 01:24 PM

21,783 posts, read 28,131,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notghinsaw View Post
LOL. I'm nuts because you can't read?
No. Avon to Boston might be longer but nothing compares to the traffic hell of FFC > NYC.

You really seem like you live in an NYC centric bubble.

Old 02-08-2024, 01:25 PM

21,783 posts, read 28,131,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1615 View Post
You nailed it.

insurance for a larger home and property can go up

Landscaping costs go up and not just for mowing the lawn but leaf pickup, tree trimming, snow removal (south of the merritt vs north of merritt, one often gets rain while the other snow) etc., etc., Even if you take it on yourself its still more of your time and effort.

Taxes can go up based on the assessment and mill rate

larger space takes up more heat and AC so those bill go up

more rooms to clean, more windows to clean, etc., etc.,

more rooms also equal more furniture and art

more plumbing, more electrical wire, larger roof, larger drive way, going from one oil tank to two oil tanks, going from city sewer to septic, etc.,

animals love large properties, bats, squirrels, chipmunks, snakes, raccoons, shrews. All will come visit your garage, roof, and basement.

also in larger homes kids tend to disappear in them, bigger bedrooms, their own living space sometimes, as opposed to the family gathering in the family room or rec room (could be a plus as well)

As a friend who worked at a Ferrari dealership once told me (I was not in the market for one), you don't save up your pennies to own a Ferrari. Large homes (mcmansion type) are the same way. Stuff will come up you never really thought about.
Home maintenance and services are much cheaper in Hartford area than Westport area. One thing to keep in mind.

Old 02-08-2024, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Nearly half of Americans in the private sector work in small businesses, so most Americans will NOT end up clicking mice in cubicles for corporate America if you consider the millions more that work in the public sector in local, county, state & federal government & government related jobs (over 7m in public schools alone). Most of the small businesses I've known don't have a lot of room for mouse clickers in cubicles, either, - taxes are outsourced to a local CPA and they might have 1 or 2 people internally doing Accounts Payable & Receivable.
Semantics.
I use "Corp America" as really just a metaphor for Microsoft Office Suite products. Small business and the public sector uses those as well.

Old 02-08-2024, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notghinsaw View Post
I understand that you graduated Naugatuck high and now think that Staples school would make no difference for you but I can totally see the difference between graduates from poor schools and graduates from great schools with my own eyes.

You can keep thinking that talented kid studying at staples high will have no advantage over talented kid studying at Naugatuck high. This only shows your ignorance.
Did I go to Waterbury High or Naugatuck? make up your mind, and who said I graduated?

What difference can you totally see? where? in co-workers? you actually asked them where they went to grade school, that's creepy

A talented kid is a talented kid.

Old 02-08-2024, 04:14 PM

356 posts, read 164,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
No. Avon to Boston might be longer but nothing compares to the traffic hell of FFC > NYC.

You really seem like you live in an NYC centric bubble.
Once again: as long as you leave your Westport Mcmansion by 11:00AM (preferably by 10:00AM) Saturday/Sunday you hit very limited traffic as congestion starts to pick up quickly around 11:30-12:00PM when people wake up and head to Broadway shows.

Your experience going to Manhattan 8am Monday morning has nothing to do with weekenders.

Old 02-08-2024, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Did I go to Waterbury High or Naugatuck? make up your mind, and who said I graduated?

What difference can you totally see? where? in co-workers? you actually asked them where they went to grade school, that's creepy

A talented kid is a talented kid.
Like I said, you don't understand the difference between kid studying at waterbury high and kid studying at staples high. You can keep following your guidebook which you mention in every single thread where someone mentions words education/schools.

Old 02-08-2024, 04:22 PM

6,145 posts, read 5,118,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reslinal View Post
How bad is the traffic usually getting into Boston on weekends? Do you think 2 hour drive from Avon/WH to Boston is a good estimate on weekends?
It's a crap shoot, to be honest. I did this drive periodically for 10+ yrs, and still do it occasionally. Getting there is not bad, but leaving Boston? Just make sure you've used the bathroom before you leave. I've literally sat in bumper to bumper traffic on the Mass Pike all the way up until the I-84 entrance. Doesn't even have to be a particular reason for the congestion. It's just bad.

If you're mentally prepared for it, that's fine...I just wouldn't want you to take away that it's a "breeze" by any means.

Old 02-08-2024, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
It's a crap shoot, to be honest. I did this drive periodically for 10+ yrs, and still do it occasionally. Getting there is not bad, but leaving Boston? Just make sure you've used the bathroom before you leave. I've literally sat in bumper to bumper traffic on the Mass Pike all the way up until the I-84 entrance. Doesn't even have to be a particular reason for the congestion. It's just bad.

If you're mentally prepared for it, that's fine...I just wouldn't want you to take away that it's a "breeze" by any means.

And once again you were doing it wrong. As long as you waited till 3am to make it back to Avon you wouldn't have to deal with all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut