Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 05:57 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,868,386 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are big advocates of adopting dogs/cats from shelters. The city of West Hartford/Hartford rents a building from the city of Newington for sheltering rescued dogs. They have a website where you can go look at these dogs who are up for adoption; this is also where we adopted our Pit Bull...Alice...who is an absolute angel and probably the most loveable dog we have ever owned. Please go see the 8 month old Pit who is up for adoption, also other puppies as well as a 10 year old Pit who is being fostered. Don't be afraid of Pits...not ever... The breed is very much misunderstood. The website is wwwhartforddogpound.com

Take one of these poor abandoned babies home...you won't be sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 11:01 AM

41 posts, read 144,782 times
Thank you for this post! I also thinks its a great idea to adopt from a shelter and its great to spread the word I am looking to adopt a dog soon and will be sure to check out their site.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:39 AM

103 posts, read 427,982 times
Great reminder! Shelter dogs make great pets and they do wonders for the adopter's spirit. Adopt a shelter dog and be prepared to be thanked every day.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:24 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,868,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Beganski View Post
Great reminder! Shelter dogs make great pets and they do wonders for the adopter's spirit. Adopt a shelter dog and be prepared to be thanked every day.
Amen. When we first saw our little pit, she was probably about 25 pounds and had been confiscated by the Canine Officers I believe in Hartford area. She was found tied to a dumpster...had recently had babies and was mortally thin. Someone took her babies and she evidently got left behind. We fell in love with her immediately. She is black with a white chest and 4 white paws and when we saw her for the first time she was absolutely filthy...had only been recently confiscated. We had to wait 7 days before we could take her home but when we did get her home, I physically picked her up and went into the shower with her holding her. She already had kennel cough when we first got her and I had her that very night at the emergency vet. hospital in Cheshire...then more visits to the vet in Yalesville...it took weeks but she did get better.

I slept with her, wiped her little nose for her and rubbed her belly when she would cough her little heart out....She wouldn't eat for the longest time, so I bought baby food in the meat flavor, put it on my fingers and rubbed it on her gums so she would get some nourishment. From baby food, we advanced to moist dog food and I had to sit with her and put the moist food in my hand and let her eat out of my hand. She still stand by her dish and waits for permission to eat. I will never forget the first day she totally ate on her own; it was a coconut donut! We were so excited, we made sure we had plenty of plain donuts on hand for her.

Now, she has been spayed, is up to 54 pounds, has a beautiful black coat with chocolate flecks, her white chest has a pattern to it.....it is the Hawaiian symbol for LOVE!

Old 03-16-2010, 01:29 PM

61 posts, read 244,728 times
Those of you who adopted or newly added a dog to your family, how did you deal with home owners insurance. My insurance had mentioned that they will drop us if we add any of the larger dogs.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:37 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
You might want to post this in the Pets section.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:38 PM

61 posts, read 244,728 times
Thanks. Heading over there...

Old 03-16-2010, 01:38 PM

269 posts, read 607,793 times
I've heard that Pitbulls have a strong prey drive and don't do well with smaller animals like cats. Anyone familiar with the breed know about this?

Old 03-16-2010, 01:41 PM

332 posts, read 522,835 times
Adoption is great (that's how we got our cat), but unless you're willing/able to adopt a pit bull I've found it's next to impossible to adopt a dog in CT if you aren't the "perfect" candidate (ie have an adult that doesn't work, fenced in yard, etc, etc).

Old 03-16-2010, 08:11 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubulus View Post
Adoption is great (that's how we got our cat), but unless you're willing/able to adopt a pit bull I've found it's next to impossible to adopt a dog in CT if you aren't the "perfect" candidate (ie have an adult that doesn't work, fenced in yard, etc, etc).
Yes and no. I was rejected by one agency but approved by another. I don't think either was located in Connecticut though. The one that gave me the green light is Abandoned Angels in Bayside, Queens. They deal with Cocker Spaniels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut