Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 01:15 AM

5 posts, read 7,439 times

Advertisements

Can anyone make a recommendation about which neighborhood and/or schools in Westport would be worth looking at for a first time buyer ? what are the negatives that should be avoided?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 04:24 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,971,192 times
there are no bad neighborhoods in Westport - there is just very expensive and very very expensive. All of the public schools in Westport are outstanding and many top high school students go on to elite universities.

Unless you are willing to live in a condo or rent an apartment, I'm not sure if Westport is affordable for a first time home buyer. (there seem to be a couple of small condos on sale for under $400,000)

Old 04-02-2015, 05:00 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,954,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
there are no bad neighborhoods in Westport - there is just very expensive and very very expensive. All of the public schools in Westport are outstanding and many top high school students go on to elite universities.

Unless you are willing to live in a condo or rent an apartment, I'm not sure if Westport is affordable for a first time home buyer. (there seem to be a couple of small condos on sale for under $400,000)
This. While it's all relative, most people don't associate Westport with affordable. Fairfield would be the better town to look at for affordability.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:16 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,153,534 times
Nothing really to add except: What's your budget? That might help us direct you to nearby towns.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:18 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,628,571 times
Not sure what your budget is and how much you are willing to struggle to live in Westport if you have to. I've seen plenty of people do it, then bail once the kids are done with school - and the schools are great. Some quickly sold or just let the house go.

Also, consider what your kids will be exposed to and how you will handle it. Westport is a great place to raise a kid in my opinion. My sister is doing it but it can be challenging sometimes since her kids are surrounded by kids who get things easily and live affluent life styles. She is by no means poor, but she did have to knock my nephew on the head when he refused to look at state schools, thought a new lap top and cell phone came at a certain age, and was embarrassed that he didn't vacation every single school break. Of course, it's all relative and not every kid is like that but just consider these things especially if you are keeping up with the Jones' type.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:14 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,729,916 times
Consideirng the median house price is over $1 million, the words "affordable" and "Westport" don't belong in the same sentence.

Not hating on Westport. The town is beautiful, but depending on what your budget is, it can be really expensive even for a starter home. Fairfield is just to the east and that town is more affordable (though still pricy) so this may be worth a look.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:00 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,188,296 times
Maybe it's affordable from the OP's perspective. Great town, can't go wrong in any neighborhood. Probably the best downtown in the area, the nicest coastline and beach in SW CT, schools goes without saying. The bottom rung of single homes is in the $500-600Ks area that are either run down fixer uppers, or smaller modest homes right off the Post Rd or I95. The Saugatuck section is generally the more affordable area in town.
What?? only 2 Fairfield recommendations so far!

Old 04-02-2015, 08:04 AM

21,794 posts, read 28,166,701 times
There is nothing in Westport that is "affordable", unless you mean "under $1 million" by affordable.

Saugatuck area and condos will be the cheapest, but still very expensive for what you get. Some of the Saugatuck area is a little rundown, but there are some decent older homes there and it's safe.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:27 AM

34,978 posts, read 57,065,662 times
I agree with the others. There really are no bad neighborhoods in Westport. The entry level in Westport is pretty high though. The cheapest home on realtor.com is a mobile home (yes, there is a mobile home park in Westport) for $365,000. That would be right off the Post Road and you would be very close to your neighbors. The next step up are a couple of old modest colonials and a small ranch for the low $400's and then a couple of more in the upper $400's. Whether these homes are located next to or near a nuisance (I-95, the Post Road, a difficult business, etc.) is unknown and something the OP would have to weigh in their decision making process. Jay

Old 04-02-2015, 08:58 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,628,571 times
[quote=Raider111;39058560]Maybe it's affordable from the OP's perspective. Great town, can't go wrong in any neighborhood. Probably the best downtown in the area, the nicest coastline and beach in SW CT, schools goes without saying. The bottom rung of single homes is in the $500-600Ks area that are either run down fixer uppers, or smaller modest homes right off the Post Rd or I95. The Saugatuck section is generally the more affordable area in town.
What?? only 2 Fairfield recommendations so far![/QUOTE]

I'd certainly recommend Fairfield. It's not cheap either, but a very cool town that's a little more down to earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut