Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 06:01 PM

3 posts, read 9,060 times

Advertisements

We are moving from SF bay area to Connecticut as my husband is working in NYC. I really like the sound of New Fairfield but was wonder what the commute is to Grand Central Station. I also like Ridgefield but know sure of the conmmute either.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 08:05 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njhutchins View Post
We are moving from SF bay area to Connecticut as my husband is working in NYC. I really like the sound of New Fairfield but was wonder what the commute is to Grand Central Station. I also like Ridgefield but know sure of the conmmute either.

thanks
The commute from New Fairfield is a haul, but people do it. You would have to take the train out of Southeast in Brewster, NY. The trip is about 90 minutes I believe on the train, so add on 15-20 minutes for the drive to the station and however long it would take to walk to your office. Ridgefield is the same, just a shorter train ride as you would get the train in Katonah, NY.

What is your price range? I would suggest lower Fairfield County for you but it is very expensive.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:31 PM

Default kidyankee

it will depend but im figuring between 800,000 and 1.1 depending on if we keep our house here in california. We'd like to be by the water but he doesn't want a longer commute than 50-60 min at mostand we need good schools for a jr higher.

Thanks,

njhutchins

Old 04-16-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
it will depend but im figuring between 800,000 and 1.1 depending on if we keep our house here in california. We'd like to be by the water but he doesn't want a longer commute than 50-60 min at mostand we need good schools for a jr higher.

Thanks,

njhutchins
You might want to check out lower Fairfield County, which is more expensive but much closer to Grand Central. Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan, Westport and Wilton all have modest homes for $1m. The further out you go, the cheaper it becomes. Fairfield (not New Fairfield) is a nice town - it is diverse and in a great location. All of these mentioned towns have excellent school districts. Also, all of the towns are on LI Sound except for New Canaan and Wilton, but both of which are not more than 20 minutes away. All of these towns also have the convenience of Metro-North stations.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:33 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
To keep your commute under an hour, you will have to live in lower Fairfield County. Start with Greenwich, it is the closest to New York. It has excellent schools and many wonderful neighborhoods. With the recent downturn in the economy homes there are a bit more affordable than they were but beware they are still pricey. Greenwich is one of the wealthiest and most desirable towns in the country so you are going to pay $$$ to live there. The links below will give you information on the schools there. Keep in mind that Greenwich is known for sending their kids to private schools for the high school grades so you may notice that the high school students do not perform as well on state tests (Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests) as other towns.

The next closest town is Stamford which is a large city. It has many nice neighborhoods and homes but is known to have some issues with their schools. Many people there send their kids to private schools, particularly in the upper grades.

Next up the line is Darien and New Canaan. Both excellent towns with excellent schools but again very pricey. The train ride to New York is just under an hour from Darien, so this is probably the furtherest out you will want to go unless you increase your commute. I hope this helps. Jay

Strategic School Profiles by District

Strategic School Profiles by School

Old 04-17-2009, 02:23 PM

Default black harbor

Can anyone tell me about black harbor in bridgeport. I have read bridgeport isn't the best but will that take away from living in black harbor? really want to be close to the water if not on it...

Thanks

Old 04-17-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Can anyone tell me about black harbor in bridgeport. I have read bridgeport isn't the best but will that take away from living in black harbor? really want to be close to the water if not on it...

Thanks
You probably mean Black Rock Harbor. That is a decent area in a struggling city with high crime. The city as a whole is another world from the suburbs previously suggested to you. If you want to be part of the slow process of gentrification, you may like Bridgeport. I, personally, wouldn't suggest it for you if you can spend $1m on a home.

As for right on the water, check out Southport in Fairfield, Old Greenwich in Greenwich, and Rowayton in Norwalk (if schools are not a concern for you).

Old 04-17-2009, 05:23 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:

Thanks
Black Rock absolutely won't work for you. The commute will be way beyond what you posted, and there wouldn't be a good public middle school available.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:41 PM

756 posts, read 2,219,338 times
Quote:

Thanks,

njhutchins
It may be a slightly over an hour commute, but look at Westport. Beautiful, upscale town on Long Island Sound with excellent schools. Metro North station, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut