Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2008, 04:33 PM

7 posts, read 23,720 times

Advertisements

hi everyone. my husband and i are looking at moving to the shippan area of stamford. we are from out of town and are not familiar with any of the "good areas" of stamford, so we wanted any advice that anyone has! is this a good area? how is the commute to nyc? does anyone commute using amtrak?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 06:52 PM

184 posts, read 842,330 times
Depends where on Shippan. The further away and toward the water, the better the area. Shippan Point proper is very upscale and exclusive. In fact, in high school, kids who lived in Shippan got their own label: they were known as "Shippanies".

You're nice and close to the main train station. It used to be that you had to drive through a dumpy area to get to Shippan, but I think everything has improved overall down there.

Shippan is some of the nicest real estate in Stamford, next to North Stamford. It has the benefit of being closer to downtown. You don't need to commute via Amtrak - MetroNorth runs more frequently (every 30 minutes) and takes you right into Grand Central Station.

You can also look into Dolphin Cove.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:26 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloSam View Post
You can also look into Dolphin Cove.
To each their own, but i don't see what's appealing about Dolphin Cove. It borders a light industrial neighborhood and Greenwich Ave. and Selleck St. are right around the corner.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:56 AM

64 posts, read 192,134 times
Hi there! I live in Shippan and would be happy to tell you about it. My husband and family moved here 14 years ago and are now in our third house here. We've been part of the "Shippan Shuffle" which involves moving into, fixing up...all the while coveting another, and repeating the cycle. However, we now have just two children at home, and have downsized to our third and final (?) house. You don't say if you have children, but it is a great safe place for kids. Most people would say that the schools are not great....but there are a lot of options in that regard. There are many many people in the neighborhood that send their kids to the public schools, and the majority of them are extremely involved. This is a great place for boating, biking and close enough to ski areas in the winter. My husbands commute to the city was 40 minutes by train, with the Stamford station just up the road 10 minutes. I"d be happy to discuss ad nauseum, also have a great realtor if you need one.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:19 PM

7 posts, read 23,720 times
Thanks so much for your response! We are considering this area vs. areas in New Jersey. My husband is an avid sailor and grew up on the ocean so it is definitely his preference to live in Shippan. My main concern is that we are planning on starting a family in the next year and both of our families live far away. I understand that there is the airport in White Plains but it does not offer direct flights to our families' hometowns. Is the trip to JFK reasonable? Our parents are planning on visiting often, but it would be a pain for them to connect on flights to get to us. Do most people use JFK, or is there another option I am not thinking about? Thanks!

Old 06-18-2008, 04:24 AM

64 posts, read 192,134 times
I guess I would say White Plains is more of a corporate airport, short flights. JFK and LaGuardia are the two major airports in NY...and depending on what time of day, can take anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hrs to get to. Some use Hartford, which is about (again traffic) 1.5 hrs going north. I wouldn't let the airports sway you too much as no matter where you live here, the airports are a pain in the butt. How do you know of Shippan? When we moved here, the realtors barely acknowledged it's existence and kept showing us property in North Stamford. We only found out about it from our neighbor in Dallas (where we were living at the time) as he previously lived in Wilton and sailed in Stamford. Long story short, we love Shippan.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:01 AM

184 posts, read 842,330 times
LaGuardia is closer to Stamford than JFK and offers direct flights to many, many cities. There's usually short walks to the gates (compared to other airports I've seen). For flying out of the NY area, I prefer White Plains in a lot of cases, even if there's a connection vs. no connection. Security is quick and easy. It's also easy to check in closer to flight time if you happen to be running late. White Plains used to service mainly Chicago, Philly, DC, Boston and the like, but now has direct flights to Cincy, Cleveland, Atlanta and several cities in Florida.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:02 AM

2 posts, read 7,495 times
Default Shippan

Love Shippan!!! - 20 years

Check out this link

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/02/realestate/02living.html?scp=5&sq=shippan%20point&st=cse[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut