Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 08:12 AM

243 posts, read 774,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb View Post
So it's ok to go steal or kill to get the nicer car or bigger house, just because you don't have it? How about actually working for it? THIS is the problem with many inner cities - take what you want from those around you if they have more. People spend way too much time worrying about who around them has what. If you have enough to keep you happy, then shut up and let everyone else live their own damn lives. If you want more, whether its a car, house, food, security, or whatever, then go out and work for it instead of looking on others with envy and then grabbing what you can with violence.

I know that it's harder to get a good education and advance your situation when you don't start with much, but there are plenty of kids who are able to overcome these odds and succeed in life. My folks both grew up poor in a bad area of the Bronx, and somehow they managed to get a job after high school, put themselves through community college at night, and save enough to move to a safer neighborhood to raise their family. And, somehow, they managed to get that life where they could afford the S-class if they wanted it, without actually stealing or killing to get it.

There's an overwhelming sense of entitlement in our world today, especially with our youth (note: I'm only 32, so I guess I'm the older part of today's youth), in that everything is owed to them, and they shouldnt have to work hard to get whatever their goals are. You see it in sports (steroids, HGH), business (don't get me started on those Finance crooks), personal lives (sleep with whatever you want and damn the consequences), interpersonal relationships ('surface' friendships on places like facebook), etc. Nobody works for anything anymore, whether it's working hard at a job or working to keep a friend or make a marriage work, and that is where the rot is coming from. Terrorists don't need to waste their times or lives on our country - we're doing a fine job destroying ourselves on our own.

Sorry, I know I went a bit off topic, but I'm just sick of hearing about how people shouldnt feel guilty by stealing or killing to get ahead. As for the OP - if the Bloods really are roaming the halls of Stratford schools, then my advice to you is to sell your house and take a loss if you must, and move to a town that doesn't have these problems (and don't leave a forwarding address at the post office). Unless your child did some drastic offense or is a high up member of the crime organization, they wont bother tracking you down if you just get the hell out of dodge.
Did I say it was okay to rob and steal to get things? I did not. What I am saying is that this is what happens today. That's why people sell drugs, thats why people steal and that's why people kill. To get what they want, or because they are envious of what others have.

I'm sick of hearing the "my parents made it story, they were immigrants/grew up poor" etc. I know this happens. It's great. But not everyone wants to work that hard for it when it can come at an easier cost. Simple. People in this nation are greedy. I hate that, but that's life and you're not going to change it at all. People who grow up inner-city poor result in turning to crime because it's the easiest way to get out of their situation and they see everyone else doing it.

I think people should work hard to make it, but it's just not going to happen as long as their is easier, illegal activity to improve a situation.

As for JayCT I think telling me that Stratford's crime is well below the national average. I know that. I was telling brasscityblueandwhite that Stratford has dangerous neighborhoods, which it does. Go down to the west side bordering Bridgeport and tell me its not violent over there. It is, in some spots just as bad as Bridgeport. The reason Stratford has lower than average crime is because the city as a whole, for the most part, besides the area bordering Bridgeport are working, middle, or upper middle class neighborhoods where crime does not occur.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:38 AM

200 posts, read 611,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post
Gangs work by fear and intimidation. They do "randomly" select who they recruit and gangs do not let someone just walk away. They do not approach someone and say "would you like to be in our gang?" No, ok, have a great day!" Many gang members reluctantly join for fear of their lives.

And that is REAL LIFE, honey!!!
My husband studies criminology. CT has virtually NO real gangs. Where are they? Los Angeles/Santa Monica area mostly. Some in Florida and a small amount in NYC. Gang activity in CT really doesn't exist. USMC: if only you knew what gangs were really like.

I don't disagree with the OP, I find their claims SHADY. They definitely came here with some sort of agenda because what they are saying just doesn't add up. I would've called the cops long ago. That the OP didn't (and came to a public forum to post this information) should tell everyone something.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:45 AM

756 posts, read 2,219,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle's Best 28 View Post
My husband studies criminology. CT has virtually NO real gangs. Where are they? Los Angeles/Santa Monica area mostly. Some in Florida and a small amount in NYC. Gang activity in CT really doesn't exist. USMC: if only you knew what gangs were really like.

I don't disagree with the OP, I find their claims SHADY. They definitely came here with some sort of agenda because what they are saying just doesn't add up. I would've called the cops long ago. That the OP didn't (and came to a public forum to post this information) should tell everyone something.
Sorry, guess you told me... But you are wrong...There are gangs in our cities..give the Hartford, New Haven police a call....

Old 02-27-2009, 08:51 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,577,840 times
Quote:

Exactly

Old 02-27-2009, 08:52 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
I find their claims SHADY. They definitely came here with some sort of agenda because what they are saying just doesn't add up. I would've called the cops long ago. That the OP didn't (and came to a public forum to post this information) should tell everyone something.
Perhaps the OP will have 2nd thoughts regarding whether or not she is ultimately endangering her son's safety further with her posting regarding this alleged gang involvement. The option to ask a moderator to delete this thread is certainly a tool that is available to her.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:06 AM

132 posts, read 331,634 times
Quote:
Sorry, guess you told me... But you are wrong...There are gangs in our cities..give the Hartford, New Haven police a call....
I know a few officers in Bridgeport through kids friend's parents.

I agree that there are gangs here just like most metro areas. The big difference between here and places like LA is the gangs here are more localized and don't conduct random acts of violence. The gangs you describe are more the gangs in the 1980s and early 90s, mostly out west, where youth in places like Oakland, Compton and Inglewood had to join gangs so they, themselves, wouldn't be killed. Here, its almost like messing with a yellowjacket. You'll get stung if you do, but if you don't mess with it or tempt it by wearing perfume or other scented products, you'll be fine. ''Gangs'' here are very easy to stay away from which is why I'm surprised and somewhat confused as to exactly what is going on with the OP. I feel like we are missing at least part of the story.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:36 AM

756 posts, read 2,219,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundthecorner059 View Post
I know a few officers in Bridgeport through kids friend's parents.

I agree that there are gangs here just like most metro areas. The big difference between here and places like LA is the gangs here are more localized and don't conduct random acts of violence. The gangs you describe are more the gangs in the 1980s and early 90s, mostly out west, where youth in places like Oakland, Compton and Inglewood had to join gangs so they, themselves, wouldn't be killed. Here, its almost like messing with a yellowjacket. You'll get stung if you do, but if you don't mess with it or tempt it by wearing perfume or other scented products, you'll be fine. ''Gangs'' here are very easy to stay away from which is why I'm surprised and somewhat confused as to exactly what is going on with the OP. I feel like we are missing at least part of the story.
You may be right about missing part of the story. However, did the OP ever claim not to have called the police? I may have to go back and reread.....

As in many threads I have seen, here is a poster, hurting, looking for advice, scared and posters are attacking her. Its really sad to me and shows the nature of people on this forum. Could someone explain what is meant by "a hidden agenda?" Honestly, this is city-data - lets keep it in perspective.

I respect different opinions ....but not people who claim opinions as facts. Especially, when they are wrong!

Old 02-27-2009, 09:49 AM

235 posts, read 783,510 times
Quote:
I respect different opinions ....but not people who claim opinions as facts. Especially, when they are wrong!
Glad to hear it. I assume you will then be responding to my query, based on your claim that Bunnell HS "has a lot of racial tension"? Some of my friends with kids there would love to hear more about this.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:54 AM

235 posts, read 783,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Maybe Hartford, nish? Or is Hartford also worse than Newark now?
Nah, I need someplace safe... like the Gaza Strip.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:09 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nish2006 View Post
Glad to hear it. I assume you will then be responding to my query, based on your claim that Bunnell HS "has a lot of racial tension"? Some of my friends with kids there would love to hear more about this.
If Richard Weizel, the intrepid reporter for the Ct. Post claims it's true, well it must be then!! Like the big "stabbing" that occurred at Stratford High, lol.
//www.city-data.com/forum/6298744-post20.html

If you want the real complete news about your town, without the sensationalism, read the local weekly paper(i.e.: Monroe Mirror/Stratford Star/Trumbull Times/Etc.). If you want titillating headlines and incomplete stories, read the Post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut