Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 10:45 PM

73 posts, read 244,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Do you have any statistics that show they are moving in? OR are you just finding real estate transactions I.E. the Jews purchasing property for investment reasons.
</p>
The old Uconn campus in Waterbury is now a Yeshiva. The city made a deal with the Orthodox Jewish community that if 100 Jewish families moved to Waterbury they could have a long term contract to use the old Uconn campus. They surpassed the 100 family mark several years ago. Yes, you can now keep kosher in Hillside. There is a smaller Yeshiva in the North End of Bridgeport with several houses converted to dorms. They are also in the Edgewood section of New Haven. They come to CT cities because they see value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 01:54 AM

428 posts, read 832,124 times
Hartford is dangerous if you are a criminal. Since the good folks here like to post links and stats lets see some showing crime against innocent people is prevalent. The North End has many safe and middle class streets, also has many crime ridden streets. Hartford overall has many crime ridden areas and many safe areas.

Last edited by JayCT; 04-29-2009 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: Removed offensive language

Old 04-29-2009, 04:13 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
You are obviously confusing me with someone else who never ventures into the city.

I suggest you start by reading this:

//www.city-data.com/forum/conne...ern-day-8.html

My (the second) post should enlighten you. I'm simply a person that calls a crime a crime and good behavior good. Take that as you wish, or ignore reality if you must.

Last edited by JayCT; 04-29-2009 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: Removed quote & flame comments

Old 04-29-2009, 04:58 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
If someone in Hartford or New Britain wants to escape the violence they can move to a small city like Bristol which is more akin to a suburb than a city. The rents in Bristol are often cheaper than those in Hartford and New Britain as well.

There are other communities throughout Connecticut, such as Enfield, where a safer environment and better schools can be found for often the same or cheaper rents. I don't understand why anyone would subject their family to an unsafe environment especially if they don't need to.

It saddens me when you hear the mother of a young child murdered stating there is nothing they can do and the fear for the safety of their other children. The can and should do something, move!

Old 04-29-2009, 06:33 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,161,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
If someone in Hartford or New Britain wants to escape the violence they can move to a small city like Bristol which is more akin to a suburb than a city. The rents in Bristol are often cheaper than those in Hartford and New Britain as well.

There are other communities throughout Connecticut, such as Enfield, where a safer environment and better schools can be found for often the same or cheaper rents. I don't understand why anyone would subject their family to an unsafe environment especially if they don't need to.

It saddens me when you hear the mother of a young child murdered stating there is nothing they can do and the fear for the safety of their other children. The can and should do something, move!
Sometimes it's just not that easy for people. You have to factor the situations of others. It's not that easy for some people to just pick up and move.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
You are obviously confusing me with someone else who never ventures into the city.

I suggest you start by reading this:

//www.city-data.com/forum/conne...ern-day-8.html

My (the second) post should enlighten you. I'm simply a person that calls a crime a crime and good behavior good. Take that as you wish, or ignore reality if you must.

P.S. I notice more than 50% of your posts on CD are spent arguing about "race". I really hope you are not trying to "go there" with me.
I'm glad you have researched my history gives me a sense of validity. This article does nothing to dispute anything I said. Which is exactly the issue here on this fora. People are either purposely inflammatory or not intelligent enough to interrupt the information they read. Not to say your post were apart of that or not. But in this thread much of wat you said had a tinge of inexperience.
Actualy I've never argued about race once on here. Try to stick to the facts and not try slandering me.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
Sometimes it's just not that easy for people. You have to factor the situations of others. It's not that easy for some people to just pick up and move.
Plus Bristol and Enfield are horrible places, lacking in culture, restaurants and general character.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:33 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,435,073 times
Bristol and enfield are perfect places for people to move to if they would like a place much safer than Hartford at a relatively small budget and also have somewhat decent schools as well.
Nothing wrong in that.
There are some really nice areas of Enfield and Bristol..

And how is it NOT that easy for people to pick up and move??
You give your notice, rent a new apartment in a better town and MOVE your stuff!!

Old 04-29-2009, 01:52 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,161,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Bristol and enfield are perfect places for people to move to if they would like a place much safer than Hartford at a relatively small budget and also have somewhat decent schools as well.
Nothing wrong in that.
There are some really nice areas of Enfield and Bristol..

And how is it NOT that easy for people to pick up and move??
You give your notice, rent a new apartment in a better town and MOVE your stuff!!
I agree with you that Enfield and Bristol are much safer communities with a better school system.

I never said it wasn't easy for everyone living in Hartford to pick up and move. It isn't that easy for some people. Especially those who are living on a limited income. Some people choose to live in the Hartford area because they lack transportation and need to rely on taking a bus. When I first got married, we didn't have a car for a period of time. We had to rely on public transportation to get the kids to daycare, go grocery shopping and get to work on a daily basis.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:06 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post
Plus Bristol and Enfield are horrible places, lacking in culture, restaurants and general character.
"Horrible"?

A horrible place to me would be Baghdad. Not Enfield, CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut