Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 08:37 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,554 times

Advertisements

Depends on where you live I guess.

That is the other thing that people don't take into consideration when moving to NC, you are going to make less money. So the property tax savings is pretty much a wash.

The drafts that come into our "new" house are amazing. It is that churn em and burn em mentality. That .18 acre lot kills me too. No room for the kids to run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 08:47 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormweary View Post
Question: Could a person live reasonably on $38,000 a year up there?
That's hard to say without knowing the details. Do you have a decent down payment? Will you be renting? Living solo? etc etc

Old 02-12-2007, 09:09 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
That's hard to say without knowing the details. Do you have a decent down payment? Will you be renting? Living solo? etc etc
As a rule, use 2 1/2 to 3 times your salary to find your home purchasing power depending on debt ratio and down payment.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:50 PM

182 posts, read 811,079 times
I realized after I posted my question that it was a bit vague... it would be just me. I think I'd rent for 6 or so months to make sure I like my surroundings. I'd like to find something(house or apartment) around a 1000 a month ( or less!).( I need 2 br, I have alot of junk... ) I was wondering what utilities were on average. I do have some money set aside for a down payment on a house I can eventually tap into.....
I've done some of those cost of living analysis on line thingys and they are all over the map

ok How much does a gallon of milk cost? (Vernon, Manchester area)

Old 02-12-2007, 04:16 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
I own a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath 1100 square foot Townhouse in Vernon- I bought new in 1992 for 89K- its market value now is around 169K. Taxes are $2048.00 a year- homeowners is $165.00. Attached garage, skylights, end unit- vaulted ceilings, wood floors on the first first level. patio and private garden, private, quiet small complex (24 units) self manged- condo fee $120 a month.

I buy a gallon of milk at the citgo station (1%) for $2.19 ...gasoline is $2.20 a gallon.
I have Yankee gas for heat- bills are not too bad-budget plan $70 a month- this next bill will be high.
Electricity has gone UP with CL & P- the idiots in power here a few years ago- The Republican Gov- Rowland, and the Demo speaker of the house decided to deregulate- what a failure- now all parties concerned are trying to get CL & P and UL to generate their own power again -the public and the politicians are NOT happy with the way prices have gone up.

Last edited by skytrekker; 02-12-2007 at 04:31 PM..

Old 02-12-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Electricity has gone UP with CL & P- the idiots in power here a few years ago- The Republican Gov- Rowland, and the Demo speaker of the house decided to deregulate- what a failure- now all parties concerned are trying to get CL & P and UL to generate their own power again -the public and the politicians are NOT happy with the way prices have gone up.
To chase a rabbit for a minute, I think deregulation was a good thing. BUT the problem is there is no competion because there are no major power generators in the state! So the monopoly stays a monopoly only it's deregulated now.

My mother actually services TXU customers (Texas Electricity) part time to keep herself busy and they have a ton of competition and choice and prices have dropped considerably.

The state only went half way with deregulation - the other half would have been to make it so a business case could be made for someone to invest in generation here vs TX or VA etc. Right now they look at our regulations etc and say "ah, no thanks".

Old 02-13-2007, 07:41 AM

Skytrekker: I wondered if there was natural gas in the area but you said you had Yankee gas so I am assuming it is available . Your town home sounds lovely!

Here the cost of milk has gone up to 3.45 a gallon in the grocery stores. CVS has it at 3.09. Gasoline sounds about the same and the cost of a movie on a Saturday night is $9 at the major movie chains....

Wondered about the summers: do you run the air conditioning much?

Old 02-13-2007, 10:32 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,554 times
Gas in NC is a little bit cheaper although our cost per gallon of milk as of last night was $3.89. Of course, groceries are much more expensive here.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormweary View Post
Wondered about the summers: do you run the air conditioning much?
Sometimes. We get a week or two that makes you sweat like you were in the South on a normal day. I'm a cold freak so I put a window AC unit in the bedroom and freeze it down so I can get all snuggled up in the comforter etc. Electricity is not bad at all with that set up as you are only cooling the room you want.

What we do get here at night is a nice COOLDOWN at night so an open window with a fan will make you nice and comfortable too. It's such a delite to settle in or go for a walk on a nice cool Summer night - unlike FL where the humidity hangs like a blanket even at 2am and you sweat just breathing. lol

Old 02-13-2007, 07:16 PM

JVeillo:
That is pretty much how I remember the summers in upstate N.Y.. Maybe 2-3 weeks in August were "hot" but it always seemed to cool down at night. thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut