Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1615 View Post
Unfortunately you forgot to cut past money so I will do that for you so you can better educate yourself on their difference. No need to thank me on constantly correcting you.

Money is any item or verifiable record that is generally accepted as payment for goods and services and repayment of debts, such as taxes, in a particular country or socio-economic context.[1][2][3] The primary functions which distinguish money are: medium of exchange, a unit of account, a store of value and sometimes, a standard of deferred payment.
Clearly you fail to understand what is going on behind the scenes. Steve M85 gets it but you don't. And your condescending tone is becoming tiresome.

In everyday life, the term "politics" refers to the way that countries are governed, and to the ways that governments make rules and laws to manage the human society properly. Politics can also be seen in other groups, such as in companies, clubs, schools, and churches.

The above statement very much applies to why Hartford does not have a pro team. And also why UConn was not accepted to the ACC.

And more on the use of the word and how it appropriately applies to this situation.

https://www.thebritishacademy.ac.uk/...t-is-politics/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2024, 07:13 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I’m all for another team of one of the major sports (regardless which one) to establish in Connecticut..

Spoiler
As long it’s in Stamford.

Recently I noticed the new arena created in Bridgeport. Perhaps that arena was created a few years ago, but I notice it just the other day. Why was that built in Bridgeport when Stamford is a more populated and important (-ahem- and safer -ahem-) city in Connecticut?

Just now I noticed they are two. At least one should had been in Stamford.

Why is this in Bridgeport and not in Stamford?
Bridgeport is Connecticut’s largest city with over 148,000 people. Stamford is a distant 3rd with just over 136,000 residents. New Haven is No. 2 with almost 139,000 people.

The Total Mortgage Arena opened in 2001 so it’s been there for 23 years now. It and the adjacent Hartford HealthCare Ampitheater which is new, just replacing a baseball park, are there for many reasons. And for many reasons they are not in Stamford.

I don’t think Stamford ever thought about adding an arena or a music venue. I believe the primary reason neither are in Stamford is that it is too close to New York and the many venues there. Stamford also doesn’t have any colleges with sports teams to use an arena. Bridgeport has Fairfield and Sacred Heart Universities that use/used it.

You have to realize there is a whole lot of state beyond lower Fairfield County and it doesn’t completely rely on New York or Stamford to exist. It is still very prosperous and affluent and quite nice. Even nicer to many than greater Stamford.

Old 03-23-2024, 08:04 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Bridgeport is Connecticut’s largest city with over 148,000 people. Stamford is a distant 3rd with just over 136,000 residents. New Haven is No. 2 with almost 139,000 people.
Whoa! Had the impression it was the second largest city.

I remember the baseball stadium, went to a game there once. Still, Stamford needs something similar as the amphitheater. Just Alive at Five events during the summer months would give it much use and that is only one event.

Old 03-23-2024, 09:40 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,143,716 times
It would take UConn's men's basketball program crumbling. The women too.

Everyone thinks the Bruins and Rangers are the main competitors. Disagree. It was UConn. The Whalers had good success at times both on the ice and at the gate in the 80's. Their decline in the 90's coincided almost exactly with the UConn men rising to national prominence. I'd argue that wasn't entirely a coincidence. Don't think they were competitors? WTIC AM aired both the Whalers and UConn. At one point in the early 90's they decided when they were both playing at the same time, they would air UConn and bump the Whalers. A major league pro team, bumped by a college basketball team. No wonder they moved to Raleigh. The NC State Wolfpack can never manage to upstage in state rivals Duke and North Carolina, let alone an NHL team.

Yes there are some fans that would go to hockey games but not basketball games and vice versa. But there's plenty of overlap. Plenty of competition for fans attention and $$$ during a Connecticut winter. This can never be proven, but I think there is a real chance that in an alternate universe where UConn never hires Calhoun or Geno and they never rise above Big East cellar dwellers, the Whalers never leave.

Old 03-24-2024, 06:25 AM

446 posts, read 249,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW2436 View Post
Very few leave a Yard Goats game really caring if they won or lost.
I imagine that applies at any MiLB game, in any city.

Old 03-24-2024, 06:26 AM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
It would take UConn's men's basketball program crumbling. The women too.

Everyone thinks the Bruins and Rangers are the main competitors. Disagree. It was UConn. The Whalers had good success at times both on the ice and at the gate in the 80's. Their decline in the 90's coincided almost exactly with the UConn men rising to national prominence. I'd argue that wasn't entirely a coincidence. Don't think they were competitors? WTIC AM aired both the Whalers and UConn. At one point in the early 90's they decided when they were both playing at the same time, they would air UConn and bump the Whalers. A major league pro team, bumped by a college basketball team. No wonder they moved to Raleigh. The NC State Wolfpack can never manage to upstage in state rivals Duke and North Carolina, let alone an NHL team.

Yes there are some fans that would go to hockey games but not basketball games and vice versa. But there's plenty of overlap. Plenty of competition for fans attention and $$$ during a Connecticut winter. This can never be proven, but I think there is a real chance that in an alternate universe where UConn never hires Calhoun or Geno and they never rise above Big East cellar dwellers, the Whalers never leave.
You have to wonder if their failure in Connecticut was more to do with not enough “marketing” which lead to many would be Connecticut visitors never going to one of their games.

Not exactly in the same level, but that would be akin to the success of the Maritime Aquarium in Norwalk when there is a bigger and nicer aquarium in NYC, which is easily reached from Norwalk. That people know of the Maritime Aquarium is a major reason it gets visitors, IMO. The same could be said regarding other types of venues such as theatrical theaters given many of the theatrical shows in NYC are of worldclass quality, yet there are several theatrical theaters in Connecticut such as Stamford. Certain events, though they are more of a one time thing, such as the Thanksgiving Parade which takes place in Stamford and is much of a success despite NYC’s Thanksgiving Parade is bigger and within easy access from that part of Connecticut.

Old 03-24-2024, 06:28 AM

370 posts, read 155,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothwynman View Post
I imagine that applies at any MiLB game, in any city.
You’re not wrong. I wasn’t comparing Yard Goats to other minor league baseball teams. I’m saying, don’t compare passive minor league baseball where no one really cares about the outcome or players, to NHL where the casual fan isn’t gonna make a team successful. People need to be fans, get invested and passionate. Suites need to be full, and team will need to be good with exceptions being teams brand new (freshness wears off) or markets with very established fan bases.

Comparing yard goats success and drawing a line to possible nhl team success is silly.

Old 03-24-2024, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Jerry Jones threw a fit when the Oakland Raiders thought about San Antonio a few years ago. He encouraged the owner Davis towards Vegas, and that's where they went.
I don't have time to look it up, but I read where Judge Hofheinz (Astros' original owner) reacted much the same way when the National League thought about expanding into DFW.

Old 03-24-2024, 06:51 AM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
29 teams now average over 15k a game, and with more luxury suites at just about every arena than the XL Center has.

The reality is we are lucky Lamont's interest will NOT be returned by the NHL, unless people would support a brand new 21st century arena likely costing close to a Billion dollars.

The NHL is NOT the low attendance league it was when we had hockey.

https://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attenda...L1927&sid=2024

Old 03-24-2024, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW2436 View Post
You’re not wrong. I wasn’t comparing Yard Goats to other minor league baseball teams. I’m saying, don’t compare passive minor league baseball where no one really cares about the outcome or players, to NHL where the casual fan isn’t gonna make a team successful. People need to be fans, get invested and passionate. Suites need to be full, and team will need to be good with exceptions being teams brand new (freshness wears off) or markets with very established fan bases.

Comparing yard goats success and drawing a line to possible nhl team success is silly.
Yeah, I've attended the occasional MiLB game since I was 18 (I grew up in the Philly area back when the nearest MilB was in Reading, and I got interested in that and other things Berks County when I was getting ready to attend the "other" KU), and these are just guys passing through, hard to attach to. Their movement is at the mercy of the parent clubs and can make or break a team's playoff chances if promoted during a playoff run. It's just a way for the community to get together on the cheap for a night's entertainment. And entertain me, it has, every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut