Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 06:32 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,868,386 times

Advertisements

I saw what you are speaking of from Wallingford to Fairfield as well. I believe the State of CT is doing the cutting. As for the wood chips, they are ok to leave as is and will be good for the ground. Some of them are probably coming from stumps that have been ground down or limbs that have been made smaller. Give the state a little more time to clean up the mess. That is a lot of miles of tree cutting and will take some time to get all the stumps taken care of.

This is done every year if I am not mistaken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 06:42 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Lets see, we cut back trees 2-4" in diameter, and they grow back thicker and more full in a few years. So we have to cut them down more frequently and there is more to cut. (Hey we need more people and trucks! Give me money!)

Yep, sounds like good planning to me.

The proper way would be to ELIMINATE the undergrowth, not just cut it back.

I would expect since this is an "needed" evironmental "issue" they will be cutting back all undergrowth in state forest land as well.

P.S. They seemed to miss a ton of choking bittersweet vines alllll over 384 on their last trip. I bet those are good for the tall trees as well.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:09 PM

44 posts, read 96,072 times
if i remember correctly...a tree fell on the highway a few years ago...killing/injuring(?) someone. it was stated then that all trees would be cut back to the required distance from any roads.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:53 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Lets see, we cut back trees 2-4" in diameter, and they grow back thicker and more full in a few years. So we have to cut them down more frequently and there is more to cut. (Hey we need more people and trucks! Give me money!)

Yep, sounds like good planning to me.

The proper way would be to ELIMINATE the undergrowth, not just cut it back.

I would expect since this is an "needed" evironmental "issue" they will be cutting back all undergrowth in state forest land as well.

P.S. They seemed to miss a ton of choking bittersweet vines alllll over 384 on their last trip. I bet those are good for the tall trees as well.
While I agree things should be done right the first time, the money just isn't there. I'm shocked that someone who complains about paying taxes toward public education is suggesting we spend more money on eliminating undergrowth in the woods near a highway. Or multiple highways, actually. hmm

Old 03-28-2009, 05:02 PM

83,525 posts, read 75,333,969 times
christina923, yes. I remember that. I think it killed someone and then I remember reading they were going to clear the road more. But that still does not explain the cuts 50 feet in. The trees are only 20 feet tall.

I'm pissed because it's so true we idiotic humans are just stabbing the earth. Leave the trees be. Just to save a life we're killing our future. Leave the scenic drive of the Merrit. Not to mention the dense woods between the homes and parkway.

How many times do we have high winds that can knock down trees (40mph+). How many times has someone died or got injured from it?

Hey, I got an idea, hurricanes knock trees down all the time...lets make a law you can't plant any trees where Hurricanes hit. !!

Old 03-28-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHere View Post
christina923, yes. I remember that. I think it killed someone and then I remember reading they were going to clear the road more. But that still does not explain the cuts 50 feet in. The trees are only 20 feet tall.

I'm pissed because it's so true we idiotic humans are just stabbing the earth. Leave the trees be. Just to save a life we're killing our future. Leave the scenic drive of the Merrit. Not to mention the dense woods between the homes and parkway.

How many times do we have high winds that can knock down trees (40mph+). How many times has someone died or got injured from it?

Hey, I got an idea, hurricanes knock trees down all the time...lets make a law you can't plant any trees where Hurricanes hit. !!
You can thank the obnoxiousness of News Channel 8 for that, since they ran a story on it, went after people and plastered their faces all over TV. So, for them personally, it's either deal with that or get the petty stuff done.

WTNH is a joke. Except for Ann Nyberg - she's cool.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:45 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
While I agree things should be done right the first time, the money just isn't there. I'm shocked that someone who complains about paying taxes toward public education is suggesting we spend more money on eliminating undergrowth in the woods near a highway. Or multiple highways, actually. hmm
Oh please.

Doing it right the first time is always cheaper then doing it over multiple times so take your attempt at a pot shot and move on.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Oh please.

Doing it right the first time is always cheaper then doing it over multiple times so take your attempt at a pot shot and move on.
So we should spend countless dollars uprooting trees along the Merritt, but lessen your taxes so public education in CT as a whole suffers?

Just because I disagree with you, and point things out that don't match up, doesn't mean it's a pot shot. Good day.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:11 PM

657 posts, read 1,600,177 times
*flame suit on*

WOW. with the exception of a few posts that make sense, (Jay, you got rep for KNOWING what you're talking about) I see a whole lot of complaining and moaning over something that really is NOT to your detriment like you might say. For example..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHere View Post
Just to save a life we're killing our future. Leave the scenic drive of the Merrit.
"killing our future"??? you've got to be kidding me. get a grip. It's evident that you're more concerned with a scenic route than the life of your fellow citizens.

If you're wondering why some dumb lookin okie is in your precious forum rockin the boat, I moved here from CT. While i miss that place and would love to move back, attitudes like these are just another check on the list of reasons not to.

Last edited by JayCT; 03-29-2009 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: Removed flame

Old 03-28-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J double R View Post
If you're wondering why some dumb lookin okie is in your precious forum rockin the boat, I moved here from CT. While i miss that place and would love to move back, attitudes like these are just another check on the list of reasons not to.
A simple look at the upkeep of towns, natural beauty and international awareness (or, shall I dare say, education) makes me very happy I live in Connecticut over, specifically, Oklahoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut