Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 06:35 PM

54 posts, read 408,505 times

Advertisements

How is West Haven. House prices are very cheap in this city. How is specifically Lamson St. area? and how is Forest Elementary, Carrigan Middle, and WHHS? I heard taxes are very high. I see nice properties here for such a great price though. Any info would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 05:52 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
Taxes are very high and the schools are pretty bad. There is a reason the housing costs look so attractive as opposed to neighboring towns like Milford and Orange. I lived in WH for a short time and just about everyone in my neighborhood sent their kids to private school. My neighborhood was nice, I lived near Pagels school near the Milford/Orange town lines. I looked up where Lamson St is since I never heard of it. That area is OK. Certainly not the nicest area in WH, and nearing one of the crappiest areas which is where Elm St turns into Kimberly Ave near the New Haven line.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:44 PM

3 posts, read 11,396 times
i almost bought in WH once, then i took a long hard look at it,, no way... i dont even care for the beaches there... yuuckk!

Old 04-09-2007, 02:47 PM

639 posts, read 2,711,626 times
WHS has a good high school football program.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:28 AM

9 posts, read 133,455 times
I just also relocated to West Haven. What is the BEST Apartment Complex in or near the area?

Old 04-13-2007, 04:31 PM

54 posts, read 408,505 times
Default How is this area?

How is Washington Ave area, above and below Elm St?
How is Richards St?

Old 04-16-2007, 11:30 AM

152 posts, read 478,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh2020 View Post
How is Washington Ave area, above and below Elm St?
How is Richards St?

I briefly lived on the corner of Washington and Elm and it was okay. Noisy street, but it was close to the green and I used to rollerblade down to the beach/Chicks area. I liked the area and while it doesn't compare to Milford or New Haven beaches/nightlife/parks/restaurants, it was a fine alternative if you don't want to spend a lot of $$ and are okay with living a town over.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,219 times
How is West Haven for someone getting ready to attend New Haven University

Old 04-27-2007, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 3,173 times
West Haven is a good town...however, like most places some parts are definately nicer than others. I 've lived in WH all my life...I attended Forest & Carrigan School. I have 3 small children who attend school in WH (2 in PreK, 1 in 2nd Grade)...the Elementary schools near my neighborhood are very good! The high school is what it is...it's huge and it services many children. If parents are involved they usually have less to worry about. In fact as things go...today, I challange anyone to say that thier HS does not have its share of problems! Anyway, WH has excellent park rec programs, little leagues, and a beautiful beach and boardwalk. During the summer there is dancing on the boardwalk and concerts on the green. WH does have a diverse population! There are many young families who are just starting out! And...WH does have high taxes...but if you take a closer look at our surrounding towns...their taxes are also on the rise. If you are single, anywhere near the beach is nice. If you have a family, the areas that border Milford are the nicest...anywhere off of Jones Hill Road, South Street, Benham Hill, Woodmont Road, or Shingle Hill Road.

Any middle class family would be comfortable in this town! GO WESTIES!

Old 05-04-2007, 07:20 AM

3 posts, read 11,396 times
Default re

let me rephrase my response above.

I looked at many houses in WH and after thinking about it.. decided NOT to purchase a home there. First off...Taxes were high..too high for me. I have spent alot of time in WH , have a few family members there and what i saw alarmed me..kinda.. if i was to purchase a home, 30year mortgage... what would the city be like in 30 years? 20 ears? 10 years? it was hitting a really low pint back in the mid 90's and i didnt like where it was heading so i bought elswhere. Although i would have loved to be near the water i decided i can drive to the beaches if need be. WH is nicer now as is Milford (where I work) and wouldnt mind living in if i could afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut