Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 11:23 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
oh - i knew you would come in with your commentary at some point.

Someone who comes on here and says everywhere should strive to be like avon, simsbury, etc and calls what is actually a suburb the "inner city"...what part of that are you missing?? sorry those aren't differences of opinion. Those are clearly someone without a clue.
No, that is clearly someone with a different opinion than you. Who are you to say who has a clue or not? Do you even know anything about Torrington? If you want to debate, give us some credible information that shows us Torrington isn't that bad - don't just state it as fact amidst insults. (And I'm not saying Torrington is the slums, either). Let people express their opinions without the attempted wittiness on your end - I'm beginning to think you're just out to defend all of the crappy neighborhoods in the state with a chip on your shoulder towards those who grew up in the suburbs. Time to get with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 11:48 AM

44 posts, read 96,072 times
take a look at wall street, james street, franklin street, just a few off the top of my head.... see what is actually going on in those areas.
i have said torrington is sliding/going towards the makings of inner city... in its population, lack of integrity, civic pride. my opinion.

main street has had vacant stores for the past 20+ years!! why is that??? 20 years...vacant, no repairs done! when a main street has a salvation army/ pawn store(which has since left due to lease issues) as its main street everyday base, something is wrong! there being nothing wrong with either business, but as your downtown "draw"?

the warner theater, nutmeg ballet, the newly opened cambridge pub(wish them luck) can not "carry" a main street.

as for the new construction on east side...we all need our staples...and that is what the target and walmart provide. thats it. certainly not a shopping/specialty draw.

interesting discusssion actually....
got me to wondering.... is it generation difference? i have seen and lived better(yes, in torrington), it is what i expect. an area that shows pride.... you know...an avon or a litchfield type of pride. perhaps that is just lost now to following generations....and this(waving hand at torrington) is what is acceptable as "good".

Old 01-02-2009, 12:04 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina923 View Post
take a look at wall street, james street, franklin street, just a few off the top of my head.... see what is actually going on in those areas.
i have said torrington is sliding/going towards the makings of inner city... in its population, lack of integrity, civic pride. my opinion.

main street has had vacant stores for the past 20+ years!! why is that??? 20 years...vacant, no repairs done! when a main street has a salvation army/ pawn store(which has since left due to lease issues) as its main street everyday base, something is wrong! there being nothing wrong with either business, but as your downtown "draw"?
If that's the case, then I agree with most of your feelings regarding the city.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:19 PM

torrington used to be the center, the draw of northwest CT....today it is only a shadow of what it was...what it could have become again. i do not see recovery...i have been waiting 20 years for it.

if i was ambitious, i'd take pictures for you...but its to darn cold.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:21 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,577,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
No, that is clearly someone with a different opinion than you. Who are you to say who has a clue or not? Do you even know anything about Torrington? If you want to debate, give us some credible information that shows us Torrington isn't that bad - don't just state it as fact amidst insults. (And I'm not saying Torrington is the slums, either). Let people express their opinions without the attempted wittiness on your end - I'm beginning to think you're just out to defend all of the crappy neighborhoods in the state with a chip on your shoulder towards those who grew up in the suburbs. Time to get with it.
Yes, because all the info you post is "fact based". Theres the pot calling the kettle...Why don't you pull up some crime stats that compares torrington to the "inner city". Let me know what you find. Everyone on here posts opinions and rarely are they backed up by facts. Funny how you just seem to single out certain people.

As for me defending the "crappy neighborhoods" - didn't you just contradict yourself above by saying torrington wasn't the slums, then you tell me that I defend the crappy neighborhoods?? so which is it??

Anyone who doesn't live in CT and comes on here would think that if you don't live in a hoity toity town and you move to somewhere "average" in this state hat you run the risk of getting shot at or living in what posters think are the slums of CT. How often do you see a Manchester or Vernon type of town listed on here as a place to buy a home for people relocating? Will these peoples children fail if they live in these average income towns?? So while you say that I am defending the slums of CT, I say I am presenting at least a factual version of what CT is - a wealthy state with some upper, middle and lower class communities. When you post - remember that not everyone can afford or even wants to live in a wealthy town and more often than not, thats what people on here are recommending. Sorry for being realistic.

By the way, I grew up in hartford, but moved to the burbs as a young teen - so get YOUR facts straight.

Last edited by Uconn97; 01-02-2009 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: I had more to say

Old 01-02-2009, 02:26 PM

north end of hartford used to be decent at one time too.... but went the way of transistion didn't it??

Old 01-02-2009, 02:45 PM

True - I'm sure torrington is right on track to become the north end of hartford. I stand corrected.

Perhaps you would like to discuss transient populations, the number of rentals in hartford, poverty, etc and how those currently compare to torringtons stats.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:54 PM

torrington is getting a good start on it over the past few years....

why is it so hard for you to accept that torrington over the past 20 years is in a decline, that i do not think it will recover from. i have heard the political rhetoric and urban revitalization for so long here.
you agreed, the north end of hartford used to be a decent place...it slide to a hell hole. was that just a flux of one area in CT? or can other areas also decline? hartford north end was not over night, nor was waterbury...but it happened. i see it happening here.

curious...where do you live? when was your last visit to torrington? your base of comparision of torrington past to its issues now?

Old 01-02-2009, 04:41 PM

um, i don't recall ever saying that i don't think torrington has declined in the past 20 years. Like any town or city that has lost employers - there is bound to be some decline. I just don't see it as grim as you do nor do I think it will get to the point where it is anything like the north end of hartford. A bit dramatic - don't you think?

I spend plenty of time in torrington, I'm well aware that its a worn out town and has its problems. Its just not as grim as you make it out to be. Why are you living there if you are so miserable?

Old 01-02-2009, 04:44 PM

didn't you see my post of house for sale?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut