Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 03:01 PM

70 posts, read 437,959 times

Advertisements

Ok people...My husband and I are back on Monroe...we really can't decide where to live! We've been to PA, NJ, CT...we've even considered TX!

But we always come back to CT. We liked Monroe, especially around the Whitney Farms area...Question...since there is no "town center", where do you shop? I see a CVS and dry cleaners...but where is the home depot? Target? Is there no major shopping in the area?

Please help!
Michelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2007, 03:29 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,434,161 times
The nearest Home Depot to Monroe is either in Derby or Bridgeport at this moment. It would not surprise me though if they built a store in Newtown, with all of the other stuff going in on Rt 25 but I'm not guaranteeing anything. The nearest Target is in Trumbull. The nearest Stop and Shop is about 20 minutes from the center of Monroe.

The thing I like about my area up in Danbury is all of the shopping that is near by. There are two home depots and a Lowe's within 10 minutes of my house (and I can walk across the parking lot of my real estate office to one of the home depots). Target is about 3 minutes from my office and about 12 minutes from my house. I can be at the Danbury Mall in 5 minutes and 8 minutes from my office.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:08 PM

93 posts, read 394,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
The nearest Stop and Shop is about 20 minutes from the center of Monroe.
There is a Big Y and a Monroe Food Mart right on Monroe Tpke (Rt 111) about 5 minutes from the center of town. With Route 25 in town and Trumbull right next door, you should have no problem running your daily errands.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:57 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,759,574 times
Quote:
The nearest Stop and Shop is about 20 minutes from the center of Monroe.
According to www.stopandshop.com, here are three locations for the folks in Monroe:

100 Quality St
Trumbull, CT 06611 (5 miles)

898 Bridgeport Ave
Shelton, CT 06484 (5 miles)

228 S Main St
Newtown, CT 06470 (6 miles)

This is hardly a reason to delete Monroe from your list!

Old 02-18-2007, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livindoll View Post
Where is the Target?
Hi Michelle,

Connecticut now has 14 Target stores. With 169 cities and towns in the state, you can see that the majority of residents have to travel to get to a Target. I am in Cheshire and am lucky enough to have two nearby: Meriden and Waterbury. We will NEVER have a Target in Cheshire due to our zoning.

Rich

Last edited by Rich Lee; 02-18-2007 at 12:06 AM.. Reason: Duplication of word

Old 02-18-2007, 12:14 AM

Quote:
The thing I like about my area up in Danbury is all of the shopping that is near by. There are two home depots and a Lowe's within 10 minutes of my house (and I can walk across the parking lot of my real estate office to one of the home depots). Target is about 3 minutes from my office and about 12 minutes from my house. I can be at the Danbury Mall in 5 minutes and 8 minutes from my office.
Livindoll,

It's not always advantageous to have so much retail in one's town. In Cheshire, we are fortunate to have a Home Depot in four of our surrounding towns: Wallingford, Southington (2), Waterbury, and Hamden. It's the same for Wal*Marts. Of course we would like to benefit from reduced property taxes. However, we're grateful not to have the excess traffic the comes along with having these stores in town.

As for malls, Westfield Shoppingtown - Meriden is only 10 minutes away. It all depends on what is important TO YOU.

Rich

Old 02-19-2007, 09:31 AM

11 posts, read 77,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livindoll View Post
Ok people...My husband and I are back on Monroe...we really can't decide where to live! We've been to PA, NJ, CT...we've even considered TX!

But we always come back to CT. We liked Monroe, especially around the Whitney Farms area...Question...since there is no "town center", where do you shop? I see a CVS and dry cleaners...but where is the home depot? Target? Is there no major shopping in the area?

Please help!
Michelle
The trumbull shopping mall is 10 miles from whitney farms GC, there is a home cheapo 7miles down the street, rt 110 to rt 34 in derby.......there will be a new state of the art super stop & shop across the street from DD, as soon as the lawyers from the big Y stop their BS.....

and Michelle remember......at home depot, you can ruin it & they can help......... JtP

Old 02-19-2007, 03:01 PM

70 posts, read 437,959 times
So Joe...is Monroe a really nice town? I can't really get a feeling for it. We don't want to move our daughters there and then find out it's a dump. I don't think it is based on the price of homes there. I'm a shopper and I live in on Long Island in a town that has 3 D&D's in 5 sq miles!

Old 02-19-2007, 06:09 PM

11 posts, read 77,858 times
Livindool, Monroe in not a dump or even close...it`s a rural town, with a mostly white population. But over the last 10 -15yrs, it has become over developed. There are houses everywhere, but it is a nice place to live & raise children...It`s a quiet town, with a low crime rate, good public schools... There is a town park (web mountain) there is a town recreation center (wolf park) with a 15 acre trout pond, that has a beach & walking trail around it. sports fields everywhere.......

as for shopping there are major malls within 20-30 minute drives, Danbury, Trumbull, Milford all have malls......if you want boutiques, you go south...fairfield, westport, wilton, new cannon, stamford, greenwich...

we also have 3 DDs with in 5 sq. miles........plus 2 DIs

If your looking for space & privacy, I would look in easton or redding.

if you need more info, let me know........ JtP

Old 04-11-2007, 10:52 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoethePainter View Post
The trumbull shopping mall is 10 miles from whitney farms GC, there is a home cheapo 7miles down the street, rt 110 to rt 34 in derby.......there will be a new state of the art super stop & shop across the street from DD, as soon as the lawyers from the big Y stop their BS.....

and Michelle remember......at home depot, you can ruin it & they can help......... JtP
Joe is right that a new Stop & Shop Supermarket is being built on Monroe Turnpike. It received town approval last year but has been tied up in getting its State Traffic Commission approval for the last year. It just received that approval last month. The delay had nothing to do with Big Y or any lawsuits. Jsut thought I should set the record straight. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut