Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2024, 12:54 PM

6,876 posts, read 3,726,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
Yes, you can pick your indoctrination specifically in private school - in either direction. Pass to both. That’s why to me, public school matters a lot when I evaluate a town. Warts and all.
Well if I were in the game my trepidation with privates would be staff motivation as they're far less compensated than publics. Whatever works, you want your kid to reach their max potential, whether that's in a cube farm refreshing data, engineering androids at Nvidia, or measuring the speed of gamma photons in vacuum.
Danny's right, as you go up the rung in rankings you minimize exposure to unmotivated troublemakers but you could still run the risk of social media status wealthy bullying and designer drug use.
It's a cruel world out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 03:00 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,633,538 times
Default Tournament Format / Procedures Explanation

Hey Guys,
I’ve been having a few people DM telling me that they’re very confused about how the tournament is working and what the winners and losers bracket even mean, etc. Therefore, I’ll make a post here and try to explain as clearly as possible:

First of all, this is a Double-Elimination Tournament. This means that every town must be eliminated twice in order to be officially knocked out. In other words, a town must lose twice, usually to two different towns in order to be out of the tournament. When getting nearer to the end of the tournament, there’s a possibility of a few rare situations where one town gets eliminated twice by the same town, but it is very unlikely until the Last 4 towns. It’ll most likely lose to two different towns.

All 169 towns start in the winners bracket. I do not decide the bracket or make the bracket myself. The way I did this was I ranked all the towns from 1-169 based on the coefficient of each town which has been determined based on performances in the previous 5 tournaments. The more recent the tournament has, the more weight the performance has in determining the coefficient of each town, but performances in all tournaments had a say.

The winners bracket starts like a normal bracket. Once a town gets eliminated, it automatically goes to the Losers Bracket. The reason the losers bracket didn’t start until round 3 is because, we need to determine all the first fixtures before we could start it, and that is based on what round they lost in the winners bracket. EVERY SINGLE TOWN, with the exception of the winners bracket finalist will enter the Losers Bracket at some point. Now the more rounds, the town survives in the winner bracket, the shorter route to the final it’ll have in the losers bracket. For example, if a town gets eliminated from the winners bracket in Round 1, it’ll start in the first round of the losers bracket. If a town gets eliminated from the winners bracket in Round 5, it’ll enter the losers bracket around Round 6 or 7.

Please do not ask me exactly how it is done, because I honestly do not know exactly how the Losers bracket works in terms of how the towns are paired and which towns each town gets to face. The Tournament Generator decides that, and I don’t know 100% all the factors that makes it happen exactly the way it does.

The Losers Bracket pretty much works exactly like the winners bracket, with the only difference is that you’ve got new towns entering the losers bracket at different rounds based off of how far the towns went in the winners bracket and which rounds in the winners bracket they got eliminated in. Once a town gets eliminated in the losers bracket, it is officially out of the tournament. In other words, once a town loses in the loses bracket, it’s no longer in the tournament. We will have our first towns officially eliminated at the end of this current Round (Round 3).

The Grand FINALE will be between the Winner of the Winners Bracket and the Winner of the Losers Bracket. The winner of that Final Match wins the whole tournament. Now in most double elimination tournaments, if the Winner of the Losers Bracket beats the Winner of the Winners Bracket, another match is needed because the losers bracket winner will need to beat the winners bracket winner twice in order for the winners bracket winner to be eliminated twice. However, in this sense, I do not see any value in doing that because it’s the same voters voting in exactly the same fixture, so I do not see how that’ll really change anything or make a difference in the results. However, if you guys want me to do it that way, I’ll be happy to, but it’ll just be another repeat of the same fixture / matchup a second time.

Here is a LINK to the bracket if anyone wants to see it visually: https://challonge.com/r0g90t6l

It’ll update every-time I add the new scores in as each round ends and a new one starts!

Does all of this make sense now? If you have any other questions or are still confused, please ask, and I’ll be happy to answer. I’ll try my best to explain as clearly as possible, but it is a bit complicated to understand for people who are not familiar with how tournaments work or that have never seen or heard of double elimination before. I’m just ask that if you have anymore questions, PLEASE ask here in the forum and do NOT DM Me about it. This is so everyone can see it, in case they might have the same or similar questions.

Old 03-20-2024, 04:37 PM

836 posts, read 505,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Well if I were in the game my trepidation with privates would be staff motivation as they're far less compensated than publics. Whatever works, you want your kid to reach their max potential, whether that's in a cube farm refreshing data, engineering androids at Nvidia, or measuring the speed of gamma photons in vacuum.
Danny's right, as you go up the rung in rankings you minimize exposure to unmotivated troublemakers but you could still run the risk of social media status wealthy bullying and designer drug use.
It's a cruel world out there.
All of this is true. Private schools aren't all unicorns and rainbows either for a variety of reasons, including the ones you mentioned. They are not all created equal. Big difference between parochial school and The Country School/Hopkins/Etc, and the ones that are affordable for regular people tend to be those to the religious variety.

Making sure to stay on topic, this factors into my opinion on towns. New Haven, for example, has lots of good private school options available, in addition to the magnet schools. There are parts of the state where the private schools are pretty much all religious. That might work for Danny and some others, but it won't for me. That will be factor.

Old 03-20-2024, 04:43 PM

Quote:
All of this is true. Private schools aren't all unicorns and rainbows either for a variety of reasons, including the ones you mentioned. They are not all created equal. Big difference between parochial school and The Country School/Hopkins/Etc, and the ones that are affordable for regular people tend to be those to the religious variety.

Making sure to stay on topic, this factors into my opinion on towns. New Haven, for example, has lots of good private school options available, in addition to the magnet schools. There are parts of the state where the private schools are pretty much all religious. That might work for Danny and some others, but it won't for me. That will be factor.
Fair enough! To be honest, we are a very religious family so that also plays some influence in our decision making regarding that!

Old 03-20-2024, 05:33 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Coast gets a lot weight around here.
As does FFC

Old 03-20-2024, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
As does FFC
You think so? Considering Fairfield County is the most upscale county in the state, and how a lot of rich people live there, especially southwestern FFC, I feel like it doesn’t get as much weight on this tournament as you’d expect it to on paper. When I tell people about the tournament, people ask what towns are the towns to beat and seem to be favorites to win? Many CT residents not on this forum, actually guess towns like: Greenwich, Darien, or Westport.

So honestly, while FFC does have weight, I actually think it’s less than one would expect.

Old 03-20-2024, 07:19 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Yes, publics no matter how highly ranked are academically overrated. Any baboon fresh off the Savannah can do AP calculus, so what.
I know your speaking more to the indoctrination stuff though, I get it.
Bulls***. Good public schools produce just as good students as private schools. The difference is public schools are diverse and must educate everyone while privates can pick and choose and only expose their students to others like them. That is elitism.

Public schools teach students how to function in the real world with real people. I know a number of kids that went to private schools, even one that went to an elite boarding school. They aren’t doing any better than the kids I know that went to public schools.

Old 03-20-2024, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

Public schools teach students how to function in the real world with real people. I know a number of kids that went to private schools, even one that went to an elite boarding school. They aren’t doing any better than the kids I know that went to public schools.
Academically and career wise makes total sense, but are you sure they’re doing no better personally, emotionally, and with the friends they make? How is their health mentally and emotionally? How are they’re relationships with other people?

I’m not saying all private schools are good because they aren’t. You really need to look at the individual school
itself to really know.

Old 03-21-2024, 05:46 AM

210 posts, read 262,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Bulls***. Good public schools produce just as good students as private schools. The difference is public schools are diverse and must educate everyone while privates can pick and choose and only expose their students to others like them. That is elitism.

I agree with this. My daughter went to a public high school with almost 1000 kids per grade. Very socioeconomically and culturally diverse. In addition, her public school had a tremendous music program which fostered her love of the saxophone. Not all private schools have so many resources when it comes to extracurriculars. And for my daughter, the majority of her friends were met through the various bands that she joined, including competitive marching and jazz bands where they got to travel around the country. For her, there was zero culture shock and zero transitioning issues when it came to moving on to college because she already had some level of real world exposure and knew how to relate to people who didn’t come from the same background as her.. As a college bio major currently in her sophomore year, she is thriving in every way and has friends from all over.

My middle son, on the other hand, has not been involved in the music program. However, he has taken advantage of the computer science and computer graphics programs offered at our public high school, and has been able to tap into these talents and is thriving. He has Aspergers, and would most likely be quite isolated in a small private school with a few if any neurodivergent kids. However, since our public high school is large and diverse, he has a sizable group of close friends. And since he is academically thriving and has been able to tap into his talents due to available public school resources, he has been accepted to every college that he has applied to, including some very elite STEM universities.

Last edited by diydesign; 03-21-2024 at 05:57 AM..

Old 03-21-2024, 06:27 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Round 3:

Deadline: Monday, March 25 at 11:59pm Connecticut Time.

Winners Bracket:

Fairfield vs New London

Norwalk vs Colchester

Old Lyme vs New Milford

Stonington vs Wethersfield

Darien vs Trumbull

Westport vs Southington

Simsbury vs Easton

Milford vs Cheshire

West Hartford vs Monroe

Stamford vs East Haddam

Madison vs Portland

Wallingford vs Oxford

Essex vs Groton

Wilton vs East Hampton

Guilford vs New Canaan

Westbrook vs Woodbridge

Ridgefield vs Bridgewater

Greenwich vs Woodbury

Litchfield vs Brookfield

Farmington vs Lyme

Branford vs North Stonington

Middletown vs Deep River

New Haven vs Cromwell

Salisbury vs Southbury

Glastonbury vs New Fairfield

Newtown vs Clinton

Old Saybrook vs Shelton

Avon vs Waterford

East Lyme vs Danbury

Weston vs Bethel

Losers Bracket:

Note: This is kind of the wild card round / play in match ups for the Losers Bracket. Haddam, Scotland, Prospect, Willington, Goshen, Durham, Sharon, Granby, Tolland, Colebrook, West Haven, Norwich, Canterbury, Bethany, Middlefield, Ledyard, Plainville, South Windsor, Berlin, New Britain, Seymour, Ashford, and Stratford will start in Round 4.

Manchester vs East Haven

North Haven vs Waterbury
In the second bracket it's too hard for me to vote for most of the towns that I have never been to and for the for the most part have never heard of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut