Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2007, 11:35 PM

3 posts, read 11,208 times

Advertisements

Read a lot of posts these days in this forum and really enjoy these useful information. Well I still think with more details you guys might help me. Any thought and experience is highly appreciated!

I plan to move to CT coz my wife might be working in Bridgeport or NYC. I work in Midtown and used to commute for more than 2 hours one way. I just feel a little bit tired doing that any more.

1) We are looking for a nice neighborhood where we can get a house of 2500 sqft with 4 beds and 2 bath (standard colonial) that is fewer than 20 years old. We don't need a big yard and actually prefer a smaller one (0.2 - 0.5 will be best). The highest strech for us is mid 800K but we will feel more comfortable with mid 700K.
2) I will really feel good if the commute time is less than 1.5 hours for me. Of course the shorter the better.
3) We don't have children now and are planning that after we settle down in CT. So school is not that crucial to us right now and we can move 10 years later if needed.

Based on you guys' other posts I was researching on Ridgefield and Fairfield. It looks to me that there are not many newly (<20 y) built houses in these places that are in my price range. And I am not sure how long does it take from Fairfield to NYC door to door.

Considering shorter commuting time is a crucial factor for us I am looking at Stamford. The crime index does not look that good but seems it's a recommended place to live by many people, websites. Am I able to get a decent house there within my price range? I can compromise to a Townhouse as a tradeoff of good commuting. How long does it usually take to get to the Metro North station?

I see many nice houses in Danbury but is it too far to commute to Midtown in 1.5 hours?

Thanks ahead and please threw any light you have in your mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 05:46 AM

10,064 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Good morning. I live in Stamford, so I can mainly comment on housing in Stamford. My partner and I purchased a cape cod-style house in May 2006 and absolutely love it here. It's super quiet, super safe, it has a very "small town" feeling with mom and pop stores--yet is 44 mins by train to Manhattan. There are many, many homes in Stamford that meet your criteria. I think the ideal Stamford location is North Stamford--home to winding streams and ponds, curvy country roads, forested lots, lush landscaped middle-to-upper-middle class (to very wealthy) homesites. It's a really lovely area to call home. I've seen homes up to 3,200 sq feet in North Stamford for $779k--3 or 4 bdrms w/2 or 3 baths. Prices have dipped somewhat, like I said, but this is a city where your value will basically hold, and for the longterm, it is only going to appreciate. The Ritz Carlton condos/hotel is planned for downtown, Trump's Parc tower is under construction, the Highgrove luxury condo tower with prices starting at $1.3 million is being built, and there are many investment bank headquarters rising in the area. It's a great little city of 120k and growing. Very high quality of life.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:52 AM

10,064 posts, read 14,434,667 times
By the way, check this house out:
property details connecticut real estate from william raveis real estate, one of the leading real estate agencies in connecticut, featuring homes for sale in ct: fairfield, ridgefield, hartford, greenwich, stamford, litchfield
It is right in the heart of Stamford--2 miles to the Metro North station--2.6 miles to the Merritt Parkway. Might be what you are looking for...

Old 10-17-2007, 07:14 AM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
happycdbasten - The train ride from Fairfield station to Grand Central is a little over an hour depending on the train you take, so you could keep your commute under 90 minutes if you lived there. There are many commuters that do this daily. Fairfield is right next to Bridgeport so if your wife ends up working there, her commute would be very easy. The nice thing about Fairfield is that it is a town that you can start out in and stay in as you finances improve. The schools are excellent and it has just about anything you would want in a town.

You are right about not being able to get newer construction in your price range in just about any of these towns. That is because these are pretty mature communities and there just isn't the land available for a lot of new construction. This is pretty much true for most of Fairfield County.

I will say that the commute to Manhattan from Danbury can be difficult. I am not sur eit can be done in less than 90 minutes. The Danbury area is more affordable and there are newer homes there in your price range. I would note though that the commute to Bridgeport would not be that good from the Danbury area. It is mostly back roads, some of which are congested (Route 25).

If you really want to reduce your commute and are not concerned about schools, then Stamford would be a good bet. Also possibly Norwalk. The commute to Bridgeport would not be bad but it is not as easy as Fairfield. This type of a decision though is only one that you and your wife can make. Good luck, Jay

Old 10-17-2007, 06:01 PM

3 posts, read 11,208 times
Thank you guys for these insightful information. It looks Stamford is our best option and we will start looking around after knowing where my wife is going.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:02 PM

65 posts, read 206,406 times
Default Here are some houses in Stamford and Fairfleld (I'd stick with Fairfield)

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycdbasten View Post
Thank you guys for these insightful information. It looks Stamford is our best option and we will start looking around after knowing where my wife is going.
Hope this help!!
check out these properties!

REALTOR.com: Find a Home - Listing Detail

Old 11-02-2007, 06:23 PM
AOG

1 posts, read 3,744 times
hi, i am reading through this thread and am beginning to look in CT.I am interested in Northern Stamford but our max is $750k. We have two small children and would like a family friendly town. I know schools are all over the board in that area but do know that many people do choose the public schools. do you know which ones are more favorable?
thank you.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:36 PM

6 posts, read 23,101 times
Have you started your search in Stamford? It is a sensational, thriving, exciting, diverse place to live! I'm a realtor in Stamford, and have lived here for almost 14 years. Stamford is a large small town that you will love! There is always so much going on -- downtown is vibrant with lots of restaurants and shopping and has a very metropolitan feel. It is growing like crazy and very exciting! The commute to NY is about 40 minutes. Just minutes from downtown is suburbia. North Stamford is within your range now because it is a buyer's market Moderator cut: no soliciting/advertising allowed

Last edited by da jammer; 11-23-2007 at 05:38 AM..

Old 11-27-2007, 01:08 AM

8 posts, read 34,796 times
Just dropping a note to say I was born and raised in Stamford and will go back as soon as I can. It has gotten a lot more expensive but it offers sooo much. You have NYC close but can come home to a relatively safe and close knit community at night. Great place to raise kids.
Just sending out my love since I miss it sooo much. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut