Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 05:11 AM

15 posts, read 64,857 times

Advertisements

I know overall the school district is excellent, I was just wondering are there any considered less desirable than the others? We found a house we love, it's zones for Calvin Leete. Also, does anyone know anything about daycare in that area?
So far we are looking at the Kindercare on Boston Post Rd., Cradles to Crayons, Paddy Cakes, and Madison Learning Center in Madison. Any experience? Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 06:41 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,630,032 times
It used to be (1980s) that A.W. Cox and Calvin Leete were considered better than Guilford Lakes and Melissa Jones, but that has changed and the schools are now viewed to be very similar. The physical conditions of the schools may vary, but I personally would decide based on the schools' teachers and on which neighborhood you really like. The 1980s view was due largely to the demographics of the people who lived in the various school zones, but there is no longer the degree of north-south gradient in educational/cultural values in neighborhoods. People who live near or north of Route 80 are not necessarily "rural types," which used to be the stereotype.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:48 AM

146 posts, read 453,799 times
Agree with the previous poster. When you talk to people in town, they tend to feel that their school is the best, which ever one that happens to be. So they are all very good.

As for daycare, I don't know about those particular centers, but keep in mind the med school has an excellent daycare center too. You might prefer to have the children closer to where you (or DH) is working. There may be a waiting list, but you should check it out.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:50 AM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Towns with good education systems like Guilford have pretty stringent curriculums and standards. They would not tolerate substandard schools like large school systems in other parts of the country. I would concentrate more on the neighborhood and home than worry about individual schools in guilford. If you really want more information though, check the websites below. Jay

Strategic School Profiles by District

Strategic School Profiles by School

Old 06-01-2009, 09:32 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,630,032 times
If you have questions about specific neighborhoods or life in Guilford, feel free to send me a direct message. I will be more candid privately.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:32 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut