Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 05:03 AM

48 posts, read 99,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I understand that you need to relocate. I'm saying that for the interim, while he is a student, you should avoid those cities. After he has graduated, you can revisit whether or not you wish to live in one of those cities.
Oh ok. Why do you say that? Is it because of the school systems in those cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
IMHO - You would be better off finding an apartment closer to this job than Connecticut. You might post this on the New York Boards and find recommendations closer to the Bronx. New York can be pricey but there are some affordable locations. If your heart is set on Connecticut though, then consider Stamford for travel reasons. Note though traffic through Westchester can be difficult and I do not think that Metro-North goes near Throgs Neck but I could be wrong. Good luck, Jay
Thanks Jay. I have done that also. I do not really want to live in the NYC area, that is why i am looking into the outskirts. I will look into Metro North's website to see what stops it makes.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:06 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmy View Post
Oh ok. Why do you say that? Is it because of the school systems in those cities?
Yes. Based upon what you stated previously about wanting the best school, and no "gang" influences of any sort, your best bet is to avoid city high schools. Some high schools, like Stamford High and Brien McMahon in Norwalk appear to be fairly decent for a "city" high school, but, i'm assuming from what you've posted that you're looking for a school that doesn't have typical inner city issues.

It's not my intent to discourage you from moving to Stamford, Danbury, or Norwalk. I just think it would be better if you live in a town, rather than a city, until your son graduates from the public school system.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Yes. Based upon what you stated previously about wanting the best school, and no "gang" influences of any sort, your best bet is to avoid city high schools. Some high schools, like Stamford High and Brien McMahon in Norwalk appear to be fairly decent for a "city" high school, but, i'm assuming from what you've posted that you're looking for a school that doesn't have typical inner city issues.

It's not my intent to discourage you from moving to Stamford, Danbury, or Norwalk. I just think it would be better if you live in a town, rather than a city, until your son graduates from the public school system.
Ok, Thanks Stratford CT... point taken. What towns would you suggest? You have to excuse me, I don't know anything about CT. I don't know the cities from the towns. See that is what I love about this site. I have learned a lot.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:03 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmy View Post
Ok, Thanks Stratford CT... point taken. What towns would you suggest? You have to excuse me, I don't know anything about CT. I don't know the cities from the towns. See that is what I love about this site. I have learned a lot.
Don't get hung up on "city" vs. "town." Unlike New York, it's a case of either/or.

Take, for instance, Poughkeepsie. Within the boundary of the Town of Poughkeepsie is a separate and distinct boundary for the City of Poughkeepsie with separate sales tax rates, etc.

For instance, if you're looking for Danbury, don't worry if it's a city or a town (by the way, Danbury is a city).

According to wikipedia, here is a list of Connecticut's cities:
Ansonia (NH)
Bridgeport (F)
Bristol (H)
Danbury (F)
Derby (NH)
Groton (NL) - not consolidated with the town of Groton
Hartford (H)
Meriden (NH)
Middletown (M)
Milford (NH)
New Britain (H)
New Haven (NH)
New London (NL)
Norwalk (F)
Norwich (NL)
Shelton (F)
Stamford (F)
Torrington (L)
Waterbury (NH)
West Haven (NH)
Winsted (L) - administered by the town of Winchester

When someone is suggesting that you stay away from Connecticut's cities, they usually mean: Bridgeport, Hartford, New Haven, Waterbury, New Britain, Norwalk, Meriden, Norwalk, and Danbury.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:02 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
Don't get hung up on "city" vs. "town."
I don't agree with that theory in this case.

In the case of the parameters that she has set forth, what i stated about avoiding the cities is applicable. Had she indicated a willingness to commute from Milford, Shelton, Derby, or Ansonia, i would have touched upon the city/town designations. I think we don't want to cause the OP any more confusion with regard to something that is frankly, irrelevant to her situation.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:08 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
Stamford is also a city (not included in Rich Lee's list of cities to generally avoid), and often people are advised to avoid Stamford if they are looking for really good schools. As Stamford is a city, the schools do have some issues commonly found in cities. But Stamford to NY would be one of the easiest commutes. But with a budget of 1200-1400, I'm not sure you could find a 2 bedroom apt. in Stamford anyway. The towns around Stamford have excellent schools, but they are even more expensive than Stamford. Fairfield up the line a bit has very good schools, with a train station, but your commute would be longer. You might look into Westport between Stamford and Fairfield, they have good schools, but I'm not sure if you can find something within your budget there.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Stamford is also a city (not included in Rich Lee's list of cities to generally avoid), and often people are advised to avoid Stamford if they are looking for really good schools. As Stamford is a city, the schools do have some issues commonly found in cities. But Stamford to NY would be one of the easiest commutes. But with a budget of 1200-1400, I'm not sure you could find a 2 bedroom apt. in Stamford anyway. The towns around Stamford have excellent schools, but they are even more expensive than Stamford. Fairfield up the line a bit has very good schools, with a train station, but your commute would be longer. You might look into Westport between Stamford and Fairfield, they have good schools, but I'm not sure if you can find something within your budget there.
Thanks andthentherewere3.. well initially my budget was 1500, but i probably could go up to about 1850 with no sweat. I mean right now my son goes to a school here in the city of virginia beach, but the school is very good. It has some of the issues that most schools face in cities, but overall, good education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut