Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 10:32 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times

Advertisements

I think you see planned comunities in other parts of the country because their communities are so large and tned to be built in unincorporated areas. It is also to provide the services needed for a large community (security, water, sewage, etc.) and to protect investments with the establishment of Homeowners Associations. Connecticut does not have unicorporated areas and the services needed are provided by the towns. Also we do not really have a need for HOA's here. Personally I dislike the whole idea but maybe if we lived in another part of the country I would change my mind. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 03:03 PM

287 posts, read 623,515 times
There is one in Fairfield, though it is a rarity to find such a community.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:55 PM

81 posts, read 212,807 times
Do you have the name of the Fairfield community?

Old 03-05-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whome224 View Post
There is one in Fairfield, though it is a rarity to find such a community.
There is? Other than condo's, I do not know of any. You have a few private neighborhoods like The Ridge or areas where there are associations like Lake Hills. I am not aware of any that are like the OP described. Jay

Old 03-05-2009, 09:10 AM

The Ridge has a pool, a tennis court, and a clubhouse. Although the homes are custom built and not planned, it may be what the OP is looking for. The lots are all 2+ acres.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:22 AM

756 posts, read 2,218,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whome224 View Post
The Ridge has a pool, a tennis court, and a clubhouse. Although the homes are custom built and not planned, it may be what the OP is looking for. The lots are all 2+ acres.
Isn't that located in Greenfield Hills? JayCt may have more info, but my guess is that those homes are well over 1 mill.

I have to agree, beautiful neighborhood

Old 03-05-2009, 10:16 AM

I would not call The Ridge a planned community and it is certainly not what the OP described. It is a private gated community that has large multi-million dollar homes (mansions really) on multiple acre lots. There may be some common facilities. I know there is a guardhouse at the entrance. Not sure about the pool and tennis courts but many of the homes have their own.

This development was built on the original Pepperidge Farm which was a large estate (not the country farm that the company would have you believe in their advertisements) owned by the Rudkin family. Henry Rudkin was a wealthy Wall Street broker. His wife, Margaret Rudkin founded the company Pepperridge Farm there in the 1930's when she started making whole wheat breads in the kitchen of the manor house they built in 1928 (she had servants to help). She started selling the breads to local stores and then started manufacturing it in Norwalk. Before long it became a major company that was bought by Campbell Soup. Jay

Old 03-05-2009, 10:53 AM

Jay,

There are definitely common facilities at The Ridge. I wouldn't, however, classify a 4,000 sq ft home that needs updating (there are quite a few of those there; some bigger) a "mansion". The OP didn't specify a price point, which would be helpful, but this community is just that -- a community.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:16 PM

I have not seen any homes in The Ridge under 5,000 s.f.. Most are well over that. The definition of a mansion is subjective, so I while you may not classify them as such, others would. I certainly would not classify them as McMansions either.

Except for the original mansion and its out-buildings, none of the homes are over 20 years old (most are much newer), so I doubt "quite a few" require updating. In fact there is new construction for sale there right now. Jay

Old 03-05-2009, 01:45 PM

The homes as you enter tend to be smaller. While there is a new construction, that is the exception rather than the rule. The homes were built beginning in 1985. Some, therefore, are older than 20 years old. Likewise, there is also a property for sale that is less than 4000 square feet. It, too, needs updating. And by updating I do not mean electrical work, etc... I am talking about countertops, appliances (yes, some have appliances from '85!), dated cabinets. Things people who live in pricey homes shouldn't have to deal with.

I must say, the location and the homes are beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut