Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2008, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 19,311 times

Advertisements

After 19 years, I closed my business in upstate NY and took a position with a good company in Stamford. For the past three weeks, I've been looking for a rental with little success.

You'd think it would be easy. I'm respectable looking and in my late 50s. I've been a homeowner since I was 24 years old and know how to take care of a place. I have a good job (although I've only been here three weeks). I do an internet search and dozens of places pop up on my computer screen. So, what's the problem?

Well, the biggest seems to be the dog. Most landlords don't allow any pets. Some allow small dogs. Reto is a St. Bernard.

"But he's a small St. Bernard! He's only 140 pounds, and he's a short hair. Hello? Hello?".

So, I check the boxes marked "cats" and "dogs"... three quarters of the places vanish from my computer screen.

Heck, the landlord should be more concerned about my girlfriend's 19 year old son than the dog. He's the messy one. Just try to get him to wash dishes.

And I don't really have four cats. The Siamese only has three legs, so that's 3 3/4. The dog and the Siamese are best buddies.

I'm on a budget too. No more than $2000 a month, tops. Oops... more dots disappeared off my computer screen.

Let's see... single family or townhouse only, no apartments. Hey, where did all the dots on my screen go??

I'm trying to learn which areas of Stamford and the surrounding communities are nice and which ones aren't. North Stamford and the Cove area are high on my list, as is Darien and Noroton. There are a number of places in Norwalk, but I found that the I95 parking lot isn't a good way to get there. It took me 50 minutes to get to Norwalk to look at a place the other day... ten miles! Norwalk would have to be a last resort.

I'm working with a nice realtor and she's doing her best, but all the landlords using realtors have their commissions built into the rent and the pickings are slim. I've been watching Craig's List and putting likely candidate's addresses into Google Earth to figure out where they are.

Other than being patient, does anyone have any ideas? Living in a hotel and eating out every night is getting expensive, and most of the dumpsters are taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 02:00 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
cOOter - Unfortunately for you Stamford is one of the most expensive places to find housing in the country. Its suburbs are highly desirable and very expensive so that does limit housing options for people of more modest means. Many just move further east to towns like Fairfield, Stratford and Milford and then use the train to commute into work. I wish I could offer you more choices. You might consider expanding your search area to include Port Chester, New York which is just west of Greenwich. It is an older small city that has some rentals. Not sure if you will find what you are looking for but it may help. Good luck.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:44 PM

9 posts, read 15,513 times
You might have to go through a broker. Unfortunately, it is not the most inexpensive way to go, but more and more landlords are using them in this area. How it usually works is that you pay them a $25 fee to fill out an application and then they will do the looking for you. The downside is that you usually have to pay them 10% or a months rent directly to them on top of your rent (sometimes the landlord will wave the security deposit or decrease the amount).

Niki

Old 08-01-2008, 05:00 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Many rentals that allow pets have the following restrictions; Size limitations - and the number of animals. As much as I am an animal lover- a St. Bernard- even a 'small one at 140 lbs' may scare off a potential landlord in offering you an apartment. 1 cat should not be a problem- and I understand your love for them both- especially the handicapped animal.

Also as Jay and others have said- you might have better luck looking to the east-up the CT shoreline for less expensive rents.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:07 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n84p View Post
You might have to go through a broker. Unfortunately, it is not the most inexpensive way to go, but more and more landlords are using them in this area. How it usually works is that you pay them a $25 fee to fill out an application and then they will do the looking for you. The downside is that you usually have to pay them 10% or a month's rent directly to them on top of your rent (sometimes the landlord will wave the security deposit or decrease the amount).

Niki
From where did you get this incorrect information? I'll give you the part about the credit reference/background check. But renters don't pay any other fees, the landlord does. You mention, "in this area." Where exactly would that be?

Old 08-24-2008, 06:29 PM

49 posts, read 188,521 times
Avalon Apartements in Darien. Check it out. No realtor needed. pets ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut