Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2024, 09:10 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,077,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Wait a second, I was looking here: https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/dmv/ct...listingpdf.pdf

It looks like way more than 72, even when you minus all the 169 towns listed.
A ton of those are neighborhoods, not villages or boroughs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 10:06 AM

6,904 posts, read 3,742,467 times
what about hamlets? any hamlets in CT?

That's rhetorical. Keep it simple people, don't reinvent the wheel. This thing is already going to outlast the NHL and NBA playoffs

Old 04-22-2024, 12:17 PM

386 posts, read 159,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
what about hamlets? any hamlets in CT?

That's rhetorical. Keep it simple people, don't reinvent the wheel. This thing is already going to outlast the NHL and NBA playoffs
I like this a lot and respect all the work put into it but it is long

I have not attempted to learn so maybe it’s not that complicated but I don’t understand the losers bracket and why there is still so much more to go. Have the final 4 be the ones we just voted on and then the losers. Bracket be for third place

Old 04-22-2024, 12:40 PM

2,184 posts, read 1,641,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW2436 View Post
I like this a lot and respect all the work put into it but it is long

I have not attempted to learn so maybe it’s not that complicated but I don’t understand the losers bracket and why there is still so much more to go. Have the final 4 be the ones we just voted on and then the losers. Bracket be for third place
Yeah it is a bit hard to explain how the loser's bracket exactly works, but once you understand it, it'll make a lot of sense. Take a look at this: https://challonge.com/r0g90t6l (that's the bracket).

This is the very first year I added the addition of double elimination with a loser's bracket. It didn't used to be that way, and what you described above was how I often did it in the past with a few format modifications every time.

However, this is the reasons I added in the Loser's Bracket this time with Double Elimination:

In the past, we were getting very accurate opinions and ranks on what the Top 10-20 towns are throughout the state and how they would fare against each other. However, beyond that, we really did not have much of an idea where the other towns really stood in people's opinions. Like any town outside the Top 20, was really hard to predict where they stood. People could easily make claims that a town was eliminated early because it got a very tough opponent, etc. Like back in the 2016 Tournament, West Hartford was out in the very first round because it drew Old Saybrook; while Shelton made it to the Last 16. I, as well as a few others felt that that wasn't very fair, and it is even hard to know where some of the secondary ranked towns really stand, because the seeding is based on previous tournament results, but that only says so much, and tough draws can happen at anytime. The 2016 Tournament was seeded based on 4 counties. Therefore, the results, especially ones of towns outside the Top 20 had a tendency to be heavily skewed by draws they got, and results in previous tournaments. That included, if a town gotten a tough draw in a previous tournament and got eliminated early, it could really affect the success rate in the next tournament, because seeding for draws was based on previous tournament results.

This Tournament has given me and others a much better idea about where towns outside the Top 20 truly stand, and how they'd fare against each other. It is also a lot harder to make excuses that a town was eliminated early due to a difficult opponent way too early, because a town needs to be eliminated twice in order to be officially eliminated. The Loser's Bracket gives every single town a chance to get second and third place, and eliminates the barrier of being on the wrong side of the bracket for that and getting a tough opponent too early. It still isn't perfect, but it really helps to know where the actual towns stand.

Like for example, a few things we are learning in this tournament is that towns like: New London, Groton, East Haddam, and New Milford are a lot more desirable and popular than we thought before. We are also learning that the Farmington Valley towns are NOT as strong and desirable as we first thought.

Old 04-22-2024, 06:57 PM

211 posts, read 262,612 times
Winners Bracket:

Milford

Guilford

Losers Bracket:

Groton

Greenwich

East Haddam

Cheshire

Southbury

Newtown

New Milford

Weston

Bethel

Norwalk

Trumbull

Salisbury

Kent

Stamford

Woodstock

New Canaan

Old 04-23-2024, 06:15 AM

538 posts, read 331,323 times
Winners Bracket:

Stonington vs Milford

Guilford vs New Haven

Losers Bracket:

Woodbridge vs Groton

Greenwich vs Portland

Farmington vs East Haddam

Middletown vs Cheshire

Southbury vs Southington

Newtown vs Wethersfield

Avon vs New Milford

Weston vs New London

Chester vs Bethel

Norwalk vs Waterford

Trumbull vs Clinton

Simsbury vs Salisbury

Kent vs Deep River

Stamford vs Hartford

Wallingford vs Woodstock

Wilton vs New Canaan

Old 04-23-2024, 08:53 AM

Deadline for Round 7 is tomorrow at 11:59pm CT time guys! Be sure to get any last votes in today or tomorrow!

Old 04-23-2024, 09:03 AM

252 posts, read 139,085 times
Milford has some of the worst zoning I've ever seen. Really don't understand what there is to like about it.

Old 04-23-2024, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okbymeman View Post
Milford has some of the worst zoning I've ever seen. Really don't understand what there is to like about it.
Have you seen Milford beyond just Route 1 and the Mall area? It’s one of the most beautiful towns in the state. The Downtown has a bunch of beautiful historic sculptures, 2 waterfalls, a duck pond, a bunch of great restaurants, and a clear town center vibe that’s walkable and very charming.

The coastline is one of the longest in the state and has tons of beaches. Walnut Beach is the most well known one as well as Silver Sands State Park. There’s also Woodmont, Fort Trumbull, Wildemere, and the Audubon Center along the coast. Really nice beaches.

It’s one of those very well rounded towns that still has a lot of town charm and at least not yet hasn’t turned into a small city, unlike Fairfield, and West Hartford.

For more details, just read along the last few pages of the forum. Seriously this topic about Milford has been discussed here on this thread multiple times already!

Old 04-23-2024, 09:15 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okbymeman View Post
I guess the zoning could be better in some places, but overall it's not much different than most populated towns. Explain your reasoning?

Or are you just one of those people that hasn't ventured beyond route 1?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut